Is there a way to access the Input element itself?

smartapp

(Moiz Hayder) #1

Is there a way to access the input object ?

For example, I have the following Inputs in the preferences:

input “switches”, “capability.switch”, title: “Light Switch”, required: false, multiple: true
input “thermostats”, “capability.thermostat”, title: “Thermostat”, required: false, multiple: true

Is there a way to iterate over the inputs and access properties like: input[0].name, input[0].title ?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

There’s nothing called “input”, but there’s a map called “settings”. Print it out with log.debug settings.

The individual devices are in maps or lists named with the first parameter of the input() statement (i.e,. switches[], thermostats[] and can be iterated over. See every single SmartApp. :slight_smile:

(Moiz Hayder) #3

@tgauchat,

Yes, I am aware of the settings map. But I want the input element object.

Reason: The Thermostat has multiple capabilities, I can do thermostats[0].capabilities, but it will return all the capabilities supported by thermostat. I want to get only that supported capability that I mentioned in the input element. I can hard-code the mapping in my code like [“thermostats”:“thermostat”], but I want to know if I can somehow get a list or map of input elements and retrieve the capability from it.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #4

I don’t understand…

Each input element is already filtered to one specific Capability.

input “thermostatObjects”, “capability.thermostat”

(Mike Maxwell) #5

you can do this the other way around

def buildInputs(){
	def map = []
	map.push(1:[name:"mySwitch",title:"select switches",description:"my switches",type:"capability.switch",required:true]
	map.push(2:[name:"myTherm",title:"select stat",description:"my stats",type:"capability.thermostat",required:false]
	return map
}

then:
	input(
		name	: buildInputs()[1].name
		,title	: buildInputs()[1].title
		,description : buildInputs()[1].description
		,type	: buildInputs()[1].type
		,required : buildInputs()[1].required
	)

(Moiz Hayder) #6

just execute: log.debug “${thermostatObjects.capabilities}” or
log.debug "${thermostatObjects[0].capabilities}"
for a physical thermostat (or map a device handler from templates to a virtual device) and you’ll see what I mean.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #7

Yes… I know you can enumerate the capabilities list of a Device Object, but I guess I don’t understand your question.

The thermostatObjects may have several capabilities each, but the Objects came from a “thermostat” input filter, so you are only “supposed” to use them with the Commands and Attributes of Capability Thermostat.

…?

(Chris) #8

The input doesn’t exist as an object at execution, only the value that was assigned by it. It’s a definition for the user interface (mobile app) to use to build the controls. To access the input you have to be able to execute code on the mobile app.