Nest Secure (Alarm System) and Nest Cam IQ outdoor and Nest Hello (Doorbell Camera) and Nest Temperature Sensor and Nest x Yale Lock

same here!!!

Are you using home/away assist in your nest app? It gives you the option to turn on/off your cameras based on your presence. The nest secure can send you a reminder to arm your system when it senses your away.

Yes I use that but it just gives a reminder, doesnā€™t automatically do it. I have 4 family members using the home away feature so I canā€™t watch for notifications all the time when no one is home.

I posted the following a couple days ago in the NST Manager thread for fyi on what API is available:

As for turning on/off your cameras you have a few choices:

1. Usng Home / Away Assist directly in Nest as was stated in another post above.

2. Creating Mode Automation in NST Manager to perform actions based on ST going into Home or Away Mode. This will allow you to set Nest to Away and you can either configure NST Manager to turn cameras on/off based on that (I prefer Home Away Assist in Nest to do this). I only use this Automation to set my Nest Away.

3. webCoRE - you can write your own Pistons to cover all your custom use cases.

What you donā€™t want to do is have things turned on in both NST Manager and Nest. Configure one way or another.

FYI: The only security feature (not part of Nest Secure) that is available in the Nest API is the ā€œwwn_security_stateā€. When Nest is Away and motion on a Nest camera is detected, the Nest can go into ā€œDeterā€ Mode" and then things like lights can be turned on/off based on this state being entered. You can read more about that functionality at Ways to Build  |  Google Home Developers

As far as arming/disarming your Nest Secure, unfortinately you will need to use your Tag or arm from the Nest app until some sort of official API is made available, if ever. :slight_smile:

I see. I doubt that Nest would allow an auto arm/disarm function. The ADT/Smartthings setup doesnā€™t do that and traditional alarm systems like Honeywell and Alarm.com donā€™t allow that either. I get that its very convenient but perhaps not the safest for a security system.

Hey Nezmo do you have the nest cam outdoor working well with smart things?

Through NST Manager, yes. Sort of. I donā€™t make my cams publicly viewable which is a requirement to be able to see the streams in SmartThings. But I can turn them on off, take snapshots, etc.

2 way audio and movement detection work through STs too?

I got the Nest Hello on Prime Day for cheap to replace my crappy ring pro. For the most part I am happy with it, but I miss the Smartthings Integration.

I tried IFTTT so that when the Nest Hello detects motion, it makes a web request to core and turns on some lights. It worked, but the motion zones are not configurable so every time a car drove by or some wind blew the trees the outdoor lights would turn on. Less than ideal.

So, I decided to put the Nest Hello cam into my Blue Iris server which was quite easy. Just copying/pasting the livestream URL into Blue Iris. I then set up motion zones in Blue Iris and set it to make a web request to my core pison when it detects motion in my preset zone, and BAM! It works! Exactly the same functionality as the Ring Pro Smartthings integration (minus button presses, but Iā€™m sure Nest will be improving their API stuff so that we get this in the future) Until then, this works!

I take it the API limitations of Nest Secure also limit it so we canā€™t read the open/close states of the Nest Detects as well, right?

I know this is an old post, but I just got the nest hello up and running a couple days ago. I leveraged this thread to help integrate it into NST Manager via public sharing. That part worked, however Iā€™m unable to see a live video stream (or any image for that matter) in Action Tilesā€¦just a blank tile. So unfortunately, this isnā€™t working as I would have hoped. Any suggestions?

Also, Iā€™m using an older iPad 4 as the primary interface with Safari in full screen mode to view an AT dashboard.

@ MarkusTec
Not specific to the Hello, however, I have several Nest cameras on Action Tiles. The best way I could get these to work in Action Tiles is as follows:

1. Make sure the camera is shared publicly
  2. Go to your public URL (ex: https://video.nest.com/live/xxxxxxxx)
  3. Open the ā€œPage Sourceā€
  4. Search for ā€œhttps://nexusapi-us1.dropcam.comā€ in the source
  5. Copy and paste the entire https address from above without the &width=560 (ex: https://nexusapi-us1.dropcam.com/get_image?uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  6. Add a media source to Action Tiles as follows:
    A: Give it a name
    B: This Media is a still image or GIF
    C: URL from above ((ex: https://nexusapi-us1.dropcam.com/get_image?uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    D: Refresh Rate: 2

This will refresh your Nest camera(s) every 2 seconds on Action Tiles. You can try 1 second but I find 2 seconds works well for me.

This was the best ā€œworkaroundā€ I have come up with at the moment as I want my Nest Cameras on my Action Tiles for at a glance viewing without having to click them to view the live feed.

2 Likes

Do you still have to subscribe to Nest aware? Are you able to save your stream using blue iris for review later on?

Awesome! Thank you so muchā€¦Iā€™ll give it a try.

I do get your point about having the convenience of glancing at your panel for quick visual status. That said and in the interim, Iā€™ve been using a link out to the Nest app as an embedded AT tile (://nest). It works well to pull up live video and audio feed and have 2-way conversations in ~4-6s in a larger screen format. A quick gesture back to the AT dashboard is fairly seamless and the user experience is fair to good, IMO.

As a side note, I got the Nest Hello bundled with the Googe Home Hub directly from Nest with a significant promotional discountā€¦and itā€™s an awesome pairing. It greatly reduces the need or want of having live camera video within the AT dashboard, since the user can leverage both voice or touch commands. So much so, that Iā€™ll likely get more home hubs to pepper around the house. Highly recommended! :wink:

Thanks again for the helpful tip.

Cheers!

@osxAJ
Quick updateā€¦it worked! Thank you.

The only drawback that Iā€™ve observed is the accelerated battery drain (when not connected to power) due to the persistent 2s polling. Otherwise, awesome workaround!

Also, do you have any security concerns using the public sharing / source code approach? Iā€™m less concerned with a exterior video doorbell, but personally I wonā€™t implement this on any interior cams.

Hey @MarkusTec, glad it worked out. I did not consider the battery drain, good point. I have my tablets wall mounted and connected to constant power, but I agree the refresh would put some strain on the battery for sure.

I am with you 100% on the public sharing as well, I do not have my inside nest camā€™s shared this way. I would think the chances of someone ā€œstumblingā€ upon the URL are slim, but I would not chance this with my indoor cameras either. I wish someone could find a way to do this with public share & password but I have yet to see it yet.

Side note, I got my Nest Hello installed today. My new favorite! Awesome device. I saw your note about the Google Hub, I thought about adding that to my Hello order when they offered the discount, but I really want everything centralized on AT via ST so I didnā€™t pull the trigger, glad to know it works well though!

@osxAJ , yeah the Nest Hello is also my new favourite :wink: Iā€™m only in my first week of using it. I like the home hub / nest hello pairing for itā€™s deep google integration and functionality e.g. familiar face announcements on all google smart devices and instant live stream video pop ups on the hub when someone rings the doorbell. This combined with all the other voice / display enabled automations the hub can do, etc. The value prop is very high when leveraged fully.

Also, just curious did you try @WB70 suggestion earlier in this thread to get nest live stream video to display in Action Tiles? It doesnā€™t display on my iPad using Safari (with Auto play on/off in tile settings). Your suggested method works fine, but not ideal for true live stream. I know this feature is still ā€œexperimentalā€ in AT so hoping the devs over there can produce a reliable and seamless fix at some point. Thereā€™re great at what they do!

Hi guys. What is your take on Nest IQ outdoor and does it detect faces and announce it on Google home.
Also with Nest manager, can I make smartthings react based on motion with the nest hello and outdoor.

The Nest IQ outdoor does detect faces but only with a Nest Aware subscription. As far as I understand, the IQ outdoor does not announce the ā€œfamiliar facesā€ feature on Google home, but this can be further verified on Nestā€™s product site. I currently do not own the IQ outdoor, but itā€™s on the radar as a possible future addition. Lastly, with the NST Manager / SmartThings integration, yes it does support motion on Nest cameras to include in automation activities.

1 Like