Is the new app done? (Feb 2019)

Ok then, a specific switch in the system configuration.

Switch label: ALLOW AUTOMATED UNLOCKING OF SMART LOCKS

Switch description: “Setting this switch to ‘Enabled’ allows your automations, including all sensors, to unlock your smart lock(s). WARNING: By setting this switch to ‘Enabled’ you release Smartthings and its parent, Samsung, from any/all liability if your home is entered without your permission via the entryways secured by these locks.”

And then when you set it to ‘enabled’ a second warning pops up: WARNING! Enabling this function could make your home less secure! Are you sure you want to do this?”
And if you don’t click ‘Yes’, it does not do the setting.

2 Likes

I would very much like to see this as a choice offered to customers, if only because of the disability use cases I have mentioned previously.

Some of us need totally hands-free options. At the present time, the new SmartThings app does not offer any because the app itself is not voice accessible and they’ve removed all the other control methods. :scream:

1 Like

I’m talking about using the presence sensors not the phone based Geo location. I have multiple presence sensors and they work exactly as they should. Currently when everyone has gone the SHM arms itself, turns on my cameras and starts monitoring. I then get an alert on my phone and watch telling me if there is any issues. The reverse happens when i get home, it disables the SHM, Turns off the cameras and turns on lights that i want. Again the important thing here is the presence sensor, its zigbee based and so it only communicates with the hub when in range. Why can’t this be supported? I totally understand why its not great with the phone based presence sensors though.

2 Likes

The use of the ZigBee Presence Sensor has demonstrated plenty of issues. Since ZigBee messages can be lost, many folks have reported that sometimes SmartThings will think they have left home and then returned.

• Customers may have used the act of leaving home to activate SHM, thus setting off alarms because the house was still legitimately occupied.
  • Customers may used act of “returning home” to open their garage door and/or unlock doors. Plenty of folks have been furious to find their garage doors open in the morning, just because their Hub went offline sometime during the night.

Of course, we are just speculating as to why SmartThings removed the feature in the New App. Plenty of other functions have changed too.

Every product changes. If the change or missing feature is a problem, we’ve been told that discussing it in the Community is of no benefit. Only reports to Support (or perhaps product reviews) are visible to SmartThings management…

Good news is re: the arrival sensor, looks like they are marking it run local. So internet outages hopefully won’t cause a leave-arrive sequence in the future.

1 Like

The fact that the DTH runs locally does not necessarily mean that the “present” status will run locally or that local mode changes will be possible. Those are all independent issues.

Just sayin’…

1 Like

This is true! Will be interesting to see what affect it has.

1 Like

Since I moved to the AA battery configuration for the Zigbee presence sensor, I’ve not had a single issue like the above… and there are program mitigations that can be created. For example, my front door automatically re-locks itself if the lock has been unlocked for three minutes but the door is closed. So if the hub goes offline and comes back online and that results in the sensor being seen as ‘arriving’ and therefore unlocks the door, my door re-locks in three minutes. The window of vulnerability is tiny; what are the odds a burglar will be trying to force the door at that exact moment that hardly ever occurs in the first place?

And does ST support accept a user opening a case for a product (the new app) he’s not yet using?

1 Like

I see no reason not to - especially if the case is essentially a “feature request”, not a “bug report”.

1 Like

They are cooking something great. If it works out well, we will have local presence… The new “inside” status is when the phone connects to LAN…

@HA_fanatic do you have smartthings WiFi? They added that to the device handler a month or so ago. Was wondering what triggers it.

1 Like

Nope, I do not, there is an option to select your home Wi-Fi in settings. I don’t recall seeing it before the new-new app was released.

Account >> Places >> Home >> add Wi-Fi to detect presence accurately

1 Like

Android or iOS? This is all I have under iOS.

I found it on my Android Galaxy S7.

1 Like

Nifty. Can you do anything with it under custom automations?

It might but can’t be sure until next week.

I am not using location based services in the new app yet but turned them on tonight to take a look. In custom rules it brings up a field to select location but it’s locked to my home.

When I get to my daughter and son-in-laws on Monday I will associate their WiFi with their location and see if it lets me use that location in a rule. I have added their physical address as a location but it won’t let me select it yet in a rule.

I removed the WiFi association with my home and it still defaults to my home location in the rule. It made no difference.

I hope this makes sense. I’ll post more on Monday unless someone else has a chance to look at it before then.

3 Likes

If it’s based on being connected to your WiFi or not, you should be able to just turn off WiFi in your phone, no? Also, now that you turned on location services in the new app, check for a duplicate mobile presence device in Classic :grimacing:

It dawned on me to assign my kids house to me 2G network for testing. My house is associated with the 5G. I could’t use the kids location even after assigning it a network.

I did end up with a new presence device in the classic app but it disappeared when I turned off presence detection in the new app. I have used Life 360 for years because of issues with the classic app and presence.

Being as there is a menu option in custom automations for location I wonder if this a feature not yet completed? Doesn’t make much sense to have a field that is not selectable.

Sounds like it if there isn’t a separate choice for it then it hasn’t been fully implemented. The new capability is called “occupancy sensor” and returns “occupied/inside” or “unoccupied/away”.

1 Like

I don’t think that setting has any relation to the SmartThings app, at least at this time.

The setting is accessed on Samsung phones as part of the Samsung account. You can also view the setting in your account profile at account.samsung.com.

3 Likes