SmartThings Community

Lights & Motion Sensor in Bathroom?

(Joe DiBenedetto) #14

You could try a pressure sensor on the seat and you wouldn’t need a timer :smiley:

2 Likes

(Sandy) #15

Thanks JDRoberts I am going to try some of my uses and see how it goes.

However,I just had a question for everyone…

Does anyone know if power is being consumed if the lights/switches are in “On” position but have wifi bulbs/other electrical appliances that are in “Off” state.

The point being is that the switch is still on.

1 Like

It’s a very tiny amount of power, just enough to power the radio to hear the next on command. Much less than the bulb itself will actually use when it’s lit up.

0 Likes

Sorry I answered the wrong question. If you mean the dumb switch is on to provide power to a smart bulb which is off, then it’s the bulb that does continue to draw a tiny amount of power to keep its radio active. But a very small amount.

If you have a smart switch which is on enough to hear the next “on” command, it uses a very small amount of power to run its radio.

So whether the radio is in the switch or the bulb, a very small amount of power will be drawn so that the radio can hear the next on command. But it’s much less than you would use when the light is actually on.

0 Likes

(Sandy) #18

Okay.I have my bathroom setup with cree connect bulbs and Aeon Gen5 multisensor that triggers it.I am having a slight delay in the lights coming on.Is there a way around this?

0 Likes

There are a lot of different things it can improve the timing. You just have to try them and see.

The first thing is to make sure that the mesh is strong so the signal can get relayed as quickly as possible.

When you paired your devices, both the bulbs and the motion sensor, were they sitting physically in the same places where they are now? Or did you pair them close to the hub and then move them?

It may be that they don’t know who the real neighbors are, in which case you need to “heal” the network and that can clear up a lot of latency. But you may not see the results of the improvement for several hours.

0 Likes

(Realy Living Dream) #20

I think that is more a sign of how unreliable Wink is when the sensors only report from 3-30 minutes (days) . I know according to my Wink Spotter at one point the sun never rose for almost a month. So my outside lights never shut off. I thought the world had ended and I missed it .

I have bathroom lights set for 5 minutes and even then the wife has issues of the lights turning off on her when she’s in the shower and the PIR can’t see her moving ( she’s only 5’4" , at 6’4" it has no problem seeing me )
I have the fans set for 15 minutes to clear out any residual steam ( or other gasses ) left in the bathroom after somebody leaves.

0 Likes

(Sandy) #21

The bulbs were paired when they were in the original fixtures and sensor was paired next to the hub and then moved.

0 Likes

(Benji) #22

I have my EcoLink PIR sensors set permanently into test mode so they are always instantly reporting, even when I had Wink and the lights haven’t been an issue, the only problem with ST at the moment is the bug with the delay even when motion persists.

I feel like the placement of PIR sensors is almost a sport/competition, visually trying to work out the best place that will capture all desired motion but be obscured from undesired motion. I try and visualise the best place for them, of course this can be made really easy with actual cameras and drawing ‘zones’ on the image and I’d go this route but the GF isn’t keen on the idea of there being cameras in the house, let alone the bathroom!

0 Likes

(Realy Living Dream) #23

Well mine is in the ceiling with the fan/light it sees everything except the little 5’4" woman behind the 7’ curtain LOL

1 Like

(Sandy) #24

I have a ST sensor in the living room linked to a cree connected and that one comes on almost instantly.The difference is that that bathroom is virtual switch since i had 2 lights in a single fixture and i was told by ST this provision is not available in the current ST app.

0 Likes

(Bruce) #25

Yes it is. Whoever told you that was wrong. You can do it with Smart Lighting.

My Crees also come on instantly, much faster than z-wave devices in the same room being turned on at the same instant.

0 Likes

Then definitely do a Z wave repair. The sensor maybe trying to send a message through my neighbor doesn’t actually have access to, so it has to wait for that to fail and then try again.

Doing a Z wave repair never hurts anything, it just gets the address tables up to date. Doing a Z wave repair never hurts anything, it just gets the address tables up to date. Some people run one once a month just as maintenance.

1 Like

(Sandy) #27

Z-Wave network repair finished
Network repair for Bath [02]: Failed to update route
Network repair for Bath [02]: Failed to update mesh info

What does this mean?

0 Likes

(Sandy) #28

Sorry,Bath[02] is the name of my Multi Sensor that is in the bathroom

0 Likes

It probably means there’s a range problem in getting to the device. That could explain a lot. See if the following topic helps any.

0 Likes

(Bobby) #30

I’ve recently put a motion-disarm in my kids bathroom. Thanks to the genius that had that idea, my kids have stopped yelling at me now!

1 Like

(Sandy) #31

What version are you using to group lights?. I have 2.0.3 build 201311 and I was informed by a support chat representative that its not available in the current version.The work around is create a on/off virtual switch.

I did this and now the virtual switch has stopped responding.Any ideas?

0 Likes

(Darren) #32

An example:

Which lights: bath 1, bath 2, whatever (can select multiples)
What do you want to do: turn on/turn on and set level
How do you want to trigger: motion
Which motion sensor: bath

Etc.

0 Likes

(Brad B.) #33

What’s motion-disarm?

0 Likes