Need help with ideas on how to control separate lights in different rooms all on the same switch

I don’t have time to go into full details right now, but my first thought is just that Rather than the Lutron connected bulb remote, I would select any “button controller” device that integrates well with smartthings. That way the button controller sends a message to the SmartThings hub to turn an individual pocket socket on or off and you end up with a lot more options as you can control each individual device separately, or combine them into zones.

There are a number of different options for these. One of the most popular is the Aeon minimote. It’s slightly larger than the Lutron device, but not by much. It has four buttons, and works very well as a handheld.

If you prefer a wall mount button controller, there are a lot of options. The popular remotetec has eight buttons, and each button can have tap, double tap, or long hold so you actually get 24 different options with that.

Here they are side-by-side. The remotetec is just about the same size as a single gang light switch. Both are battery-operated.

There are a number of other options as well. See the following list. Some are handheld, some are wall mount.

How exactly you would combine that with something that controls the non-plug-in light depends on the exact wiring. But it should certainly be doable.

If you also put a micro in for the non-plug-in light, you could even use a wall switch replacement like the Leviton VRCS4 and just have different buttons for different zones. (It’s mains-powered, but not a load controlling switch, so the current remains on to all the different light fixtures, you’re turning them on and off at the micro.)

But how you isolate the guestroom light depends on the exact wiring. Still, it should usually be possible to put the micro in at the ceiling fixture for just that individual light.

So for each fixture, whether it’s a plug-in or the non-plug-in, the button you press sends a message to the smartthings hub and the smartthings hub sends a message to the micro controlling that specific fixture. Or to a couple of fixtures together if that’s how you set up that particular button. :sunglasses::level_slider::bulb::level_slider::bulb:

1 Like