Is Philips Hue the neglected one and TCP the favored one

I did not have to do that. All I did was make sure they were named exactly what I wanted them to be named. I did not uninstall any bulbs. I believe your issue is an ST bug. I doubt it has anything to do with your network at this point. Even if ST has picked up a different address for your hub due to dhcp that is still an ST bug. ST poorly handles devices that use DHCP, but the solution should not be assign static IP addresses to everything.

2 Likes

@jodyalbritton Totally agree.I did the exact same thing. I just renamed the bulbs in Philips hue web site and they correctly reflect on all 3rd part apps.

Also the hue connect uninstall was definitely touched with the 1/28 update:

“Fixed a bug that prevented the Hue Connect app from being uninstalled”, Guess that introduced a new much more critical bug.

Understood and agreed. I was just thinking of what might be different between Ron’s setup and yours, and I know he has multiple routers, only one of which assigns DHCP addresses. So I just wondered if there could be anything in that which made his re installation take a different branch. But like I said, not necessarily applicable.

@jody.albritton @JDRoberts @April @Tyler and Ryan…

I can guarantee that ST server is aware of the hue bridge from somewhere but cannot verify it because of networkDeviceId.

What I am doing is send a hub command on turning on a switch and well, in the handler I do see that it knows and is aware of my hue hub

sendHubCommand(new physicalgraph.device.HubAction(“lan discovery urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:basic:1”, physicalgraph.device.Protocol.LAN))

Result:

‎1‎:‎22‎:‎53‎ ‎PM: debug I got back devicetype:04, mac:0017881709A3, networkAddress:0A000108, deviceAddress:0050, stringCount:03, ssdpPath:/description.xml, ssdpUSN:uuid:2f402f80-da50-11e1-9b23-0017881709a3, ssdpTerm:uuid:2f402f80-da50-11e1-9b23-0017881709a3

‎1‎:‎22‎:‎53‎ ‎PM: debug 122 Turner Ave Hub is devicetype:04, mac:0017881709A3, networkAddress:0A000108, deviceAddress:0050, stringCount:03, ssdpPath:/description.xml, ssdpUSN:uuid:2f402f80-da50-11e1-9b23-0017881709a3, ssdpTerm:uuid:2f402f80-da50-11e1-9b23-0017881709a3

‎1‎:‎22‎:‎53‎ ‎PM: debug In response handler

0017881709A3 is the mac of my hue hub.

Code:

/**
 *  test
 *  Copyright 2015 Ron S
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 */
definition(
    name: "test",
    namespace: "test",
    author: "Ron S",
    description: "test",
    category: "",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png",
    iconX3Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png")

preferences {
	section("When the following is turned on and off...") {
		input name: "master", title: "Which Switch?", type: "capability.switch", required: true
	}
}

def installed() {
	log.debug "Installed with settings: ${settings}"

initialize()
}

def updated() {
	log.debug "Updated with settings: ${settings}"
	unsubscribe()
	initialize()
}

def initialize() {
	subscribe(master, "switch.on", onHandler, [filterEvents: false])
 	subscribe(location, null, lanResponseHandler, [filterEvents:false])
}

def lanResponseHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "In response handler"
    log.debug "$evt.displayName is $evt.value";
	log.debug "I got back ${evt.description}"
}

def onHandler(evt) {
    checkDevice()
}

def checkDevice() {
   // def deviceNetworkId = "0A000108:0050" // "10.0.1.8:80"
	sendHubCommand(new physicalgraph.device.HubAction("lan discovery urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:basic:1", physicalgraph.device.Protocol.LAN))
}

// TODO: implement event handlers

The multiple routers are eliminated as of last night. Only one router in play. :slight_smile:

Is your network happier now?

no clue… at work now… :frowning:

Is this some kind of a joke while I sit here in office 35 miles away from home and decide to try from here… Just look but unfortunately I can’t press the button on the hue hub remotely to link it…

Update: The error messages in the logs have changed mysteriously… For everybody’s benefit some of the error messages that I posted are very much reproducible by ST support (as per Ryan) but it shouldn’t prevent the hue hub discovery. I cannot confirm or deny till I am home and have a working integration. Did continuously executing the following line of code hundred times from office help in some way…

sendHubCommand(new physicalgraph.device.HubAction(“lan discovery urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:basic:1”, physicalgraph.device.Protocol.LAN))

This is to let everybiody know that looks like the issue is resolved for now and I was able to add all the hues back. @juano2310 @Tyler @April @jody.albritton @cooperglee @JDRoberts and all! Thanks a lot… And of course thanks to Ryan from Support. Don’t know his alais for constant updates. No clue what and how it was fixed except that I sent the hubcommand thousand times from office. You will still see errors in the log when you add the hue hub but it somehow goes thru…

3 Likes

Hey all, I have a couple older Sonos components, yeah I’m one of those early adopters and I find that when you reboot a sonos component it’s super chatty on the network for the next 30min or so. I don’t know if it’s due to it being pissed off at me but I’m sure this causes some latency on the network. I know there will be those that say, nah that’s not it but it’s been well documented in my household.

Sharing is caring and I thought I’d toss it out since someone mentioned other network issues.

Bill… Sonos and the SonosNet is a complete mystery… Android users can at least see what’s going on with SonosNet but it’s not exposed to iOS users! I know for sure that three play 1’s are connecting to BOOST SONOSNET network but not sure how the Boost is affecting my network.

you might try using a network sniffer like wireshark if you are on a mac.

Unfortunately everything in my house is iOS except for the computers/laptops which is still windows. Will get a Mac soon…:

wireshark has a windows package as well…, no need for a MAC.
Anyway, you trying to give Ron another heart attack?, nothing’s more fun than packet decoding…

1 Like

Thanks @Mike_Maxwell for the info and the reason for a second attack! :wink: that reminds me to get a cardiologist appt. Oops! Have the second blockage to get checked… Wish there was an app for that! :slight_smile: you guys will know… The day there is no “smart” post… I am in trouble on that day…:wink: till then will will keep ST on their feets! :wink:

Hey, guys! I see that the Hue Connect app has logic to add bulbs as a Hue or Lux. How come all my bulbs were identified as Hues even though there are two lux’s? May be it can be blamed on “network issues” in my house? :wink:

I think it has something to do with the backwards capablity not testing for lux. In my githb im working on code to fix that and add more features from the API. Also do you know how I could get the updated connect app? I cant seem to verify my hue bridge anymore.

Github: github.com/zpriddy - keep checking it for more updates as i am working on it daily

holy CARP (mispelt intentionally)… You are facing the same issue that I struggled with yday. I started sending hubcommand hundreds of time y’day from office which absolutely may not have any bearing at at all… But 35 miles away from home, I decided to add a bulb and the bridge got recognized and things started working… Check the posts above!

Haha I have been having this issue on and off for a few days now. I am offen working on code on my free time at work when Im away from home… So I have a bad tendency to hardcode the appid/tooken into my code so i dont have to press the button… But for the last 24 hours I have not been able to verify my hub :frowning:

…I just want it to work again lol

try the piece of crappy code I posted above and see what that stupid thing returns and if that remotely resembles your hue hub? I have zero explanation but it kept returning me something related to the hue hub and all of a sudden things fell in place… Not exactly but it works (besides missing a few hues on/offs)…and please don’t believe the interference crap as I had removed all bridged routers and had the hubs plugged into the same router and was 0 miles from home when I was trying to get them to be discovered when it didn’t work… But lately due to bad weather in NorthEast, the signals are kind of getting blown away…