Motion sensor zigbee endpoint

(Ben) #1

Hi all.

I’m trying to connect the motion sensor to my existing zigbee network (HA profile). I have a custom coordinator and have custom code to transmit the zigbee commands. I successfully retrieve the list of endpoints and the supported clusters for each endpoint of other zigbee devices, but I run into a problem with the motion sensor. I issue a command to retrieve the endpoints of the motion sensor and I receive 2 back - 1 and 2 (0x01, 0x02). I assume one of them is the sensor itself and the other is the battery monitor, but I can’t be sure. When I issue the command to get the supported clusters for each endpoint, I don’t get any response back.

I’m sending the Simple Descriptor request (cluster 0x0004, profile 0x0000). Like I said, the code I have works fine with the SafePlug device I have in my network but for some reason it fails when I send the command to the motion sensor.

Has anyone successfully queried the endpoints for the supported clusters? Should I try something else?

Thanks!

SmartThings Motion Sensor ZigBee Commands
(Karl Miller) #2

DO you mind me asking which radio you are using, and where did you get your HA profile stack for it?

Thanks

(Ben) #3

I’m using a Digi xbee radio from sparkfun (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11217). I have API mode 2 enabled, and you just need to put in the network encryption key to get it to work with the HA stack.

(Ben) #4

Well, I’ve made some headway. My code was adding an extra byte so that’s why it wasn’t working. I’m receiving a response from endpoint 2 for profile fc01, but that’s a manufacturer-specific profile. In addition, the response says there aren’t any input or output clusters available which is a HUGE bummer. I do get a signal from endpoint 2, profile fc01, cluster fc04, but I have no idea what that is.

I’m still trying to figure out why endpoint 1 isn’t responding. I’ll post more when I figure it out.

Why companies need to go and do a manufacturer specific profile when there’s existing profiles boggles my mind. It’s a motion sensor! It’s not like the product is some sort of intricate sensor, the only one of its kind.

(Ben) #5

FYI - here are the settings for the xbee radio to act as a coordinator with HA devices.

aggregation (AR): 255 (x 10 sec)
broadcast_hops (BH): 0
discover_timeout (NT): 60 (x 100 msec)
encrypt_enable (EE): 1
encrypt_options (EO): 0x2 (bitfield)
ext_pan_id (ID): 0x0000000000000000
initial_pan_id (II): 0xffff
join_time (NJ): 255 (sec)
link_key (KY):
max_hops (NH): 30
network_key (NK):
node_id (NI):
power_level (PL): 4
power_mode (PM): 1
scan_channels (SC): 0x1ffe (bitfield)
scan_duration (SD): 3 (exponent)
sleep_count (SN): 1
sleep_period (SP): 32 (x 10 msec)
stack_profile (ZS): 2

KY: 0x5A6967426565416C6C69616E63653039

With the help of someone at SmartThings (sorry, I don’t know your name, just twitter handle), I was able to get the motion sensor working with my own coordinator.

Endpoint 2 is a ST manufacturer specific endpoint.
Endpoint 1 is asleep if battery powered. I think that this is a bug since it’s asleep by default, even when pairing with a coordinator. I think that the endpoint should be awake when pairing for 20 seconds or so, to allow the coordinator to perform its scan for endpoints/clusters.

If Endpoint 1 isn’t asleep, you can do the simple descriptor request, but there’s a bug where the output cluster 0500 isn’t returned (which is the cluster that is used to detect motion). I’ve made a workaround in my code to get around this issue.

I hope this will help someone else.

(Florian Z) #6

Hey @bdowden, this sounds like a really cool project. Do you know if it’s possible to configure the series 2 xbee radio to act as a (sleepy) slave in a HA network?
What I am trying to do is basically the inverse of your problem. I want to create a sensor with the xbee module and have it join an existing HA network, including SmartThings.

(Ben) #7

@Florianz - I don’t see why not. I’ve never developed an end device, but putting the radio to sleep/waking up shouldn’t be too difficult. I think you apply a certain voltage to a specific pin on the radio. A quick google search should give you what you need.

(Florian Z) #8

Thanks @bdowden. I was wondering more about the software side of things. I am sure the radio can be put to sleep. How about the Xbee’s Zigbee stack: Does it give me access to the full Zigbee PRO stack?

(Ben) #9

You can set the zigbee stack through x-CTU. the ZS attribute, value 2, equates to ZB Pro

(Florian Z) #10

Cool, thanks!

(Andrew Urman) #11

We chose a manufacturer specific cluster because we were adding some non-spec check-ins. We kept endpoint 1 with IAS Zone for other controllers. It’s also not spec yet, but were slowly adding more and more to get ZigBee HA certified.

I remember talking to Digi and they had mentioned not being able to get the full HA firmware on the Xbee S2 modules, but only for their mounted module.