LED Stripe Outdoor (2022, Austria)

Hey,
I would need a LED Stripe working with SmartThings (also cloud implementation possible). The Stripe will be used outdoor as an “entrance light”. It should have a bright white light and optional also RGB but at least the white light.

Sounds like a fun project! If you can answer a few questions first we can give you better recommendations. :sunglasses:

1. What country are you in? The device selection does vary. :thinking:

2. are you only looking for an all in one smart plug-in led strip or would you consider a smart controller with dumb light strips? The second option lets you choose any dumb strips you like, so it’s usually better as far as brightness goes, although some of the more expensive smart strips are pretty bright.

Hue now makes outdoor light strips with excellent brightness (1650 lm for the 5m version) and weatherproofing, easy plug in, very good ST integration, but also quite expensive. So that’s the easy but expensive option.

2m length. Note that this is 800 lm, similar to a 75w bulb.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Lightstrip-Compatible-555904/dp/B08CK9LQP5/
5m length. This one is 1650 lm, so twice the length, twice the brightness.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Lightstrip-Compatible-Separately/dp/B08CKHXRGH/

For a much less expensive option but with a more complex setup, Gledopto is a popular brand of controller and some community members have already made an Edge Driver for it. Or it also works with a Hue bridge, so you can use that integration. You’ll typically have to purchase three pieces separately: the smart controller, a power adapter, and the dumb strips. Even so total cost may be 2/3 or even 1/2 that of Hue. (Gledopto does sell their own brand of dumb outdoor light strips for Europe, but I haven’t seen them in the US. You still use their smart controller for control.)

(Usually the smart controller itself is not weatherproof, so you have to put it inside some kind of protective box. Again, it just makes the project a little more complicated than just buying the Hue strip. But lots of people do it, so it’s just a matter of choice.)

Here’s the link to an edge driver for a number of models of smart controllers, including some Gledopto models. (You only need the driver if you’re connecting the device via the smartthings hub instead of the hue bridge):

(NEW RELEASE) Beta Edge Driver Zigbee Light Multifunction Mc

1. what are the temperatures like? That’s not usually a big issue with LED strips as long as they’re made for outdoors, but if your region has extreme temperatures you’ll want to check the specs.

2. are you using a SmartThings/Aeotec hub? Or no hub? With no ST hub you’ll need to use a hue bridge or WiFi models in order to get SmartThings integration, but you’ll still have several choices. With a ST hub, you can also consider zwave or Zigbee models.

———

Anyway, once we have those answers we can make a better recommendation.

2 Likes

I went with the cheap option for an outdoor run of about 80ft along a fence. The Gledopto controller works fine. I have the controller and a power supply in a plastic box to protect them from the elements. I haven’t converted over to Edge yet but it works fine with the old driver. My only suggestion would be to get a single strip longer than you need and cut it to fit your project. If you start connecting multiple strips you have to be concerned about the strips matching and voltages.

2 Likes

1. What country are you in? The device selection does vary. :thinking:
Austria in Europe

2. are you only looking for an all in one smart plug-in led strip or would you consider a smart con
troller with dumb light strips? The second option lets you choose any dumb strips you like, so it’s usually better as far as brightness goes, although some of the more expensive smart strips are pretty bright.
It is irrelevant for me if it is a controller or plug-in. I never worked with a controller, but if there is a description or YouTube tutorial I can work this out.

3. what are the temperatures like? That’s not usually a big issue with LED strips as long as they’re made for outdoors, but if your region has extreme temperatures you’ll want to check the specs.
forecast
Temperatures from last year:

4. are you using a SmartThings/Aeotec hub? Or no hub? With no ST hub you’ll need to use a hue bridge or WiFi models in order to get SmartThings integration, but you’ll still have several choices. With a ST hub, you can also consider zwave or Zigbee models.
I have the Aeotec (Smartthings) Hub. I do not have a Hue bridge.

Since you are in Austria, the device choices are a little different than in the US.

1. The quick, easy, bright, and expensive choice is still the hue outdoor strips with a hue bridge. This gives you very good integration with smart things, very easy set up, and brightness of 1650 lm with the longer strip. but expensive.

2. Because you are in Europe, you also have the option of the INNR outdoor LED strip. ( this is not yet available in the US.) It’s clearly intended to be a cheaper copy of the hue strip. It looks similar but the features aren’t quite as good. In particular, for your case, it’s only about 2/3 as bright. So I don’t know if it will work for you or not. It’s also a much stiffer strip, which makes it harder to bend around a doorway, if that’s what you had in mind. And it’s not quite as waterproof at the point where it connects to the power cord. also, the colors are not quite as rich. But it is definitely a lot cheaper.

Here’s a good review of the INNR Vs the Hue well you can definitely see the difference in brightness. The difference in color is not as obvious because the guy who made the video has both strips coiled up, and that tends to hide a lot of the color. (The video is in German. Those who need English can get English subtitles.)

Innr says on their website that you can use the INNR products directly with a smartthings hub without needing a hue bridge. I haven’t seen any reports from people doing it that way, though, so I don’t know if it will require custom code for color management. I think it would be doable, there are none of the issues that you get with, say, Tuya, but I did want to mention the possible issue.

1. Gledopto is a popular choice for EU community members to use as a smart controller with dumb strips. And again, since you are in the EU, you may be able to buy Gledopto brand dumb strips if you like, although there are a lot of brands that will work. Again, you probably have to make three separate purchases: the smart controller, the dumb strips, and a power cord. Plus potentially a project box to protect the controller piece from the weather.

You should be able to find lots of discussion of gledopto products in the forum. My understanding is that the original versions were not Zigbee repeaters and the “pro“ versions are, but both are Zigbee 3.0 and both should work with smartthings. You will need custom code, but community members have already created it, and it’s available in the forum. See the link I posted above for an edge driver that works with both model lines.

Vesternet is a reliable retailer and their tech-support is very good if you have questions.

There are some other brands in both categories if you do more research, those are just the first ones I thought of that I know quite a few people are using successfully. :sunglasses: