Is SmartThings Shield for Arduino Available Anywhere?

If you’re still not using the things shields you have, I’d be happy to buy them from you. I have done a ST–>X10 interface that is working and happy along with Google Home --> ST. I’m surprised by the reliability.

Now I want to do other integration projects of other not-quite-ST-ready older devices.

I received an email from ST that

I am going to disappoint you a bit… unfortunately we are no longer carrying the Arduino ThingShield. Thanks for writing in. I am not aware of any alternatives, but the SmartThings developer and hobbyist community might have some recommendations for you.

That’s really bad news! I was planning to build a sprinkler controller using an Arduino and Things Shield but now I have to figure out something else. Ugh!

I think the world is moving toward IP devices instead of smartthings shields. It is not totally crazy. I think for the next project I’ll use a regular wifi card and do it that way. But then I have to rewrite code….

Is it possible to use the ESP8266 with AD2Pi instead of the discontinued smartthings thingshield?
How :smile:?

Im stuck with the AD2pi hardware and no smartthings thingshield hardware :confused:

Not cool smartthings management.

Maybe this could help??? I have a new version of the Arduino SmartThings library which now supports using an Arduino with an Ethernet W5100 shield. Or, you could just use a NodeMCU ESP8266 board. I support that platform as well. I also still support the old ThingShield as well.

3 Likes

Dan,
Thanks so much for posting this. I hope that SmartThings is somehow recognizing and supporting you, as you ST_Anything code is the only reason I came on board with ST and the discontinuation of the ThingShield was making me feel like jumping ship!
I am looking to build ST into my home renovation pans, and the ability to switch relays is key to this.

I haven’t looked at the code as yet, but it will be high on my list of things to do when I have time.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Dan,

I am trying to integrate an old wired security system with SmartThings and found this article, but it relies on the SmartThings ThingShield, which seems pretty much officially dead.

I’ve been digging around trying to find an alternative or maybe old supply/stock on ebay but now you mention using the W5100 instead and the ST_Anything project (which incidentally is used in the article I linked) - talk about serendipity!

Would the project referenced in the link still function as intended using this hardware trade-out? How does one go about getting the SmartThings hub to talk/link to my bevy of alarm sensors if there’s no SmartThings interface in front of them?

I have one thing shield left, $50, free shipping to the 48…
PM me if interested, thanks, Mike

How do I send a PM? I can go to your profile and click on all sorts of things but I’m not seeing any ‘send X user a message’ type options. What am I missing?

pm sent…

If you can get an old ThingShield, that is definitely the simplest and most straightforward path.

If not, or if you need additional Arduinos to be connected, check out my most recent update (v2.1) to my Arduino libraries as I have just added a very low-cost Arduino/WiFi solution.

I know this is an older thread, but just wanted to ask if anyone else is using ST with a Wemo Maker to roughly the same effect as they might with an Arduino ST Shield. I just got the Wemo Maker (Connect) app here: [RELEASE] Wemo Maker
I’ve been wanting to hook up a waterproof temp probe (for a hot tub) that could then trigger smart things to turn off a Leviton wall outlet that the hot tub is plugged into. I have a problem with my tub getting overheated (which is also a big waste of power, and annoying when I can’t get in for fear of third degree burns :wink: ) I was planning on using the shield for this, but just started playing with the Maker.
My current issue I’m trying to resolve is whether the Maker device and Smartapp alone can do this. I also want the outlet to come back on when the water temp is low enough again. At this point, I’m pretty sure I’m going to need to insert an Arduino between the temp probe and the Maker to handle the logic, then send the correct voltage values to the Maker, which will then trigger the ST routine to turn off/on the tub. I would just love to have the Shield, and eliminate the Maker from the picture. What a pity it’s been discontinued. Someone else needs to make those, and sell them on amazon. Seems like there’s good demand from everything I’ve read. In any case, I hope this all works! Thanks for all the great info and links in this thread. Super helpful.

cheers,
Jeremy

PM me if you want to buy a shield from me.

Hey there! I’ll take one please! I’m on vacation in Mexico right now, but I can PayPal you or however you’d like to receive payment. What platform are you using these days now that you’ve away from ST?

I’m probably just being dense due to lack of good coffee, but I can’t figure out how to PM you @dome. My email is jeremy dot Koerber at gmail dot com. This is a serious offer for one of your shields. Thanks!

You can use an Arduino with an XBee shield for some of the functionality that the SmartThings Shield provided. As a starting point, I have ported JRucker’s spin ZigBee HA API over to Arduino. It can be found at:

There are more details on the WiKi tab.

3 Likes

i created an account here to say that i want the other shield you have for sale. i cannot send a PM because i am new but i seriously want the shield and i do have a paypal send me an email to gleamindemon at hot mail dot com

@gleamindemon and @Jeremy_Koerber

I’ll reach out to you guys by email. Thanks!

Thanks @dome! Standing by.