Mobile presence on classic 2.18 broken (November 2019)

I was a die hard Classic user until the latest new app release. I’ve been able to move everything over to the new app.

Smart Lighting is the same. SHM is now STHM (SmartThings Home Monitor). Routines have become either a scene or an automation. You can also now install your own SmartApps (you may need Classic for some of the old Marketplace stuff, just depends on your needs). I also don’t use WebCore, or any other heavy duty SmartApp, or even ActionTiles. I’ve tried to stay “out of the box” as much as I can, except for a handful of custom DTH’s - which all work in the new app.

My wife uses only the new app, and the same for me. So much so that I uninstalled Classic from everything except my tablet, just in case; but I haven’t had a need to use Classic in a week.

All my presence devices, phones and fobs, have been working flawlessly. I use them for STHM arming/disarming and a bunch of other automations.

So far so good!

1 Like

I filed a support ticket for this after it stopped working last week. Support just came back and said “yeah it’s the update but there’s no ETA on the fix.” They also said it’s the last version of the Classic app. Guess I’ll roll back to 2.17 and disable updates for the time being…

They told me same:

“ Thank you for writing back to us.

I’m sorry to read that you have an issue with a mobile presence that is not updating its status since the app update. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

We have identified the issue with the Classic app update which made some changes to the app, with the app crashing and mobile presence not updating. We recommend you start using the new SmartThings app or migrate the set up to the new app.

Note: Just to keep you informed, this is the final version of the SmartThings Classic app. As all users will soon switch to the New SmartThings app, the old app will not receive version updates.

For mobile presence purposes, we recommend to please log in to the New app and see if the mobile presence updates, if you are still experiencing any app crashes write back to us.

Thanks for your kind understanding and co-operation.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Raj
SmartThings Support“

Very disappointing. I’m on iOS but wanted to share here too since answer seems t apply to both given their response to you too. Looks like this is the end of classic.

I could be right behind you if this is all the case especially given that I’m on iOS and can’t roll back as far as I know

My problem too. Contacted them over a week ago and no response. I’m seriously not impressed with there support and attitude to customers ad this a serious issue as I’ve now got a smart home that doesn’t work. I’m thinking of getting rid and asking Samsung to refund me as it’s not fit for purpose. How do they get away with this. I might even email the CEO as this is not acceptable. Nearly a weeks and nothing seems to work for me.

Just brought my daughter home from college for Thanksgiving and she’s the only family member on iOS (long story…). Removed Classic and got her on the new app. Tested presence and all the automations associated with this. So far so good, and she actually likes it better than Classic.

I figured I might as well move over sooner than later. Yes, I still find short comings that others have mentioned, but they’re not show stoppers for me to move, and I’m optimistic these will get addressed.

2 Likes

I’ve also written to support for both issues (disappearing icons and mobile presence)
If samsung is really forcing us to migrate to new app, I will prefer migrating to Hubitat.
My Hubitat Hub is already installed at home waiting for migration. I am just too lazy to do migration.
But if a migration is forced, then Hubitat will be the better option for me.

I really like Samsung as a vendor but Smartthings is really becoming bullsh.t over time.

support response says 2.18.1 is on the way:

Shravya G (SmartThings)

Nov 27, 12:45 AM MST

Hey there,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

I would like to inform you that with the recent update we identified the different issues with the SmartThings Classic app and this is a known issue and our developer team is currently investigating this app update.

There might be a bug in the update and SmartThings Classic app hotfix (2.18.1) rollout is expected to begin this week.

I request you to keep an eye out for the update and let us know if you continue to see issues after the update.

Your patience is highly appreciated.

I know this is not right topic to ask but is there simple excel sheet or something which says what do we lose if we change from classic to new app?

That doesn’t exist, but there is a discussion about the difference. I completely switched to the new app over the last week and everything works just fine. There is still room for improvement on a few things, and I’m optimistic that they will eventually get addressed.

I saw your other long list of questions in another discussion, and bet someone else will eventually respond, including myself :wink:

2 Likes

yep decided to point that question there. Got a lot of things I would like to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I concur with most everyone on this post regarding the presence sensor not working, support has mimicked a lot of the same responses to myself as delineated above.

One of the main Show Stoppers for me is the fact that I use webcore. On the new app, SHM does not communicate effectively with SmartThings IDE, so State changes and armed stages are not carried over to the cloud, thus making webcore useless when it comes to other third-party automations from webcore (when using these states). I even deleted SHM from IDE manually, then tried the new app…NO CHANGE… I have rolled back to 2.17 as well of the classic app. VERY IMPORTANT features are still missing from the new app and I hope this gets resolved soon…or perhaps this new app is having problems because of the bug (or related to the bug) in classic 2.18. I am now tempted to switch to Home Assistant or other hub service. Sigh…

I did the same and migrated this past weekend to the new app. I added my Classic Routines to the newer “automations” or scenes. I was able to change several devices to the build in handlers and delete the Classic device handlers I once used.

From all that I have read the newest release of the new app has the same or better functionality. Most Classic device handlers and Smart Apps work in the new app.

I’m not using the new app either, so this is just a thought. Instead of manipulating your SHM state directly, can you do it with a mode? I do that now in Classic for other purposes. Not sure if that technique will work with the new app, but if it does, or there is an equivalent, then that would solve the webCore issue.

Let me get this straight. If SHM status changes to armed or disarmed you say that it can’t be reported to webcore?

Jani, not that I’m aware of (on the new app). Automations/routines ‘sometimes’ fires correctly, but manual changes from SHM do not. I tested this as I realized that some of my other automations through webcore were not triggering correctly. So I logged into IDE and played around and came to that realization…security manual changes thru SHM (again on the new app, NOT CLASSIC) did not change state in IDE…thus webcore. Anyone else note this as well?

I installed the new app to take a look around and while most of my things appeared it looks like most of the Aeon custom device types I have (motion sensors and smart dimmer/plug 6) are not working in the new app (they appear as offline). 2.17 is working for now, and I’ll probably try 2.18.1 once it’s out…

Glad I saw this. I’m a pretty heavy WebCORE user too.

I was concerned about that and some of the other community based device handlers and smart apps that I run.

What else seems to be missing/broken in the new app?

Just rolled back to 2.17 and all is well again.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet the DTH’s for the Aeon devices need tweaked for the new app. My Aeon G2 micro devices work with both stock and my custom DTH, including being able to now set device preferences.

My tablet just got updated to v2.18.1, but I’m also a beta tester for Classic. I suspect this wil roll out to everyone pretty quick.

1 Like