Nest Secure (Alarm System) and Nest Cam IQ outdoor and Nest Hello (Doorbell Camera) and Nest Temperature Sensor and Nest x Yale Lock

That’s what I explained the other day when we were having that conversation. The delay coming from Nest, and the polling time from NST Manager, motion events aren’t recorded because by the time NST Manager polls Nest, the event is gone. However the last image for motion events is captured because it’s a different piece of the API. You have to go with REST or IFTTT and webCoRE to capture and be able to act on a motion/sound event. And I still owe you instructions on the IFTTT piece.

I will post that tonight.

Are you Android or IOS?

2 Likes

Thanks! The ability to preform an action on a specific alert (i.e person detected in zone 1) is exactly what I need. I am on iOS. Would much appreciate IFTTT instructions (I wasn’t able to obtain any info on REST so IFTTT will be the way to go!).

Thanks

1 Like

The Nest Hello has a Micro-USB port on the back and it seems to function as a source of power. But it seems that you can’t install the mount without using a super thin usb connector.

The USB port on Nest devices is intnended for use by Nest Support. If you are having issues with a device, they may have you plug into the port. Can be used for quick charging as well and in some cases, initialltly setting g the devices up:

Did not know that Nest cameras can not be accessed on enterprise network/public hotspots. Got the indoor cam and tried live streaming from work place and it did not work. Switched to mobile data and it works smoothly. :pensive::pensive::pensive:

Types of Wi-Fi networks that aren’t recommended or won’t work with Nest products:

Is the Nest IQ really that much better?

All depends in your needs. It has improved resolution (4K) and facial recognition, and multiple speakers with better audio:

I have 0 complaints with any of my existing Nest Cam Inndor/Outdoor cameras, but I like the improvements and design change with the IQ. And the difference between the Nest Hello and the indoor/outdoor cams is a huge improvement in resolution. Noticeably different and with facial recognition even that much better.

Thanks for the detailed report :slight_smile:

So you’ve thought about pre-ordering the new Nest Sensor… $39 for a temperature Sensor… Well if you must…

Lets compare Nest Sensor vs SmartThings Multi-Sensor
Price:
Nest: $39
Multi-Sensor: $35.99
(Multi-Sensor Wins)

Sensors:
Nest: Temperature
Multi-Sensor: Temperature, Orientation, Magnetic lock for doors and windows, Vibration (Accelerometer)
(Multi-Sensor Wins)

Size:
Nest: 1.9" Diameter x 0.8" Tall
Multi-Sensor: 0.57" x 1.35" x 1.9"
(Multi-Sensor Wins)

Wireless Communication Type and Max Distance:
Nest: Bluetooth (50ft)
Multi-Sensor: ZigBee (100ft)
(Multi-Sensor Wins)

Battery Life:
Nest: Up to 2 years per website
Multi-Sensor: I’ve gotten about 1 year
(Nest Wins)

Requirements:
Nest: Must of Gen3 or E Nest Thermostat
Multi-Sensor: Works with both versions of the SmartThings Hub as well as any other ZigBee Hub
(Multi-Sensor Wins)

Limitations:
Nest: 6 Units per Thermostat and 18 per home
Multi-Sensor: A butt ton
(Multi-Sensor Wins)

Ascetics:
Nest: Cute Wall Mount
Multi-Sensor: Looks like an old school Alarm Sensor
(Nest Wins)

My vote is for the Multi-Sensor. Mostly because you have to by a $250 Nest to even use it. The hub can be found for under $100 Even if the you used the Nest sensor to control air in a room, you’re running the A/C for the whole house. At least with a Hub you can by vents to control air flow and cool/heat 1 room at a time.

2 Likes

The one thing I agree with that you stated was that Nest is using bluetooth for the sensors, which I do find quite humorous and a little ridiculous that they went this route versus the way everything else within Nest connects.

With that said, let me clarify and correct a few things for you based on what you stated:

1. If you already own a Nest Thermostat, then you aren’t shelling out $250.00 to purchase a $39 sensor. I personally own 2 Gen 3 thermostats, 2 Protects and 5 Cameras, plus the Hello.

Plus, the newer Thermostat e is only $170, quite a bit less than the gen 3 (biggest differently is that it doesn’t have Farsight)

1. You stated that you have to have a hub to be able to heat/cool rooms by being able to open / close vents while still running the same AC or Heating unit. I’m assuming this is what you were trying to say.

So that statement is not true. If you aren’t aware, Keen is a Works with Nest product and zoned heating/cooling can be accomplished between the two without the need for a SmartThings (or any other hub other than the Smart Bridge) hub. Which achieves the same thing you are doing in ST but with less outages. :slight_smile:

So now let’s discuss what you failed to mention in your post:

Outages for 2018:

SmartThings = 10+
Nest = 0
(Nest wins)

So while SmartThings is great in having NST Manager and Keen SmartApps installed to add convenience to your SmartThings environment and consolidating your devices and automations, when it comes to reliability and stability, your multi sensors only hold up while the entire SmartThings cloud is up which this year, lol, isn’t so much.

Yes I own my share of ST Multipurpose sensors for various things, but when it comes to having a backup plan for my heating/cooling and lighting, my entire Nest system works independently of ST when it goes down, so I don’t have to worry about being reliant on something that has a pretty bad track record as of late. As for my lights, I own 40+ Hue bulbs running through the bridge so that when ST is down once again, I have 100% control of all my lights. On top of that 10+ LIFX bulbs (wifi) with the same independence from the ST Hub.

The reason I posted this was to share with you that there are different scenarios and different setups that people want in their homes and one isn’t right over the other. We all have different needs and requirements to satisfy for our own home automation/control needs. So while you remain dependent on SmartThings, that’s perfectly fine, but for me, having multiple systems (sub systems) that are integrated with ST for convenience, they still have the ability to operate and be controlled completely independent of the ST hub which is a major major value add for me. :slight_smile:

So for me, I vote on both. Different scenarios and use cases requiring one sensor for various reasons, and the other, well the jury is still out on whether it will be able to connect to other devices than just the tstats (keen vents or other devices) or whether they have additional functionality that will be able to be used for automation outside of Nest (3rd party). If these remain limited, I would opt for the Keen sensors in which Nest, Vents, Sensors and Bridge would create their own independent system for appropriate zoned cooling/heating and schedules.

1 Like

I was unaware that Keen worked directly with Nest. I didnt specifically research that, but good to know. My intentions were to specifically compare one device to another. In retrospect, I should have left out the bit about Keen and included the $170 Nest E in my final statement.

Also, I’m irritated with Nest’s Marketing of the sensor as a way to control temp in one room while roasting or freezing out another. I do agree with you about the downtime. At least Nest takes that seriously. Now if my freaking apps would stop thinking my Nest is offline and my Heater turns off and on continuously wed be good.

1 Like

I believe Keen would require their own hub without SmartThings in order to work with nest.

1 Like

That’s correct Jimmy. The Smart Bridge is referenced a couple times in my post above :slight_smile:

I’m growing my Nest line of products and playing with a few things to go a slightly different route. My goal is to remove my Nest devices from ST and drop NST Manager. No fault of NST Manager as the capability that is added is great and convenient and @tonesto7 did an amazing job in bringing this to ST. However, having to uninstall, reinstall because of things that happen within the ST cloud (Oct 12 and Feb 8 latest) and weighing out the value add for what I need any of my Nest devices to do within ST, it’s not worth my time and effort to maintain and support it, so I am looking at another path that covers my same or similar requirements. I will still have all my cameras added as Media in ActionTiles, but I want no reliancy or syncronization on or between my ST and Nest environment so I am working on separating the two.

I see Nest getting even bigger quickly. They have just recently introduced Nest Secure, Hello, Nest x Yale, improved IQ cameras, and the latest, remote sensors.

So having their own security system, with intrusion sensors, thermostats, smoke detectors, cameras, doorbell and the lock from Yale, some of their bigger Works with Nest partnerships to allow for this enclosed system to become even bigger within it’s own product line and these partnerships. Oh and the fact that since being gobbled back up into the Google name, they have already integrated functionality with Google Home to work with the indoor IQ camera and now the Hello (announcement that someone is at the door in real time and if facially recognized, announces the persons name is at the door). I see Nest in a similar light as to where Abode is going on a different scale from automation/ control within the closed environment. Just where I see things going. :slight_smile:

As part of wanting to do things differently I started doing a little research between the two before I realized it. :slight_smile: This is one of my partial solutions to have these running independently together without any integration to SmartThings. Still in the midst of putting together all my requirements and use cases to make sure I can achieve everything I want to do before doing anything.

As for the new sensors, whether these will be able to be used, I will continue researching after they are released to see if they have any additional functionality/capability/communication outside of the Main thermostat directly. As for 6 per thermostat, I think that’s pretty reasonable. If you have more than 6 rooms in your home (not always but majority), there’s a pretty good chance it’s a two story and has multiple thermostats, so I’m not worried about that limitation. If the Nest sensors don’t achieve those results in working with Keen, I will more than likely opt to run the Keen sensors in each if the rooms and schedule through Keen versus Nest scheduling. Just some high level thoughts in my head as I continue to layout a new direction, specifically on what I keep integrated with ST and what I allow you to be automated and relied upon. I won’t ditch ST as I know and I can see huge improvements coming that will change the negative vibe we all feel right now. They will get better and I believe they will get a hold of stability and reliability so it’s a bit of guessing on my part as to where I see the future going and how to best layout the foundation of what goes where and who gets to play with who. :slight_smile:

You used the sale price. the regular price of an ST multi-sensor is $39.99

1 Like

Today only until 11 pm ET, Best Buy via eBay offers the Nest Detect Motion Sensor in White for $49. Coupon code “PREPSPRING” cuts that to $41.65. With free shipping.

I don’t know why so many have had issues with smartthings. Yes in the beginning, I too have had them, but I’m talking about two years ago. I stay in Africa with no fibre in my area and I still integrate Fibaro and other devices with no issues. In fact my Fibaro motion sensor is outside under a platform that informs me if someone is by the gate( till I get my nest hello).

Think about it. Because it can integrate or will integrate into almost anything, can you imagine the sheer size of reliability and pressure the staff is on. We can do what we want because of smart things.
Fibaro is a good brand. Nest is a great brand but once again they are a closed ecosystem. Only smartthings can give us the integration we want.

So stop beating down on a system that tries to play nice when others won’t even consider it.
Thanks to this community it has evolved to much more but the developers and those that built the system have allowed us to do this, don’t forget that. This is more for convenience. Nothing more. Spend thousands of dollars if you want military grade hardware but don’t for a second think Nest is more secure. Any thing ‘smart’ means convenience not security.
Just look at ‘Mr locksmith’ videos to see how easy it is to just break a Yale or shlage smart lock. actual reputable brands for consumers. Either covert or overt. Now look at their military grade products and you see the prices sky rocket.

For real security I believe in redundancy. A wired camera security system( not linked or linked to smartthings). With door/ garage sensors. Smart door locks but trelli doors behind. So you carry only one key or hide it around.
Home alarm systems linked to security companies. Motion sensors with Wi-Fi cams we( our us and our families only can see inside our homes as to what’s going on.

example: nest hello will state someone is outside but with webcore I will use motion sensor and nest to confirm this so there is no false positives.
I still get notifications from Google so I can disable nest notifications. If my garage opens and IP Cam (Arlo pro) triggers and no presence sensors are present. Sound an alarm.
I have had no issues as my modem has a failback system incase internet goes down. If camera dvr fails, I have Arlo, nest hello and Motion sensors for history reports.
Once again I repeat… Redundancy.

Has anyone gotten Nest Secure to work with Smartthings? I would love to have it automatically turn on cameras and arm the system when I leave the house. Nest won’t allow it, only gives you a notification.

1 Like