Iris Smart Plug WiFi

I already have an Iris Wi-Fi Smart Plug and until recently had the majority of my devices talking to my Iris Hub. And before I learned of the beauty of the user community here in SmartThings, I was looking for ways to automate my Iris system. I came across the Iris+ mobile app. It is not a Lowe’s product, but like products from this community, made by a 3rd party. It allows for integration of Iris scenes and the IFTTT Notifications service.

When I saw @hires06’s post on this, an idea struck me. It may not be pretty, but sometimes clunky solutions give birth to better ones.

Since I already can control my Iris devices via IFTTT thanks to the Iris+ mobile app, I can make a Virtual Switch and utilize IFTTT to trigger my Iris WiFi Smart Plug if the Virtual Switch status changes.

So I made 2 IFTTT recipes. 1 for VirtualSwitch on, trigger a Plug on scene and 1 for VirtualSwitch off triggering a Plug off scene.

The net result is an Iris WiFi Smart Plug that is controlled via SmartThings.

Yes, it requires the Iris app and the Iris+ app (but not the Hub. It works without it), but I already had it. And now I have my remaining straggler talking to my SmartThings.