Kennel Lock Controlled

(Luis Henrique Amaral) #1

I have dogs who stay in kennel during the cleaning woman working in home but when she finish her job and leave my home I am away and I wish I could release the dogs from their kennel with a Smart Things controlled lock.

(Joe) #2

Can’t you just ask the cleaning service to let your dog out?
To automate it, you’d have to fabricate your own device to interface with your create and then use a zwave relay to trigger it.

I wonder if you’d be able to take an August lock and fabricate an adapter to turn the lock on your crate.

Either way, you’ll need to fabricate a way to use the crate lock.

There are Wi-Fi controlled dog crate locks used for exactly this purpose. The gadget is just a sliding bolt with an actuator, designed to be added to an existing dog crate. They’re not that expensive. (I’m in a wheelchair and have a service dog, so I actually looked into several of these kinds of gadgets last year.)

Once you look at these, you’ll be able to see that they could easily be adapted to any smartthings-controlled plug in power switch. (Some might take a little rewiring. If you don’t want to do that yourself, you could have an electrician do it really easily. But if they’re designed to just plug into a WeMo plug, you just use a SmartThings controllable plug instead.)

There’s one brand, Easyout, which can be used with a plug. That should be smart things controllable if you just use a ST plug instead.

The Easyout inventor’s website looks a little hokey, but the device has been on the market for a couple years and a lot of small pet supply retailers carry it. Take a look at the guy’s videos, he comes across as much more professional there and you can really see what the device is.

http://easyoutpetrelease.com/?page_id=621

And this video with the inventor shows the parts and how it actually works.

One community member, @johnr , made a much more durable weatherproofed device to automatically close a chicken coop door, but I think that would be more than you need for your use case. You can see the basic concept is pretty similar to the dog crate one above, but in a much more heavy duty form.

Looking for a way to lock a cabinet
(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #4

As the CosmicPuppy, I have to say that your best bet is to search for a “pug-and-play” solution… :dog: :speak_no_evil:

Did you see the beagle in the first video above? :grinning:

By the way, the model that is closest to a plug-and-play solution is the easyout deluxe, which you can only buy direct from the inventor. He takes PayPal. Costs just under $100 with shipping, then you use your own smartthings-controllable plug.

But you will still have to attach the actuator to the dog crate. No wiring required but may need a little drilling.

http://easyoutpetrelease.com/?page_id=621

(Joe) #6

All of these seem to be for smaller dogs. My German shepherd has broken out of wire crates with ease.

@Luis what breed of dog are you creating?

He does a double lock model, it should work for big dog crates. The crate has the same crate integrity as it did before, you’re just adding a slide bolt actuator.

But you could always go for the chicken coop version if you need something stronger.

(Luis Henrique Amaral) #8

My kennel is big for my Rottweilers the point is find a device able to release the dogs from my work compatible with Smart Things

(Luis Henrique Amaral) #9

No I can’t because the dogs are trained to home defense. Would be great if use a lock wi fi connected with my SmartThings Hub.

(Luis Henrique Amaral) #10

Great!!! I believe this one works good opening the gate.

(John Rucker) #11

My solution would be best for opening and closing the door (designed to work with a sliding door). Just as an FYI they will be available for sale in about a month. See CoopBoss.com for more information. Thanks JD for the mention!!