Light Bulbs for Zwave switches?

Ok, building a new home. I plan to put in the GE Z-Wave light switches, … so what kind of bulbs should I get? I want them to be dimm-able… I am confused about which bulbs can do what??? The light fixtures are enclosed ceiling fixtures that call for 3 - 60 watt bulbs each. Thanks

Wouldn’t you want zwave dimmer switches with dimmable LED bulbs instead? Is that what you mean?

(Never Trust @bamarayne) #3

Get dimmable LED bulbs. As cheaply as you can. Amazon has some good deals, but I find Walmart and Costco here locally have better deals because the power company has rebates applied to the shelf prices.

Unless you need variable colors, or you can’t put in HA switches, don’t buy fancy bulbs. IMO, you’re better off putting the HA tech in the switch and not the bulb.

Unless you want color features ( changing color or color temperature), just go with nonnetworked dimmable LEDs. Any decent brand should be fine. :sunglasses:

(John S) #5

Dumb dimmable LEDs - lots of choices, should be under $5 a bulb for standard bulbs in the 60-75 watt equiv range.

Thanks… Dumb dim led’s it is…off to Home Depot tomorrow for them!

(John S) #7

[quote=“jgirvine, post:6, topic:32084”]
off to Home Depot tomorrow
[/quote]Amazon usually has slightly lower prices, if you’ve got 2 days

(Cody Truscott) #8

I’m going to disagree on this point — I think we are another two years from good LED bulbs. The best of the mass-market bunch currently are the Sunset Effects from Osram (2000k–3000k dim-to-warm), but the CRI is still hanging at 80 with low R9 values.

In areas where a higher color temp is desired, there are some mass market bulbs meeting California’s color rendering requirements of 90+, but they don’t yet dim to warm at a reasonable price point.

Slopping together lighting will just make you and your guests look sickly. You can’t just mix and match bulbs these days like you could with incandescents. Get 10% extra as backup and if you are wise, rotate them in.

That said, if you are building from scratch, why waste your sanity on zwave. Go with structured withering.

Also — you can’t use LEDs in enclosed situations. Your bulbs will last a yearish before heat death.

Well, I have to go with the wiring structure that is already in place, and the light fixtures are bought… so given enclosed lights, that I want to be able to dim at night, what would you buy?

There are some LED models which are designed for enclosed fixtures. It should say on the box.

Consumer Reports did a recent update on their LED listings. The general guide is free, you’d need to pay $7 for a month’s access to get the exact models:

If you get a knowledgeable lighting person at the Home Depot, they should also probably know.

These models do cost more than the cheapest LEDs, but will be worth it in the longer life.

They almost all use some kind of “tunneling” design for heat dissipation so they may look a little strange in the box, but you won’t notice any difference once they’re in the fixture.

(Never Trust @bamarayne) #11

Perhaps. Which is one of the reasons why I go with inexpensive LEDs or in some cases florescent or incandescent.

Why spend a bunch of money on LEDs at this point if we are a few years away from good ones? Find a happy medium between cost of the product, cost to keep them running and perhaps color if that sort of thing effects the setting in which you will you use.

Green Creative is a lighting brand which has done a lot of work on heat dissipation and is generally highly-rated, although I don’t know how they did in the Consumer Reports tests.

Anyway, they have a new “titanium” line out this year specifically for fully enclosed fixtures.

Again, not the least expensive LED, but should offer good value over the life of the bulb.

There are other good choices as well, it’s not that this is an automatic pick. :sunglasses:

http://gc-lighting.com/wp-content/uploads/GREEN-CREATIVE-A19-12W-Dimmer-Compatibility.pdf

I have one of the $15 bulbs (can’t recall the brand at the moment) in my front door foyer, one in the upstairs hallway and one in my 10 year old’s room.

I set a routine for the foyer light and hall light to come on when I arrived home at night so we would not have to come into a dark house. I’m not getting any benefit from these because someone is always turning the light switch off for whatever reason. The upstairs hall light is controlled by a switch at the bottom and top of the stairs. So you can turn the hall light on to light up the stairs and turn it off at the top.

My son falls asleep with his light on often so I set a routine to shut it off at a certain time. It has worked great. So, I guess some Z Wave switches would be better for the foyer and hallway.

(Tyler) #14

The OP states that his lights are fully enclosed. Most of the replies say to buy the cheapest LED bulbs he can find, which won’t be rated for enclosed fixtures.

Do you all use these in enclosed fixtures anyways and just replace them frequently as they burn out? This sounds expensive!

There are so very few bulbs rated for enclosed fixtures and my house is full of these… so I’m stuck using CFL bulbs.

Good point. :sunglasses:

The OP (“she,” btw) says they are enclosed ceiling fixtures. Many ceiling fixtures aren’t fully enclosed, there’s a gap. But if they are fully enclosed definitely heat is an issue with some cheap bulbs.

If you notice my post number 10 above, I did mention the enclosure issue, and gave a link to listings which include bulbs which are designed for enclosed fixtures.

Cree make a number of dumb models which are suitable for enclosed fixtures, and are a good bulb. Available at Home Depot, often on sale.

Philips also has some.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Dimmable-Suitable-Enclosed-Fixtures/dp/B016WNLHNM/

As does FEIT.

So there are quite a few choices these days, and the issue was mentioned in the thread.

Speaking just for myself, I only buy bulbs which are Spec’d for where I want to put them. :sunglasses: