Lutron Caseta Control w/ Raspberry Pi

Try it out and let me know if it works. I gave some instructions in that earlier post. Once at least one person tries it and confirms it works for them I’ll do a better write up to explain the install process. I had no idea you could run Python on a phone. Can you install the dependencies you need too? That’s pretty cool. Good luck and let me know if it works or you run into any issues.

1 Like

I’m itching to test this out, I’ve packed up my Lutron Hub in readiness for a house move, I might have to dig it out :slight_smile:

If this works reliably, and I don’t doubt it will, I know I can then go for Lutron switches and Pico’s for the new house with is a big relief. THANK YOU

I’m also going to forcus on ensuring that I can auto start the Pi so any issues a simple reboot will bring back everything OK. I’ve not fully tested a Pi running over PoE (via a splitter) but I can’t see why that won’t work - a simple watchdog on the IP interface to monitor for ping response, power cycle if it stops should hopefully make this set and forget.

Great work, much appreciated.

1 Like

This sounds really promising! I tried something similar about 6 months ago with my Smart Bridge Pro. I had a few Python CGI scripts running on a Windows machine that would turn lights on/off, but I never took the time to get them to work with SmartThings. I’ll be following your progress closely!

1 Like

Everything seems to work if you are willing to give it a try. I have had it running on my raspberry pi non stop for about 2 weeks with zero issues. The devices show up in ST with correct state and are controllable from ST as well allowing for things like motion triggering lights etc. I see almost no appreciable delay either. It needs to be packaged up a bit better and I need to make some good instructions for others who may be interested in trying it out, but the functionality is there at least.

The only caveat is that I have the non pro Smart Bridge and therefor am unable to promise it will work with your setup but I think it should. If you decide to try it out let me know. Thanks a lot!

Nate

3 Likes

I’ll try to give it a shot when I get some time. I’ll let you know if I run into any hiccups.
Erik

Sounds great. Would love to get some feedback. Always hard to know if I created something that works for anyone or just myself. lol

2 Likes

I have the Pro version of the SmartBridge, does anyone know if that works without additional mods? keen to test this too.

Hi - this setup looks very interesting. I have a raspberry pi but having a hard time following the instructions mentioned in post above, given limited experience with the pi.
Any more guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hey @Patgarbizu. Can you be more specific with what issues you are having? I am happy to guide you through it as much as I can. Let me know where you are at.

Hey @Patgarbizu Just realized what post you replied to. Check out the following link. It has a much more detailed directions on how to get things setup. Hope that helps and if you still have questions feel free to ask.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/beta-lutron-caseta-integration-using-raspberry-pi/62748

1 Like

Will try this weekend but thanks for the quick reply.

1 Like

Dear njscwartz, tried the instructions and works very well. Thank you very much for the directions and for the great code!

3 Likes

I’ve just read that Lutron will be releasing formal ST support, press announcement from CES this week. Not sure when but early 2017 is quoted in various articles.

what I have achieved thus far is to SSH into my Lutron Smartbridge

@njschwartz How did you do this? Is it still possible? This would help me out a ton.

Thanks!

Edit: Appears to be a widespread problem related to the ssh key: SSH Authentication no longer working · Issue #14 · gurumitts/pylutron-caseta · GitHub
Might just have get the SmartBridge Pro to avoid these issues.

Hey @moustachesteve What are you trying to do exactly? I have indeed got things working. Take a look at LutronPro Caseta v1.0. It can connect to either a regular or pro smartbridge and integrate it with ST. The Picos only work with the pro bridge however.

Perfect, that’s everything I was looking for and more, thanks @njschwartz!

Just wanted to point out that I did have to make a tweak to the code in lutronpro.js - on lines 99 and 104 it’s doing fs.writeFileSync and threw this error:

Expected options to be either an object or a string, but got function instead

Looks like writeFileSync doesn’t accept a callback so I just took that third parameter out altogether and it ran fine (maybe you had it using the async version before?)

Thanks again for your work on this - I had been searching around but all I saw were people talking about SSH being broken and I hadn’t seen any fixes yet.

Ohh yea thanks for the heads up there. Someone else mentioned the same thing and I haven’t had a chance to look into it. Kinda weird it works for some and not others. Not sure, but I will look into it and fix it. Glad you found what you needed though! :slight_smile: