Mobile presence on classic 2.18 broken (November 2019)

Just wanted to add my weight to the scale. I’m experiencing both the presence issue and the icon issue. I may eventually try the new ST app but from what I understand it still lacks features that Classic has. As an app/device handler developer I don’t want to lose any functionality whatsoever. Downgrade to 2.17 (and removing and reinstalling smartphone presence handler) solved my issues for the time being.

Also, wanted to mention that the source of this issue appears to be centered around smartphone presence handling. My wife who also uses ST Classic on an Android device, uses a dongle for presence detection and she has no problems at all with 2.18.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same thing on my note 10+ for about the past 5-6 days. I guess I’ll just uninstall smart things and reinstall from an older apk.

Also, it’s been super slow and glitchy on 2.18 as well. Pretty fubar’d update from what I’m seeing. And, if Samsung’s answer is “move to the new app” mine would be how about paying some developers to code a migration app so tens of thousands of users don’t have to manually disconnect all their devices (30 or so for me) and re-add them and reconfigure everything from scratch just because Sammy doesn’t want to pay their developers to COMPLETE THE NEW VERSION they made of the app that DIDN’T NEED TO BE DONE. Ever hear of just update and refresh the existing app Samsung? Jeez.

Sometimes Samsung behaves really inefficiently and stupidly. They didn’t need to do a new app all together, many apps get complete overhauls through an update and that’s what should have happened. Instead Samsung did a completely different app and didn’t bother to include a migration tool and just expects everyone to manually move all their stuff over and completely redo their configs. NO THANKS. If that remains Samsung’s stance I’ll just use 2.17 until it just stops working at which point I’ll just stop using Samsung smart things all together because for an app called “smart” things they are being incredibly STUPID about it.

You don’t have to disconnect anything. A lot of people have been running both apps for a long time now. I’m running both (mostly the new one) and didn’t have to disconnect any of my 100+ devices to do it.

1 Like

My phone and my wife’s phone just updated to 2.18.1 and presence seems to work again (we’re both away). Icons and the device list both seem to be blank, but it also no longer crashes on startup.

Version 2.18.1 is live in the Play Store now, and seems to have fixed the presence issue as well as the issues with constant crashing for both phones here. Icons are still missing though.

1 Like

I have the same problem, I used life360 and ifttt to detect presence instead, and it’s been 100%, fast and accurate.

Have had this issue since 22nd, spent the morning with removing/adding the presence sensor, clearing cache rebooting phone, all without success. Uninstalled and re-installed the app unaware that a new version was available (it hadn’t auto updated for me). Presence is now showing correctly in app version 2.18.1 and it haven’t crashed yet

Its astonishing that a major feature like this is broken when putting a new version of the app into production, especially since this doesn’t seem to be restricted to only few users. One would think that this would be part of basic sanity testing.

Notice that icons are still missing for all devices, represented only by grey dots in the devices tab. Scenes have icons still

I’m finding uploaded images and the standard icons are working fine, it is just icons defined by URL that are failing to load. Correction: Having looked again it is just Ikea buttons using the ‘st.unknown.zwave.remote-controller’ icon that don’t display icons. Those using URLs are fine.

Also the ‘Things’ list takes so long to load that I can’t be bothered to wait to see if it ever does. Flipping to the Scenes tab and back again populates it (though probably coincidentally).

Yes, a very long loading time for devices tab, especially on first start, this is an issue I have seen in old versions as well.

However all my devices lacks icon (im on an S10e Android 9 nov update). Doesn’t matter what kind of device it is. (door sensors, motion sensors, sonos speakers, outlets, bulbs of different brands etc). This is however a minor issue for me at the moment as long as crashes are gone and presence is working again

Actually, taking a closer look, it now seems to just be my Ikea buttons that don’t have an icon and they use ‘st.unknown.zwave.remote-controller’.

Yesterday I just went crazy and swapped to new app. Couple days ago yelled that someone from ST has to fix this. Then tested new st app and noticed that it really is not problem for me to use it. Of course ST still has to fix problems with classic and it would be nice if they would use status.smartthings.com webpage.
I was afraid of new application because there was a lot of discussion how bad it is and it fu**s everything up but seems like it is working quite nice. Have to report more after spending some time with it.

2 Likes

where are you guys, im in UK, just looked in play store but still version 2.18

I’m in the UK and the 2.18.1 update was waiting for me this morning. I don’t know how many different builds of it there are.

2.18.1 update has fixed presence for me as well.

I replied asking about the missing icons

So. Now that presence is working for me in 2.18.1 I got this notification when arriving home after traning (did not happen when arriving home after work), it won’t go away, it can’t be cleared and during my years as a Smartthings user I have never seen it before. Any ideas?

I upgraded from 2.17 to 2.18.1 and got that notification when I left today, but only stuck around for a few seconds. Will see what happens when I get home.

EDIT: Got home and update fine.

anyones icons working in the classic?

Mine are. A little slow to load, as I can see them loading (never saw that before this debacle), but otherwise they look right to me.

Got the notification tonight and wouldn’t go away. Rebooted and it went away but then a few min later it came back but then went away.