Location mode vs member location

I am new to smartthings, and tried searching for the answer, but can’t find it.
When creating an automation, what does adding a location mode do? I understand member location…If you are away/ at the house that can trigger other actions. But, I don’t see where you can change what location mode you are in, so what is the point in using it?

I think the easiest way to understand location.mode is just through examples. :sunglasses: it’s a way of telling the SmartThings system to use different automations for the same devices depending on the mode that you are in.

Here’s one simple example from my house.

There is a motion sensor that will get triggered when someone walks into the bedroom.

During the day, triggering that motion sensor does nothing. That’s when the location.mode is just “home.” Just the normal Daytime mode.

Then 15 minutes before sunset, there is an automation that automatically changes the location.mode to “night.“

Once the mode is Night, If someone goes into the bedroom, then the overhead light will come on because the motion sensor is tripped. So far, so good. The light doesn’t come on during the day, it does come on at night.

Then when I’m ready to go to bed, there is another automation which changes the location.mode to “asleep.“ and now if the motion sensor is tripped, instead of the overhead light coming on, a soft night light on the wall comes on.

At seven in the morning, Another automation changes the location.mode back to “home.”

So there you are. The same device, The motion sensor on the way into the bedroom. Several different automations. And different outcomes, based on location.mode.

When the mode is “home,“ which is our normal daytime mode, tripping the motion sensor doesn’t do anything.

When the mode is “night,” tripping the motion sensor turns on the overhead light.

And when the mode is “asleep,” tripping the motion sensor does not turn on the overhead light. It turns on the nightlight instead.

There are lots of different examples in the forums if you’re interested in how other people use location mode, but that should give you the basic idea. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I should also say that if you are only using the default location.modes, which are “home,” “night,” and “away,” then it’s really just distinguishing between someone is home in the daytime, someone is home in the nighttime, and no one is home.

So it’s different from the person’s location because you’re distinguishing between daytime and nighttime.

Ok, so if I was to set it up I would have to create an automation that would trigger it to go to night mode, and then create another automation of what a device would do when it is in night mode?

1 Like

Also is there anywhere I nthe app the tells you what mode you’re in? I just set an automation to go to night mode at 9 pm. Then made another automation that when in night.mode set the thermostat to a certain temperature. Will that work? I just set it up and it’s 1030, and it hasn’t triggered yet. Also, if I create an automation to go into home mode at 7 am, and set up away mode to be activated when my phone is no longer detected in the area, what will happen if I return home at 10 am? Will it go back into home mode automatically? Or will it wait for the next time, 9pm, to change to another mode (night)?

Which version of the SmartThings app are you using? They have somewhat different rules engines.

FAQ: how to tell which version of the SmartThings mobile app that you have

I have the new app

1 Like

It will change it to night mode at 9 PM. So you have to have created the rule before 9 PM. Otherwise it won’t take effect until the next day.

Also, if I create an automation to go into home mode at 7 am, and set up away mode to be activated when my phone is no longer detected in the area, what will happen if I return home at 10 am? Will it go back into home mode automatically? Or will it wait for the next time, 9pm, to change to another mode (night)?

It would wait for the next time that you had a mode change set up.

Most people create rules so that when they arrive home, the mode changes to either “home“ or “night“ depending on the time of day when you arrive home.

1 Like

OK, I will have to leave it to other people to help you with the details of the new V3 app. It is not voiceover friendly, so I can’t use it by myself. :disappointed_relieved:

@jkp @Automated_House

You can view and change your current mode from the “manage home” option in the upper right menu

3 Likes