Is there a way to do this ? I put the ST app on my son’s iPhone to report presence (arrival/departure), but now he’s figured out he can go into the app and manually override my limits on his Nest thermostat. I want to keep him from being able to access that device from the app. Thx.
Not within the ST app. You might consider ActionTiles for his phone.
We engineered this specifically as a feature in ActionTiles…
Any dashboard Panel of sensor/actuator Tiles can be securely shared in view-only on full-control mode, instantly revocable, to any other password protected ActionTiles Account, without any risk of the “Buddy” gaining any other access or permissions.
At a more granular level, most Tile types can be additionally protected with a PIN set by the Panel creator. Thus, a shared household Panel for lighting control and viewing sensor status, etc., can have their Lock Tiles, SHM, Garage Door, etc. be played around with by kids, guests, or intruders. Thermostat Tile currently does not offer the PIN option, but it will in the next update or so. (Meanwhile, #1 will protect your Thermostat).
could I get more info on how to do this?
We prefer to encourage prospective Customers to dive-in and explore; that way you get an accurate impression of what’s involved. Free Trial is 14-days and I can extend if you get stuck somewhere.
- Sign-up at https://app.ActionTiles.com
- Add (connect) to your SmartThings Location and authorize some or all of your Devices (just like Alexa; though there is no “select all” button).
- Create a Panel - there are Cue Cards on every page with a couple paragraphs of help. Add a few test Things like SHM Tile, a Lock Tile.
- Turn on PIN protection for one of the Tiles (e.g., SHM and/or Lock).
- Define the PIN for the Panel (in Panel Builder menu)
- Go to Panel Sharing to all the Panel to be used by another ActionTiles Account.
Visit https://support.ActionTiles.com if you get stuck anywhere. I’ll prompt you to the next step.