Need recommendations for a outdoor security cam

(Srikanth Madduri) #1

Hi,
I am a noob here. I am looking to buy an outdoor security cam that I can record to a local NAS and that works with SmartThings. Is there any out of box solution without paying a stupid monthly susbscription fee?

Thx!

(Robin) #2

I would suggest the use of any generic outdoor IP camera.

This can be linked to ST (for viewing only) using the Blue Iris software package which has a built in web server for WAN broadcasting. I think I paid a one off fee of £50 (UK) for the multi camera licence, but it’s free if only required for one camera.

There is a generic camera smartapp for ST which can display the Blue Iris camera streams. You can also use the same streams to display your cameras via SmartTiles.

There is also a ST smartapp called ‘Blue Iris Fusion’ which allows you to trigger ST events based on Blue Iris motion triggers and also change recording modes in Blue Iris based on ST events.

This method does not allow recording via ST (a very limited number of cameras can), but you can record much better using Blue Iris anyway.

I use this method and it works very well.

POE IP Cameras
POE Outdoor Camera and Security?
SmartCamHD Plus
Which camera with SmartThings

Just to clarify, Blue Iris Fusion uses Smartthings triggers to activate recording on Blue Iris Cameras:

You can also create virtual motion devices to have Blue Iris motion detection trigger Smartthings notifications (read the top of the thread for setup directions):

Once you have those virtual devices set up, you can use this notification app for a lot of control:

(Srikanth Madduri) #4

Sweet. I will check those out. Thank you for the responses.

(Robin) #5

I use an old smartapp called ‘HTTP Motion Endpoint’ which can toggle a virtual switch in ST triggered by BI motion.

The original app has been withdrawn by the author but I found a copy here: