Is programming ST Hub more "unstructured" than ISY?

As some of my Insteon devices begin to fail, I’m thinking of taking a different route and trying out z-wave devices.

One critical element in my decision process is the ease of programming. My quick google search says that ST Hub programming is not as “structured” as ISY programming. (I took a good read of How to Get Started Creating Complex Rules in SmartThings (2017) (SmartThings Classic))

I also have Alexa, and to me ST Hub programming looks more like building a routine in Alexa - you are able to pick and assemble any of the building blocks that Alexa provides easily, but you are limited by what Alexa provides. With Isy, you can do fairly complex programming using conditions and variables.

Can someone direct me to a resource that shows I can program ST Hub in a manner similar to Isy programming?

I’ll have to leave the rest of your question to someone else, but forget learning about the Classic app, it’s about to be phased out!

1 Like

SmartThings is in the middle of a huge transition: new hub, new app, new platform. Once that is complete, you can program in anything you want, from C to Python, and communicate with SmartThings through a REST API.

There is also a new “Rules API” intended to eventually replace the community built WebCore, which is essentially a scripting language for SmartThings. But both of these are still in early development.

https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/

New Rules API engine

For now, your best bet is WebCORE:

FAQ: What is WebCoRE? (And what was CoRE?)

But all of that said, it’s critical to understand that SmartThings will continue to largely be a cloud-based platform. Your code, whether on the new platform or the old, will not run on your hub. It will run either in your own separate server or in the SmartThings cloud. All custom code runs in the cloud. Even the new Rules API still runs in the cloud. And the SmartThings hub doesn’t even support telnet: everything has to run up through the ST cloud, even their own mobile app.

If you are leaving Insteon and looking for something new, my suggestion would be Homeseer. Yes, it’s more expensive than SmartThings, but it’s also a much more robust local environment.

A quick question. This “new hub” you mentioned - is ST Hub 3 it? Or is a newer hub on the horizon?

Yes, it’s the V3 hub. :sunglasses: