Lowe's Iris Sensors (New CentraLite models)

Centralite’s “new products” page is basically their first offering catalog for their corporate clients. It shows the new devices that they are prepared to make for that year.

When they then go into individual negotiations with any one client, they frequently make some minor modifications. And some of the devices never get produced at all if none of the White label clients sign up for them.

I stopped by my local Lowes and a clerk there said all the new stuff is coming out on the 19th. Unfortunately 1 day after the $75 coupon ( though I am sure that is by design). I am guessing that’s when the website will update as well.

Which $75 coupon is this? My local lowes has the new stuff but I wanted to use the $5 off $25 or $10 of $50 coupons that you can generate codes for online.

Just picked up 2 of the open/close sensors. They were marked $24.99 each and personally i’m OK with that since I get the convenience of walking in there and picking them up and that’s about how much I’d have spent on Amazon anyway.

They pair and work great once you go into the graph api and change the device type to a smartsense open/close sensor. They report battery and temp for me as well.

Now I just need to convince the wife to start letting me get into the HA part of ST now that we have the security mainly built out.

It is post 198 if you scroll up.

Just picked up one of the new Iris motion sensors and popped it up on the fireplace mantle in the basement. Looking at the events in ST graph, it appears to be… very talkative… Here’s what I see from when I poked my head out from my office door to trigger it:

2015-10-16 7:56:30.989 PM EDT	DEVICE		motion	inactive		Rec Room Motion motion has stopped
2015-10-16 7:56:29.986 PM EDT	DEVICE		motion	active		Rec Room Motion detected motion
2015-10-16 7:56:29.782 PM EDT	DEVICE		motion	inactive		Rec Room Motion motion has stopped
2015-10-16 7:56:27.942 PM EDT	DEVICE		motion	active		Rec Room Motion detected motion

So I see it went from motion active to stopped in < 2 seconds, and then picked up the next motion event 0.2 seconds afterwards, with a similar 1 second stop after that. Is this normal? I’m using the SmartSense Motion/Temp Sensor device type.

Anyone with these sensors in a refrigerator and/or freezer getting highly fluctuating temps? Mine are all over the place. I have one in a garage stand up freezer, and another in the kitchen fridge. This is what my “Recently” log looks like:

Fridge:

3:20am - 38º
3:40am - 36º
3:43am - 34º
4:08am - 36º
4:21am - 38º
4:29am - 36º
4:33am - 33º
4:53am - 35º
5:04am - 37º
5:19am - 35º
5:23am - 33º
5:39am - 35º
5:51am - 37º
6:06am - 39º
6:10am - 37º
6:27am - 35º

This goes on all day and night. I used a middle of the night example because the door hadn’t been opened in many hours previous. Yet it still does this.

Freezer:

2:46am: +2º
3:34am: 0º
4:22am: -2º
5:12am: -4º
5:46am: -2º
5:52am: 0º
5:58am: +2º
6:20am: 0º
6:30am: -2º
6:55am: 0º
7:02am: +2º
7:26am: 0º

And if I open the freezer for 5 seconds I get this:

12:47pm: +1º
12:50pm: Door Opened (first time since some time yesterday)
12:50pm: Door Closed (was open less than 5 seconds total)
1:12pm: +6º
1:21pm: +8º
1:26pm: +10º
1:30pm: +12º (there is no way the actual inside temp got up to +12º)
1:45pm: +10º
1:50pm: +9º
1:55pm: +7º
2:01pm: +5º
2:09pm: +3º
2:18pm: +1º
2:28pm: -1º
2:41pm: -3º
3:00pm: -5º (where is it going here?)

There is a digital readout on the outside of the freezer and I know the temp inside does not fluctuate like this.

Something is definitely wrong here. With both sensors. Any ideas?

Put one on the outside on top of the refrigerator and see if you get the same fluctuations.

1 Like

Also put a mechanical thermometer in the fridge. My Samsung fridge swings between 32 and 38 normally. Also remember fridge temps vary throughout the unit. Top vs bottom shelf, front vs back, ect.

3 Likes

@YEM, yes I see that on my sensors that are in freezers. Appliances with built-in thermostats won’t fluctuate like this on their displays because the normal consumer doesn’t need to see it, plus how would you know without leaving the doors open to watch the display or stand inside one if you have a walk in appliance.?

I use these to alert me if they hit a upper/lower limit, so I’m not concerned about the fluctuations. Also, remember these weren’t really designed for this use case, even though they do work.

2 Likes

Very good idea. Although these are stuck to the inside of the fridge/freezer. I will get another and test it inside and out.

1 Like

OK I agree some fluctuation is ok. But I set my alarms at Fridge 42º, Freezer +10º. Which I originally thought were generous. And both of these alarms have been hit multiple time in the past 2 days - WITHOUT the door being opened in the previous 3-4 hours. And that is why I noticed and became concerned with the fluctuation. And my concern is - are these sensors overly inaccurate? From the responses here it seems like it may be ok. But I’m going to do the test JD suggested and compare the fluctuations.

BTW, what do you have your alarms set at?

I would have totally agreed with this until I saw this yesterday…

https://www.irisbylowes.com/solutions/keep-food-frozen/common/common/

The link to the sensor goes to a general page. This looks like an advert for the newer devices and will probably be updated soon. But I’m inclined to think they are not coming out with a special sensor designed for the freezer, right?

Interesting, maybe they were designed for a wide range of temperatures.

I have my refrigerators set to 45 and freezers to 30, with a 60 minute separation between messages. This allows for temperature changes when we restock with warmer items, and if I get more than one alert I know something is up.

1 Like

Yea, doesn’t appear that the initial config took, or something.
They go inactive about 30 seconds after active…

Definitely looks perfectly normal to me.

The temperature sensors are not calibrated for continuous low levels (they are meant for indoor use) and some substantial fluctuations inside appliances aren’t unusual either.

1 Like

Device “SmartSense Motion/Temp Sensor” worked

1 Like

Is there any way to disable the green light blink when the motion sensor registers movement? It’s kind of distracting seeing the blinking green light out of the corner of my eye when I’m watching a movie…

Also, not sure if it’s Iris motion sensor related or SmartApp related… but I’ve tried SmartLights and Lighting Director to turn off the lights after 2 minutes… SmartLights didn’t appear to ever turn the lights off, and Lighting Director appeared to have turned them off after ~5 minutes.

There’s a bug in the “turn off after no movement” in smart lights right now. @bravenel contributed a custom code fix to the community you can use if you need it, many people are. :sunglasses:

Three coats of white nail polish.

2 Likes