Linear WT-00Z1 to virtually control a Hue bulb

So whether I used a GE smart switch or the wt00z1, it was the same concept? Just wiring the fixture as always hot?

Is there any benefit to the wt00z1 over the GE smart switches? I feel like I was kind of getting pushed towards the wt00z1 for some reason.

The wiring is simpler with the WT00Z because it is not designed to carry a load. So you can just follow the instructions from the manual. With the GE, you have to figure out what to do instead of wiring the load into the switch.

Also, as an auxiliary switch, the WT00Z is often less expensive, although you may find that GEs on sale.

Finally, there is a known issue with GE’s where a relatively high percentage, maybe as much as 15% Will fail in the year after they come out of warranty. They aren’t technically defective, because the warranty has run out, but it can be annoying. This doesn’t have anything to do with SmartThings, you can find discussion of it on many forums, including this one.

So I don’t think it’s so much that you were being pushed towards one over the other but rather that the WT00Z, being designed as a non-load controlling switch, is just easier to install for a lot of people and is typically a couple of bucks cheaper.

Today, for example, at Amazon the GE switch is $37 and the WT00Z is $33. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The WT00Z will be simpler in your box. Since it has pigtail wires on it already you’ll just need wire nut all the black wires together, wire the white wires together, then ground and you’re wired up.

If I had known about the WT00Z when I did mine I would have bought those.

2 Likes

@xdreamwalker @JDRoberts

So I can’t just put the load from the fixture into the line of the ge switch and the line from the breaker also into the line of the ge switch?

That’s how I have it now and it all seems to be working fine. But maybe it’s a fire hazard?

Yeah I actually just had one fail within 90 days so back to lowes it went
 that’s kind of a crappy failure rate I must admit.

Yeah, that would work. Just be careful to not pull the wires out of the GE switch if you ever pull it back out of the wall.