Multiple Amazon Alexa's but different addresses?

I can test this tomorrow. So long as i remember to bring my 2nd hub to work.

1 Like

There is another way, if you’re not afraid of doing a little Ask Alexa programming: use Ask Alexa.

I have 3 sites with a ST hub at each, and only 1 SmartThings account. I installed 3 copies of the Ask Alexa lambda code and 3 copies of the ASK interface for my single Amazon developer account - changing the Invocation name for each (e.g., “ChezBurke”, “Homestead”, “OrchidLand”). I then ran the Ask Alexa SmartThings app once for each ST location.

I can now control all three locations from ANY location, including my portable Tap that I take when I travel.

• “Alexa, tell ChezBurke to turn on the porch light”
  • “Alexa, tell OrchidLand to turn on the porch light”
  • “Alexa, tell Homestead to turn on the porch light”
  • “Alexa, ask ChezBurke for the Weather Report” (etc. - pretty cool, as I can get weather for each location from anywhere"

Have a look - Michael has done an amazing job with this integration, and it has some very cool optimizations as well

2 Likes

Add a second location with a second hub and some devices, and then you can prove your point. Until then, it’s hypothetical.

It does not work. I have 2 locations, both with devices and created a second amazon and a second ST account. When I go to the alexa app at location 2, using my second alexa account and link to my second ST account it all appears good
until discovery. When I run “discover devices”, it will only discover location 1 devices.

1 Like

I was having a problem when I setup my dads echo and Alexa, when I added myself to his smartthings account, so I could monitor and setup pistons, my echo would no longer control my devices, it would control his devices, hundreds of miles away. Here is what I am doing to control hub a at my house with Alexa a, and hub b at his house with Alexa b, but still able to control both from 1 ST account. (I think that is what people are trying to do)

Hub A is registered to email1@gmail.com, same with Alexa A with amazon account email1@gmail.com

Hub B is registered to email2@gmail.com, same with Alexa B with amazon account email2@gmail.com

Hub A and B both share ST account with email3@gmail.com. I log into ST with email3 and can utilize both hubs from same ST account but they maintain separate abilities through there own Alexa’s.

Well I sure appreciate your efforts. I read the original inquiry the same way you did.

With and Echo and Echo Dot at the house, I’m thinking of adding another to the office.

So
 it’d be rather handy if they’re all on the same account. That way it’d be easy to turn the A/C on an hour of so before leaving the office for home (yeah
 I’m in the subtropics).

As I understand your instructions, I’ll just create another Amazon account - just for the purpose of linking the devices - then link both accounts to the Alexa app.

Sounds easy enough, now that you’ve explained it.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi, I see its a while since this thread was active but hopefully this might add to this and help. I have a full ST setup at my house with two Alex devices and intergration with Hive, Nest , IFTTT etc . All works fine with Alexa to control ST device (apart from the hive one as the hive skill is awful - another story) So at this location (lets call it location 1) I have

1 - ST Account with multiple devices
1- Amazon account with prime
1 - Alexa app with ST skills installed

In my girlfirends house (lets call that location 2) I have installed a new V3 hub and an Amazon Echo, this as

1 - ST account using her email details (works fine on classic app)
1- Amazon Echo on my amazon account.

So first problem if I install Alexa app on her mobile and try to add ST skills because this uses my amazon account for reasons of using Amazon music the skills is already there and if I discover devices then it lists the devices from lcoation 1 and then finds device at lcoation 2 as I am atatched to that network. Fine but confusing, epsecially if devices have same names ( need to be careful on namign used to avoid this) Also I have seen the devices from lcoation 1 drop out if I run the discover in the Alexa app on a differnet network. Which add a second problem that when I return to location 1 I need to then run dicsover all over again 

So to Allow Alexa at girlfriend hosue to control ST devices I need Alexa on its own account as per JD Roberts post . “keeping it straight with seperate accounts” , which I agree with. However if I do this and set up Alexa on my girlfriends Amazon account then we cant use the amazon music unless we subscribe to music unlimted family (checked this today with Amazon) you cannot share prime music only if you also subscribe to Amazon music unlimited ( now cost for prime £79 per year , cost for Amazon music unlimited £95 per year 
 rip off!)

So it seems my choices are

Coice A: I can have ST and Alexa on seperate accounts and have device control from Alexa but no Amazon music on echo device at girlfirends

or

Chocie B: keep the Alexa echo in girlfriends hosue on my Amazon account to have music but not be able to control devices on ST via Alexa.

Nightmare 
 Any ideas ? Any choice 3 or 4 
 .anyone can think off.

I can see why Amazon do this as its a money making method
 but I do think the cost of the echo device should give you music for 1 year 

Be nice to seeif there is a clever way around this
 I am still trying to come up with any

Thanks

Anything new with this dilemma? I would like to control Smartthings connected devices at a second location with my Amazon Echo on a single account.

Nothing new, it still doesn’t work. The official integration is at the account level, not the location level, and Echo gets confused about which devices to present. :disappointed_relieved:

Officially, it’s the same statement they’ve had for almost 4 years:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/207808076-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-FAQ#Locations

Can I control multiple SmartThings Locations with Alexa?
No, not at this time. But we are working on an update that will allow multiple Amazon Alexa devices on separate Amazon accounts to control separate SmartThings Locations.

(Four. Years. :scream: )

Actually, there is a way to do this.
Two Smartthings locations and One Alexa account.

Install EchoSistant at both locations. You would then be able to control any of the devices at either location, from either location. You could receive feedback and other features at/from either location as well.

What happens with the official Alexa Routines feature?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G202200080

Those will not work for this.

I’ve never heard of Echosistant. Will check it out. Thanks.

1 Like

Anyone have any luck with this situation? Still looking to solve this it’s been a issue for years now.

There have been changes made in the last few months to allow for multiple locations, although to be honest I don’t know the exact details of how it works in practice. And there is now a new Alexa skill which has some glitches and if you update to it, you can’t go back to the previous version. so I’m not sure what to say right now.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/207808076-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-FAQ#Locations