Monoprice door/window sensor and Smoke Alarm Device Type

I finally got around to integrating my connected First Alert Smoke detectors. I had a Schlage OPEN/CLOSE Z-wave sensor hooked up to the RM4 relay. I unpaired the sensor from Vera and paired it with SmartThings. I used this Monoprice Device driver for the Schlage device and it works fine. So the two devices must be very similar. I am using the Normally Open contacts from the RM4 relay to connect to the z-wave sensor.

1 Like

I am hoping to get mine actually installed soon. Not sure if I have enough space in the electrical box, so I bought a second one that I should be able to piggyback on the back of the original one (in the attic space) to give me enough room.

I had enough room in the electrical box to insert the relay, The z-wave device is attached to the ceiling besides the smoke detector.

Installed mine today. electrical contractor that did my house must have had a surplus on large 4"x4" boxes. I was able to fit the sensor and relay in the box behind the detector, since I looked for the detector at the end of the line where there were only 3 incoming wires. Had to be careful while hooking upā€¦ I donā€™t think the detectors have a circuit breaker (and if they do, itā€™s not marked as such) so I wired it up with liveā€¦ gotta live a little, right? :smiley:

1 Like

Living on the edge :). I actually took the time to find the breaker that my alarms were wired up to and then marked it in the switch box.

Well, I guess my memory isnā€™t what it used to be. I could have sworn that there wasnā€™t a marked breaker for the smoke detectorsā€¦ just went and actually checked. Sure enogh, There is one. Oh well, good to know for next time.

I think by code, everything electrical has to go through a breaker. When I changed out my smoke alarm and added the relay, I did it hot. But I had only one wire exposed at a time. I do sometimes work with live wires but I am very careful and make sure no one is around me to cause a distraction.

I updated the working device type with new v2 app style. https://github.com/trostc/SmartThings/blob/master/Monoprice-Door-Window-Sensor-as-Smoke-Detector-v2

2 Likes

I am using your device type. Works well. Good enhancement.

1 Like

This worked like a charm!

BRK-RM4 relay + Monoprice contact sensor.

I used the blue and brown contacts from the relay (normally open), which is what it seemed this device type is configured to use.

I was able to fit the relay plus all wiring inside a single junction box (switch size); I ran the contact wires and the Monoprice sensor outside of the box.

For whatever reason, I find the Monoprice contact sensors need to be cycled through the contacts a couple of times before they read correctly, including once the cover has been replaced. I had the same occur with another application I used one for.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to do this soonā€¦ Got my BRK relay. Just need to find the time. Any tips or pitfalls to share other than whatā€™s posted above?