Need help picking devices to secure a garage

Continuing the discussion from [POST Deals/Sales/Coupons/Pricing HERE (discuss deals in the other thread)](

https://community.smartthings.com/t/post-deals-sales-coupons-pricing-here-discuss-deals-in-the-other-thread/34950/1662

Your question would be way off topic for the deals thread. Fortunately, it fits perfectly in projects, so I’ve started this thread for you here. I’m sure people will have lots of ideas to help you. :sunglasses:

Do you already have a SmartThings hub?

1 Like

Hi @MagicJack, the Iris Motion Detector (in the purple box) will automatically pair with the ST hub using the default setup, no additional code needed.

2 Likes

I agree, the Iris paired fast and for $11 each you can’t beat them… I think someone said the last day for the sale was 4/4…

1 Like

Thanks guys. I do indeed have the Smartthings V2 Hub and a quick search had said something about an issue with the V2. I did get those 11 dollar deals recently, so glad to hear they are the way to go. I’m only at this location temporarily and wasn’t going to install anything, but after this incident, I’m going to set this stuff whether the place is permanent or not! Edit: I see you mentioned motion detector. I have the door and window sensors. I do have a monowave (non branded) motion detector though.

Another ask. The garage is too far from the router and hub. I have about 4 router, 2 full sized wink hubs, 2 of those small wink hub things that just plug into a wall socket, multiple wink bulbs, a couple of D-Link cams, as well as a couple of Foscams, a Staples hub, 2 belkin switches, and multiple other d-link/belkin/GE Quirky things. What is my best option for extending the range? I know some of these devices act as repeaters?

Are you connecting the smart things hub and the wink hubs together? Or running them as separate networks?

A repeater can only repeat for devices on its own network. Z wave can only repeat for Zwave, Zigbee can only repeat for Zigbee, even if they’re all on the same account. So the first thing to figure out is what protocol your sensors in the garage will use. Then that’s the one you want to get a repeater for. (There is one Iris pocket socket that can repeat for both Zigbee and Z wave because it has two radios in it, but that’s really unusual.)

Anyway, here’s an overview:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Repeaters

If you haven’t bought the sensor yet my personal recommendation would be to get a z wave plus device because they have the longest range and you’re probably going to need it to get through the garage.

But if you already bought the sensor, the first question is what protocol does it use?

1 Like

Thank you for the response. At the moment, I do not have any other hubs connected, they were all for testing. I simply knew that some devices are able to extend the network, but didn’t know the best set up. Was just going to set another router up as a repeater. I tried to install the Iris sensor, alas, the door frame stuck out too far, and the sensors were too far apart from each other. I’ll try and find a solution tomorrow. Thinking I might leave the door unlocked in case they show back up, just so I can set a sensor to trigger the cams, since I’m pretty sure they had to have checked everything else out. Have to figure out how to have the sensor trigger the GE bulbs I have for illumination.

The best set up is two mains-powered devices every 40 feet of the same protocol and on the same network as the sensors you are trying to reach. (If all devices are zwave plus, you can make it every 50 to 60 feet).

Zwave allows for a maximum of 4 hops from the hub, though, so if that’s not enough, you’ll need to use zigbee. Shorter hops, but you’re allowed 15 of them.

The devices for repeaters are usually pocket sockets, plug-in sensors, light switches, in wall relays, or in some cases lightbulbs.

Battery operated devices do not repeat.

However, a lot of people don’t want to spend the money for two repeaters in each zone, so they just go with one. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just that with two the network tends to be more effucient because every device has at least two choices.

The hub itself counts as a repeater for both zwave and Zigbee.

Personally, I like to test range using pocket sockets because they’re so easy to move around. And you can often get them for 20 or $30. Then after I figure out where I need repeaters (which can vary depending on architectural issues like water pipes in the walls, cement, drywall, even some kinds of wallpaper) I can then decide if I want to use wire devices like wall switches or relays.

But it just depends on your specific layout. If you know you’re going to want a smart switch in a particular place, you might as well install it and let it be one of the repeaters for that protocol. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks, looks like I need to sit down and see which each device runs off of. Right now I am envisioning (for my immediate needs) a Smartthings hub, to Iris sensor, to trigger GE Quirky bulbs, as easy as possible. I set one cam inside the garage for now, and one facing the outer door.
Thanks for the quick replies. Kinda shocking when you realize that you thought you were in a remote area, and someone (multiple someones) have been casing you! No bueno.

Yeah you have my sympathy. it’s often bored teenagers who don’t even need the stuff, not that that makes it any better.

You probably already know this, but the sensor will talk to the hub and the lights will talk to the hub. The sensor will not talk directly to the lights.

Yeah, checking my home owners for any sort of non-bear-trap kind of clauses. Maybe it will just be a gray area? :wink:
Thanks, I’m still not sure which devices will talk to which, but I know for sure I have to figure out the scenes or whatever, that creates the chain of events. Thanks again everyone for the quick replies, and putting this in the right thread. I knew it didn’t belong where I put it, but I was slightly in a panic. Thanks for not being too hard on me!

1 Like