Location notifications to alexa

Hi everyone,
I am new into the smartthings world and I would to ask you if its possible create AN automation that alerts me when i am out of home on my alexa speaker.

Is it possibile?

Thanks to all

Sure, there are lots of ways to do that.

The simplest is to install the free Amazon Alexa app on your phone. Then you can use the location of that phone in an Alexa routine and have any of your echo devices speak the notification.

That said, we should note that this forum is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ Home Automation platform. So all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. It is a very busy community, so it often comes up near the top on general home automation searches, but it is not a general forum.

Consequently, you may get several other answers for different ways to do this if you are using Samsung SmartThings.

If you aren’t using the SmartThings platform, in the future to avoid confusion you might want to ask your questions in the Alexa forums instead.

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/

If you are already using SmartThings and you want to use the location in the SmartThings app to do this, that’s also possible, but it’s more complicated. So let know if that’s what you were interested in. :thinking:

Exactly… i meant to send a notification from smartthings to alexa…

For example i created AN automation in smarthings thats send me a notification when i come back home, i Wanted also that when i come back alexa tells me HELLO but without using the alexa app… just smarthings…

This because if i understand that i can use it for example to tell me when battery of a sensor is under 50% directly from alexa without push notification

Thanks

1 Like

Ok, the basic idea is doable, but you still have to use an Alexa routine to get the Alexa device to speak.

You can use a virtual sensor in SmartThings to trigger the Alexa routine. Here’s the FAQ for that.

FAQ: Can I trigger an Echo Action without Speaking to It?

So you can use logic and devices on the SmartThings side to decide WHEN to have an Alexa device speak, but you still have to use a routine created in the Alexa app to complete the process and get the spoken announcement.

Thanks for tips

I am going to try to do some experiment

1 Like