Is the new app done? (Feb 2019)

@Brad_ST does it show your wifi network on the samsung account website?

ok, so… correlation is not causation :smile: then what is the difference between “inside” and “arrived”?

I’m confused, we already have this option in the Classic App but I do not recall a class a lawsuit. A simple disclaimer should be enough. SmartThings is not a security platform.

We don’t even know where the house keys are.:rofl::rofl:

It’s always been marketed as a security platform of some sort, and is still today, although now the links only take you to the ADT model hub:

It’s never too late to try to avoid a lawsuit, especially if one hasn’t happened yet. Just because there hasn’t been a public suit, it doesn’t mean that Samsung’s lawyers haven’t suddenly decided to be more proactive, and/or have settled something confidentially.

You’d think, right? But, no, it is very hard to disclaim risks sufficiently enough to avoid attempted claims. Keep in mind that SmartThings is expanding to many international markets, and some of these have substantially higher (or lower) consumer protection laws (civil and criminal).

The fact remains that product management is concurrently practiced two very different paths in the same company for the same product:

1. Designers, engineers, and random product managers arbitrarily make a design decision. Sometimes it’s just to meet a deadline, other times it is just because some one person (of sufficient power) doesn’t like a particular choice of icon or color.

2. Other times the same types of design and implementation decisions (i.e., both big and small, significant and inconsequential) go through hours or weeks of formal review, customer focus groups, cross-product standards & compliance, cost/benefit analysis, etc., etc., etc…

It’s often the case that the customer can’t tell the difference, and it’s often the case that the company will not reveal why a particular design element or feature exists or doesn’t exist.

We can tell that practise #2 is in currently in play, though; as the most recent release of New App is obviously been restructured to conform to Samsung’s “One UI” initiative. But, of course, this has nothing to do with presence-based unlocking/SHM. There may, however, be a “security department” which is particularly conservative (e.g., it might operate under or close to the KNOX group).

Either way, it’s pretty rediculous not having the ability to turn on a light when you arrive home…I understand the security stuff but if one chooses to bypass disclaimers and implement features that are not supported natively, then that should be their choice.

huh? you can turn on a light based on presence.

1 Like

In the new app, you can use Geopresence for most things: including turning lights on and off. What you can’t use it for are control of locks or changing SHM armed state.

To be honest, I don’t know whether you can use it for a garage door or not.

1 Like

Oh! Thanks. Can you control locks or changing arm states based on a switch?

Not in the new app. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Just a basic question… Maybe the answer is already in this thread and I’m missing it. I am currently on the Smartthings Classic App. If I switch to the New App, would I have to start from scratch and input/pair all my devices, rules routines etc? OR could my existing devices, automations, settings etc be simply transferred to the New App? Hopefully it’s the first. Tx…

Yours devices will be in the new app. Whether they work or not is a separate issue. Routines that are in the Classic app are not in the STSC app. You have a new feature called Custom Automations. The best thread for differences between the two apps can be found in the following thread…

3 Likes