Make Alexa wake up and say something?

Yeah same here…

Ask her, Alexa, is the Show Closet Door open?

2 Likes

That did it.

I also asked, “Alexa, what’s the temperature of the Shoe Closet Door” and she responded correctly.

Also noted that the actual contact is Bedroom Shoe Closet Door…However, I didn’t need to put Bedroom in the phrase.

I’m glad I chose this naming method. Did I say how HUGE this is?!?!

3 Likes

Wow, Alexa is kicking some butts today. This update is huge, but really seems rushed. It’s definitely rough. I wonder if they heard that Google was preparing a similar launch and they rushed it through to be the first…

1 Like

Working pretty darn good on my end!

Also, Alexa is now a bridge between WiFi devices supported by Alexa and SmartThings!!!

Yep, you can now use those cheap WiFi devices and use SmartThings to trigger them through Alexa.

Ishh just got real Google…

5 Likes

Don’t know if this is old or not but I just made a routine that if motion (could have been a switch before?) is detected, then play a song from Amazon Music!

If this has been here before then I didn’t know about it. I think I knew that you could set up an alarm but not invoke a song from a Switch in SmartThings.

It’s like freaking Christmas!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, we’ve been discussing that in the other thread about the sensors…

https://www.amazon.com/Ear-Shots-Vol-1-Sized-Effects/dp/B00BYOSQYI/

In all fairness, hats off to SmartThings team for updating their skill on the launch day! Great job guys… @vlad

4 Likes

Yes, this definitely needs to happen to be truly useful. It would be nice to have some conditionals. I only have a few things that I want to happen every time something is triggered.

1 Like

Especially things like the doors opening… I may only want those during certain modes…

But, it’s a good start. Running SmartThings, which is talking to my OpenHab server, along with the Native Alexa Routines… I’m pretty much unlimited on what I can do with my system.

I can play the routine from the alexa app and it speaks. It will not work when door opens or motion on sensor. What am I doing wrong?? Help…

I’m Missing out on all the fun!!

1 Like

I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong… you’re not the only one this happening to. I believe it’s the back end still needing updates in your account, possibly… (just a wild guess)

I was thinking not quite ready for prime time , but I still love it!

I am having the identical issue, so I feel a little better now I am not the only one. Sorry for our bad luck, maybe tomorrow morning it will be working.

2 Likes

Hoping so, I’m off tomorrow and Thursday! :slight_smile:

well, I know at least 5 people it is working for and you and I are 2 it is not so fingers crossed, lol.

Nothing here either. I can’t even get it to recognize my sensors.

Glad this is finally released by Amazon…Now we can put these clunky hacks to bed.

This is rolling out to people in waves. If you don’t have it yet, you will.

The interesting thing is if you already have a multi function device (like the GE motion sensor dimmers or switches) the Amazon app recognizes the fact that they have dual functionality. I was surprised to find my already included switches now could alert on motion without discovering new devices.

+1 for Amazon today!

3 Likes

Not everything is a hack… but with advancements on the Amazon side there comes a need for less and less hacks. Now we do not need a difficult to install app like Ask Alexa or Echosistant to find out the status of front door.

And, Like I said… this was a work in progress, and here it is! (no, I had nothing to do with this, it was in a discussion at my interview with Amazon)

2 Likes

I have to subtract your +1 :wink:
While it’s a very welcome addition it’s another extremely limited implementation by Amazon…

You can’t even select multiple devices to trigger the same voice event…
It’s like they don’t understand home automation at all. I don’t want to make 50 routines

3 Likes