Leak Gopher Valve only works as a valve requiring a leak?

I just purchased the leak gopher. The problem is now that it is “integrated” by ST it only shows up as a “valve” that is controlled by a “sensor”. I guess everyone assumes that you are going to use it for leak detection. I want to use it to control my pool cleaner. I went thru all the trouble of installing it on my pool system and now I figure out that there is no smartapp to control it so I can put it on a schedule. I want to set it on a schedule ON/OFF for a couple hours a day. Can anyone tell me a way to make this device just show up as a “switch”? The only suggestions I have gotten are “webcore” but that seems like a complicated solution to something simple? Is there a way to maybe just use a generic device handler then exclude/include again and just have this Leak Gopher just show up as a switch? The only way to control this valve can’t just be with a leak detector?

Where’s the code for the DTH? I’d like to see if it has “switch” capabilities.

Or, did ST discover this with the stock DTH?

EDIT: Found it. It’s ST’s standard DTH for a zwave water valve.

@eurotrash,

Try my custom DTH used with a MIMOLite and separate motorized valve. The configure tile and power tile won’t do anything for you, but at least you’ll have a DTH you can mess with and tweak to your liking.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-mimolite-water-valve-controller.src/my-mimolite-water-valve-controller.groovy

1 Like

So if I exclude the Valve then put this in as a device handler, when it includes again will it not automatically go with ST’s stock or native? how does that work? I’m a computer engineer but I don’t code. I can follow the code and I understand where the “Capabilities” parameters are set, but is it like Kornshell where I can just comment out what I don’t want set or is there delimiter, carriage return, etc that I need to know about ?
Do you think I could find an even more basic than this? just want it to be a switch that I can set by schedule and days of week, like every other switch…

You don’t have to re-add the device. You can just assign it to a different device type handler in your account, use that one for a while, and then swap it back whenever you want.

The following FAQ covers that process (this is a clickable link) and I think it will help explain the concepts as well.

2 Likes

Follow @JDRoberts’s advice and try this first. This DTH makes the valve act just like a switch, so what ever you use for your other switches can be used for this DTH.

John,
I followed JDRoberts advice and tried your DHT and assigned the device to it. Seemed to work and your tiles showed up and I could configure it as a switch. However then I realized it was backwards. When toggled to ON/OPEN it was the off/closed position for the “leak gopher” valve and vice versa. So I guess I could use the “Turn off using a schedule” to turn it on and vice versa but that is just confusing. Any suggestions?
While in the “My Device” IDE and assigning it to your DHT, I noticed that in the drop down I could also just switch the device handler from the stock “Z-wave Valve” to “Z-wave switch”? would that not work? Or I could just create a DHT “from form” and give it “switch” & " refresh" capability? The only thing I don’t know is how to give it “power” attribute? or is it not that simple ?

Hi @eurotrash,

Sorry I didn’t see your reply until now.

You really want a good DTH, but yes - setting it to Zwave Switch should work too.

Tell you what… I can create a version of mine that will work for you if you can wait until a little later tonight or Saturday morning?

Hi @eurotrash,

Give this DTH a try:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-leak-gopher-valve-controller.src/my-leak-gopher-valve-controller.groovy

It’s got switch capability which will allow you to turn it on (open) / off (closed) via apps looking for switches. All I did was use ST’s default DTH and add the “on” and “off” section in the code.

John,
Sorry I was out of town in Vegas this week. Right before I left I just turned it to “Zwave switch” and it works. I have it on a schedule to turn on everyday for a couple hours and then turn off. Seems to be working as needed. The only thing I noticed is I can’t set the LED light off. Is there any features the DTH would enable? I appreciate your help …

Should be. Look in Device Preferences for the device in the mobile app.