Matter - smart home connectivity standard (formerly Project CHIP)

The Family Hub of the Samsung fridge can be a ST hub as well and supports Matter since version 45.11.

"hubData": {
            "zwaveStaticDsk": "00000-00000-00000-00000-00000-00000-00000-00000",
            "zwaveS2": false,
            "hardwareType": "SAMSUNG_DA_REFRIGERATOR_HUB",
            "hardwareId": "0045",
            "zigbeeFirmware": "5.4.5",
            "zigbee3": true,
            "zigbeeOta": "0",
            "otaEnable": "false",
            "zigbeeUnsecureRejoin": false,
            "zigbeeAvailability": "Available",
            "zwaveAvailability": "Unsupported",
            "threadAvailability": "Unavailable",
            "lanAvailability": "Available",
            "matterAvailability": "Available",
            "localVirtualDeviceAvailability": "Available",
            "zigbeeChannel": "24",
            "zigbeePanId": "5B71",
            "zigbeeEui": "84B4DBFFFE144E15",
            "zigbeeNodeID": "0000",
            "zwaveNodeID": "00",
            "zwaveHomeID": "00000000",
            "zwaveSucID": "00",
            "zwaveVersion": "0000",
            "zwaveRegion": "0",
            "macAddress": "CC:6E:A4:E2:14:94",
            "localIP": "192.168.1.148",
            "zigbeeRadioFunctional": true,
            "zwaveRadioFunctional": false
        }

vs my Wi-Fi hub (Plume) which doesn’t support Matter.

"hubData": {
            "zwaveStaticDsk": "17190-53446-57653-19148-39064-09804-17750-45437",
            "zwaveS2": true,
            "hardwareType": "CELL_HUB",
            "hardwareId": "0024",
            "zigbeeFirmware": "5.4.7",
            "zigbee3": true,
            "zigbeeOta": "2",
            "otaEnable": "false",
            "zigbeeUnsecureRejoin": false,
            "zigbeeAvailability": "Available",
            "zwaveAvailability": "Available",
            "lanAvailability": "Available",
            "matterAvailability": "Unsupported",
            "localVirtualDeviceAvailability": "Available",
            "zigbeeChannel": "20",
            "zigbeePanId": "48CB",
            "zigbeeEui": "000B57FFFEF6A65E",
            "zigbeeNodeID": "0000",
            "zwaveNodeID": "01",
            "zwaveHomeID": "D72CE6D6",
            "zwaveSucID": "01",
            "zwaveVersion": "6.04",
            "zwaveRegion": "US",
            "macAddress": "F4:C2:48:2E:6E:3E",
            "localIP": "192.168.1.217",
            "zigbeeRadioFunctional": true,
            "zwaveRadioFunctional": true
        }

nice! Not surprising their docs aren’t up to date :sweat_smile: has it worked to onboard a Matter device?

Yes, I have on-boarded two different Wi-Fi Matter devices. They accurately reflect online/offline status, but there is some bug in either the firmware of the hub or the Edge drivers and I can’t control the devices (they error out on the device panel with the message “Device hasn’t updated its status yet”). Also, there is a bug with the CLI and I can’t do driver logging with the fridge hub to further diagnose what is happening.

With the dongle added, I have Zigbee support, but Thread has not been enabled yet.

1 Like

It really depends on the case. Think about white appliances - washer, dryer, fridge - should you have to buy or own an additional hub to be able to use its home automation capabilities? The market kind of says “no” and we see appliances either being hub-less, or contain the hub (Samsung fridge). But something where I’m going to have “many” devices (lights, drapes/screens, door sensors, locks) then the cost of the hub is spread around and it makes economic sense.

Samsung is adding hubs to fridges, TV’s and now their charging station - so the hub is either included, or the hub has an added value so you get more for your money - so two more ways to get hubs in the infrastructure with less noticeable economic impact to the consumer (i.e. you still paid for the hub).

However, even given the above, I was surprised that a company (LG ThinQ) had already gone with a phone based Matter controller and had it on the market. As @JDRoberts pointed out they already were set up that way pre-Matter, so they kept the model.

1 Like

So LG with their ThinQ line added Matter to their appliance firmware, then changed their controller app to be a Matter controller to use the Matter network protocols to control the appliance.

I’m wondering if Samsung some time in the future adds Matter to some appliance firmware (washers, dryers) BUT KEEPS their proprietary wifi/cloud based logic also in the firmware. Matter in the appliance firmware would enable the appliance to more easily work with Google/Apple/Amazon so Samsung would not need to maintain three cloud integrations. And, it would allow them to have both hub and hub-less options for their appliances (“why not both
”) AND they would not have to rework as much of their server side code to support the appliance.

What I don’t think they would do is make the Smartthings app a Matter controller. Samsung already has the cloud infrastructure in place (but at a cost I admit). It makes the appliance status available via the global internet - so “did I leave the stove on” can be answered. I presume ThinQ doesn’t work outside the home because you would have to get thru the consumers firewall and that has been tried and rejected as not feasible.

Also without any cloud capability the users would have to on board the device to each household member, so both you and your spouses phones would be a Matter controller with a network id and all of the devices would be replicated on each phone. There are so many compromises to be both local control AND hub-less that I don’t think many companies will go with that approach.

Or option C) Another standard!

1 Like

That used to be true, but Shelly has been working with SI labs and come up with a Wi-Fi chip, which uses much less energy. They have very effective Wi-Fi battery powered Sensors now. If you use the official current smartthings integration, it’s cloud to cloud, but there is also a Community created edge driver which lets them run locally.

https://www.shelly.cloud/en-us

So I think eventually there will indeed be matter-compatible Wi-Fi sensors with at least six months of battery life. :sunglasses:

In addition, there will definitely be matter bridges that can bring Zigbee Sensors into Matter and you won’t need a smartthings/aeotec hub for those unless smartthings itself says you have to have a hub on their side. Some examples in this category would be Hue, aqara, and Tuya .

A post was merged into an existing topic: WiFi-powered Sensors?

2 posts were split to a new topic: WiFi-powered Sensors?

Tuya has started delivering its certified Matter gateway (bridging some Zigbee and legacy WiFi devices to Matter) to its OEM clients with a 7 day delivery time. I don’t see it available for individual sale yet from any brand.

My guess is we’ll see versions from Moes, Zemismart, Lidl, Yagusmart, and maybe Frient first, which could mean it shows up in the UK/EU first before the US. We’ll just have to wait and see. :thinking:

Note the -X at the end of the model number. Very important, as that’s the Matter/Thread/Zigbee version. The same number without the -X is the older Zigbee-only version.

THP10-Z-X

manufacturer page

Matter certification

Note that this IS a “Matter bridge” (unlike the SmartThings/Aeotec hubs, which are one-way in for Matter, but not out). So you’ll be able to add this gateway to any app which is a Matter Controller, including Alexa, Google, and Apple Home, provided that matter controller has support for matter bridges. Smartthings has said they will have that support eventually, but it’s not here yet.

I’m guessing we’ll start seeing these available for individual purchase in the August/September 2023 timeframe, but ONLY if Amazon has their iOS support ready.

And again note that it still won’t work with SmartThings until ST can support incoming Matter bridges.

Still, this keeps the promise Tuya made at CES 2023, and is a good trajectory.

The following is a bit gushy, but was an English language interview at CES with a quick look at the product line. (The “available now” referred to prototypes available to OEM customers.)

@Automated_House @orangebucket

3 Likes
3 Likes

WiZ products also work with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Samsung SmartThings through Matter. WiZ was previously compatible with these platforms but, when connected with Matter, will work locally on your home Wi-Fi network rather than relying on a cloud connection. This should bring better responsiveness and reliability to the bulbs; they should also be controllable even if the internet is down.

In a smartthings environment, sometimes controllable. You won’t be able to control them from the smartthings app, because the app itself still requires the smartthings cloud. But pre-built local routines should work.

Just a personal note:

When first announced, I had expected to benefit from Matter personally in two Ways:

1. a wider selection of candidate devices for my Apple home installation

2. fewer questions to answer for friends about what will work with what?

So far, 1) is definitely happening. I’ve been able to add my SwitchBot curtainbots and a couple of other devices and everything works great.

2), however, definitely not. Things are more complicated than ever right now. :thinking:

4 Likes

The new Wiz Matter integration is NOT working for me.

I have tested 4 Wiz bulbs all with model numbers ending in “A” and none of them work with Matter. One bulb is only 2 months old, and 3 bulbs are 6 - 9 months old.

I am using the Wiz v2 app, version 1.5.1 (132).

In the Wiz app I get the error message: “You do not have any device compatible with Matter” when I try their integration.

I have sent an e-mail to Wiz support.

1 Like

You’re way ahead of me trying out various manufacturers Matter products. I finally took the time to boot up my Third Reality Nightlight (Thread) and set up a development environment. I was able to add it to Google Home (with a Nest Hub acting as Thread Boarder Router) and from there linked to Smartthings via multi-admin. I tried adding to Smartthings first, but I needed a key to the Nest Hub Thread network and I don’t know how to get that key yet. I’m playing around with the firmware that was already on the device, wanted to see how it acted before I flashed from the provided source code - just to see how it worked out-of-the-box versus with the latest git version. So I have to drop/delete it and try a few things before I flash the firmware.

On (2) above do you remember the XKCD comic about standards? xkcd: Standards

Personally I’m looking at Thread and Matter as a better platform for home automation - both purchased and what I build myself. My home brews have been ESP32 on Wifi with Smartthings Edge drivers but I think I want to end up with Thread/Matter if it really does segment my HA traffic separate from my normal WiFi. And provides more security.

I’m going pretty slow on Matter because I want to see if I can simplify the SDK - a quick check on the Third Reality repository on my local drive shows 342,805 files in 53,328 directories - which may have a large overcount caused by hard links and circular references to directories, so I’m not sure about the count yet. I’m looking to see about simplifying this for just the ESP32 platform (which Espressif has already done in their SDK but I think I can get it much, much smaller).

2 Likes
1 Like

I also have two that fit the model number requirements but are not showing as upgradeable In the Wiz app

1 Like

Look at this post at reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiz/comments/12rnw0v/matter_has_arrived/

There are very specific models that have been moved over so far
 Being in Canada the A19 bulbs and the down-lights i have are not models included yet
 but they have apparently 100’s of sku’s for the same bulb type across the world
 so it will take some time.

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks, that explains my problem. None of my Wiz models are included in this role out.

1 Like