Lutron Caséta Support for LED/CFL dimming

No prob. (I deleted my post on accident due to my fat fingers. Flagged it so hopefully a moderator can restore it.)

They do offer a plug in dimmer that apparently works well with dimmable LEDs

+1 on the Linears. I have a bunch of them and they work flawlessly with our LED bulbs. Amazon has them pretty cheap as well.

@englewood - does the smart sense work on the Linear dimmer plug-in? I assume you flick the switch on the lamp twice to get it to turn on?

I’m having a hard time seeing how the Linear PD300Z-2 is different from the GE/Jasco 45602, which is advertised to be for incandescent only. Where did you find that it apparently works well with dimmable LEDs? There’s no 40W min load for reliable dimming?

I’m assuming that it’s because the GE 45602 does not use a neutral wire (at least the previous models). This requires the dimmer to pass a small load through the bulb. Many LED bulbs will remain on or flicker due to this small load.

Not sure if anyone has recommendations for LED bulbs for the GE dimmers.
I have a GE dimmer, and I can only use it with incandescent bulbs. Maybe I’ll replace it with the linear model so I can switch them to LED bulbs if there is no other bulbs on the market that will work with GE.

Only downfall that I’m seeing at the moment to the linear wd500z1 is that they use the same wireless connectivity for a 3 way setup. Currently SmartThings does not support that wireless association yet. I’ve got this same issue with my Evolve dimmer. Until they fix that, I have a switch that does nothing.

If you get an Aeon MiniMote, you can do the association. Yes, it is a extra device, but I use it for other things, like changing modes from bed, so it was a great addition to our system.

Oh really? That’s excellent news! Any chance you can share the code for doing that with me? I actually have a zwave remote on the way (ordered it with my Almond+ router).

I bought a linear plug-in and it works fine with one cree 60watt equivalent in a table lamp.

I don’t have any experience with the GE plug in dimmers, though there are two people here that talk about them working with LEDs: http://www.amazon.com/lights-controllers-resistance-type-bulbs-LEDs-/forum/FxQQ52PZ7MKQ8L/Tx279RWCC85ISF0/1/ref=cm_cd_ql_tlc_al?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0013V6S0Q

No code needed. You use the remote to directly associate the two switches. The Linear 3-way switch instructions explain it. It is done independent of ST.

I tried to use the Caseta dimmer before I got into HA and I gladly dropped it in favor of Evolve (Linear) dimmer. I really disliked the Caseta dimmer because the buttons are too small and too close together. It was hard to hit the right button without looking at the switch. On the other hand, the small and cheap remotes are very handy.

I love their previous generation dimmers with remotes. They have smaller paddles for dimming, but the actual switch button is full size. Unfortunately they are not rated for LED, although I never actually tried.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/maestro-ir-remote-control-dimmer-in-white/971409

1 Like

Stupid question, but I’m going to ask it. If I don’t have one of the minimotes yet, can I use my GE 45601 z-wave remote to handle the association?

Does it have an associate button on it? Not familiar with it? if it has the button, I bet it will work. Did you check the GE manual?

Not that I’ve noticed, but I’ll check the manual. Thanks!

FWIW - I bought the GE 45602 outlet module (that seemed identical to the Linear PD300Z-2 that was suggested) and it’s working perfectly with an LED bulb. I started a conversation about that here: GE/Jasco 45602 Outlet Dimmer Module

I also picked up the Lutron Caseta Dimmer. Was attracted to the mini remote and the Wink promotion. Didn’t realize it would not be natively supported by SmartThings but with the promotion I got the Wink hub for 99 cents. Have yet to figure out how to integrate the Wink ecosystem in ST. Anyone have experience with this?

I just picked one of these up and installed it. It showed Wink support so I assumed it was either Zigbee or Z-Wave. After it would not pair I searched Google and it took me here to learn that it will not work with the Smartthings hub.

This might help. It’s in the community created wiki, so it should be easier to find the most current info than the forums.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Supported_Network_Protocols

Then you can always come back to the forums and ask any specific questions you have.

1 Like

That wiki is fantastic, thanks for linking!

After hearing very little post-purchase excitement from people who updated to the Samsung hub, I’m considering just skipping hub v2 and waiting for a potential v3 with homekit/caseta support. :smile:

The forums are fantastic as well, it’s just the two serve different purposes.

I often say wikis are for answers, forums are for questions and discussion. The wiki gives us a place that anyone can edit, so it should stay up-to-date, to present the most current information on a factual topic.

The forums continue to be a place where you can brainstorm a personal project, ask questions about anything you didn’t understand, offer opinions on topics where people may legitimately disagree, present project reports, and share other types of information that don’t quite fit into a reference archive.

And of course shared code continues to go into GitHub. All good. :sunglasses: