Keen Smart Home Vents

As always, you don’t read properly before posting.

Actually if you refer to the 2 DTHs I’m talking about, you will soon realize that the one of the DTHs which I consider the best was not coded by me but by John C.

And, I originally made some changes to the stock DTH not only because of the battery issue, but also because it always reports the vents open.

I was part of the Keen Home beta program, so I know what I am talking about.

So again, if you don’t what you’re talking about, just stop embarrassing yourself.

You always make me laugh. You really think I am embarrassing myself, right? Do you truly believe that?

As for your suggestion someone else’s DTH is best, I can’t really agree with you, here’s what you suggest the 2 “best” DTHs are:

Oh boy, yours is first. And this is from your referenced post.

Tell me, I can’t win this, right? Because you never see the forest from the branches… I’ll leave it at that, you win :smiley:

1 Like

And this is a personal insult, just so you know. Got any proof please?

Yes, I win again because you have posted false information twice before reading my posts.

And, you don’t know the INs and OUTs of the Keen Home context, and you want to chip in regardless.

So, before posting some false feedback about my posts, just read and “thread” carefully.

Uh, what have we got here?

Wow, what’s that supposed to mean, tread carefully? Threats now? LOL

There is simply no winning with you, Mr Best Coder… Simply no winning, and it’s not because you’re right

Best laugh I had in days though.

[quote=“yvesracine, post:606, topic:5826, full:true”]
you have posted false information twice before reading my posts.[/quote]

Can you please show me again, with PROOF this time? And how exactly did I post before reading? LOL

You might learn something in the process about Keen Home…

And, BTW, you should try John’s DTH, the look and feel is much better than the stock device, and it just works.

That’s the one I’m using at home (since it was built with a multi-tile and has a nice UI).
(Mine is used by people who want to keep the same look & feel as the stock device).

Do you know how often I check my vents? Once a year - and I had them for three months, so I haven’t yet checked them. It is very possible that the snapshot I took above is really the second time I visited that DTH’s UI. They’re all set to do things automatically, depending on presence. My daughter’s bedroom is not cooled when she’s out for days. But back on subject, that is probably one of the most useless UI for me - I don’t ever go to that device, it’s shady territory there. My home is on automatic pilot, that’s the whole point of HA… not just being able to control it from my phone, but the house being able to manage itself. I just change batteries, I haven’t managed to teach the the ST app how to do that yet… :smiley:

2 Likes

I love the passion! Believe it or not the banter helped me understand better what I need to do, so I thank you both!

3 Likes

i’ve been using this device handler and its been working well for over 6 months (also was part of the Keen Beta)

It shows the pressure as well and has quick adjustment settings

No issues with Keenect v1 & v2

1 Like

Sure, It’s the same I’ve been referring in my thread and my posts above. It was built upon mine with a nicer UI (multi-tile).

Regards.

Hi everyone,
I am sorry if that simple question has been answered already but I am still not sure of the answer…
I have a smartthing already working in my house (very pleased about it) and am thinking about buying these keen vents. This is a 4 stories house including a separated basement. I have up to 7 degrees c difference between the basement and some upstairs rooms, so I expect to improve this with these devices. I have an Ecobee thermostat and I would need 16 vents.
The question is, do I need a keen bridge ? If yes how many as I see they sell a package of 8 vents and 2 bridges ?
Thank you for your assistance, any other advice is welcome :slight_smile:

Hi @cben0ist,

Please refer to my answer below:

Regards.

1 Like

Apologies if this is or seems lazy. Is there any way to set an automation for my vent to set a certain level based on a temperature sensor I have in my room with a built in smartapp? I don’t want to fool with all of the github and custom stuff, I’d rather just have something that works without much tinkering necessary. Do I need the keen hub for that?

Hi Dan,

Some people have used SmartLighting (smartapp dedicated for Lighting) to control somehow the vents.

I personally don’t know how they do it as controlling the vents should be based on different temp/motion/thermostat mode/ST hello mode and other parameter readings in real time in order to reach maximum efficiency.

If you’re lazy (as you said), you can contribute to one of my support packages (they sell as low as $3/month), and I will set you up (initial setup) and update the code for you (based on a contribution to one of my zoned heating/cooling solutions).

See this thread for more details:

My zoned heating/cooling solutions are available at my store:

http://www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.

Thank you @yvesracine for your answer.
Dumb question, don’t the vent themselves act as a Zigbee repeater ?

No they dont.

Unfortunately currently there isn’t a st published application for controlling these vents. Your only options are limited control via smart lighting, Yves paid app, Keenect or core.
Yves app and Keenect are dedicated vent control apps, the other two are not.
Keen and st reached out to me directly several months ago requesting that I submit Keenect for publication. While I was honored by the request, I simply didn’t have the time to deal with it.

Hi, I just released new versions of all my zoned Heating/Cooling solution smartapps with the following features:

• Made some changes in order to take into account contact sensors when adjusting the vents or when calculating the avg temp based on all temps collected at different temp sensors
  • If a contactSensor is open (ex. window), then the vent(s) in the related room will be closed (using the safeguards)
  • If a contactSensor is open, then the temp reading related to the room will not be taken into account for the avg temp calculation
  • The Vent & Temp adjustment can be controlled via the setAdjustmentVentContactFlag & setAdjustmentTempContactFlag parameters in GeneralSetup ( default value is false, so no adjustments with contact sensors are made by default)
  • You’d need to specify also the contactSensor to be used in each room (Room Setup page)

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Look_.26_Feel
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones#Look_.26_Feel
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl#Look_.26_Feel

So, now all my zoned heating/cooling solutions can use the following sensors to better control the vents:

• Presence sensors via the ST hello modes
  • Temp/Motion/Contact sensors for fine tuning the vent settings in real time

The new versions are available at my store for download:

http://www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards .

I only use these to tell the temperature of air coming out of my vents and to divert the air a little but not close. A couple of them do a terrible job at simply reporting the temp. I don’t feel it’s a good idea to close any vent if you use all rooms. I did buy a keen home hub but could never get a vent to sync to it.