iOS 2.0 Discussion!

Just got a reply to my ticket from the COO indicating that the “Contact Book” function is not available on iOS. It is in “a coming update” which he thinks is the next release.

“Not available” aka - broken real good. I love smartthings but I’m not a fan boy and call it like I see it . This release is super buggy. Maybe they need a wider beta program???

I have been submitting tickets with what I have found and everyone should as well. As somone already mentioned the more they see it - the quicker it will be realized an a real issue and not a DFU

1 Like

Every time I complained about 1.X (which IMHO had the most user-hostile user experience I’ve seen in a while), I was told “Wait for 2”

And now… my house is broken basically. Good thing I never went “all in” on the switches. Between this and the inferior build quality of switches to Insteon (i.e., they are way thicker and harder to fit in 2 or 3 gang boxes), I think I’m moving back to Insteon. What a waste.

1 Like

Anyone tried to include a new switch with app v2?

I’ve got a new Leviton dimmer and a GE on/off single pole that were detected just fine but as soon as I tap one to configure it I get an infinite spinner.

I’ve added an Aeon Motor Controller (z-wave), and a zigbee motion sensor. No problems at all. You might want to reboot your hub and try again…

Is it just me but “doors and locks” all is in mine is doors no locks and I don’t see a way to enter it in. :persevere:

Yeah, that didn’t do it. Fortunately I’ve still got my wife’s phone on 1.whatever and that worked just fine.

has anyone figured out a quick way to change mode like you used to? Mine gets stuck random in other modes vs what routine I am in.

They want you to set up a routine for each mode change, but that would clutter up my routines too much. So I set up a switch for each one and then put them into a “room” I call “mode change switches.”

This is really good feedback and text size and weight is something we’re looking to address immediately. Most of us on the team are SmartThings users so we have been testing the app extensively during its development. Feedback like this is imperative once it gets out to a mass audience.

2 Likes

This is deliberate to increase space on that specific screen. You can either swipe back or tap the back button in the upper left.

Try wearing a blindfold for an hour and using the built-in iOS accessibility feature, “voiceover” to navigate this app. Or switch control.

Maybe you can “swipe back or tap the back button in the upper left,” but a lot of us can’t.

People with disabilities are a large market for inexpensive home automation. But we have to be able to use the control apps. Moving the primary navigation around makes this very difficult. ( putting it on the bottom of the screen doesn’t help either. )

The national Federation of the blind will be happy to help review your apps to make sure that they meet ADA accessibility guidelines.

So will the people at Tecla, who make one of the most popular switch devices.

These resources are available. I suggest you use them.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. On it!

1 Like

That’s a very good point that @JDRoberts has made before. I’ve looked at some of the systems he has mentioned in the past and they are crazy expensive and not the most “open.” Although it is a narrower market, it does seem like one ripe for conquest. Partnering up with the many different organizations out there for input and co-marketing.

And, on top of all that, you are doing something good! (That’s my Quaker side talking!)

1 Like

In the old app, when installing your own SmartApps, after you installed an app the UI returned to the same screen it had been on before. That meant that if you have a list of apps and had to scroll down to the one you wanted to install, you’d be back to that scrolled position. The new app blows you back to the next higher menu, on My Apps.

This should be the way it was in the old app, not this new way. This is especially true if your are doing a migration to Hub V2. For example, I have 25 instances of one of my apps. I’m going through an upgrade where I deleted all 25 apps, and now am adding them back in. With the old UI, after each add I was already in the right place in the UI to do it again. Now, it’s more laborious as I have to touch My Apps, then scroll down to the one I want, just making the process that much more laborious. PLEASE :grinning:

1 Like

I just wanted to mention, since I get asked this a lot, that health insurance generally does not cover the cost of assistive technology in the US. Basically if it’s something that would be of benefit to an able-bodied person, or if it’s something the insurance company/US government defines as “for convenience” then you have to pay the full cost yourself.

And these definitions are a lot different than you might think. Wheelchairs are usually covered, but not the cost of a wheelchair ramp to get in and out of your house. Bathlifts are not covered because that’s again considered a “convenience”–Insurance assumes you can substitute sponge baths.

What that means is that even though there are some very good environmental control systems in the $15,000 - $75,000 range, typically the only people who can afford them are those who were injured in accidents caused by others where they received a settlement.

Those who were injured in no-fault accidents or who became disabled due to illness have to pay for assistive technology themselves.

So that’s why the idea that you might be able to add a lot of environmental control for $5000 or under is so attractive to many people with physical limitations, including those who are aging in place. But it has to be reliable.

And of course you have to be able to use the control app. :sunglasses:

An exact need for a tablet version as well!

2 Likes

So Smart Home Monitor… am I missing something here or is it completely half baked? Basically, I want to convert all my monitoring and notifications and individual “smart apps” into the SHM area and manage it all from there, instead of managing each “Thing” with individual notification rules and event triggering. I hated having to add “too hot or too cold” rules to each temp sensor. Smoke detection rules to each smoke detector, and SHM solves this, or at least I thought it would in theory but it’s completely broken!

1. I’ve used Smart Alarm by gecko for 6-8 months (LOVE IT), but I’ve heard rumors that only thing that will run “local” on hub v2.0 is native smartthings apps. So I started to “configure” the Security portion of SHM. Then I noticed that it wouldn’t push notify me on status changes (ie; going from disarmed to armed)… seems like only notifications come on intrusions?! I need to now if my alarm system gets armed (away/stay) or disarmed for whatever reason… I loved that about geko’s Smart Alarm. So that lacking feature was a deal killer. I tried to uninstall it, and my hub froze. I don’t think it ever got successfully uninstalled and now that whole SHM section seems totally fubared.

2. Since I couldn’t uninstall it, I figured I may as well continue to migrate to it. So I use SHM to monitor my smoke detectors instead of the damage and danger portion where I set up the individual alerts on each smoke detector. After uninstalling the individual “smart apps” on each things I tried to remove the "alert by siren’ option in the “smoke monitoring” portion of SHM. You can’t, once you set that option, it appears to stick even after unselecting the Siren device. So again, I try to uninstall it entirely and now I get “Unexpected Error has Occurred” trying to Uninstall any portion of the SHM area. Security, Leaks, Smoke, none of it will “uninstall”. The OCD in me wanted to delete the devices even and start over, but can’t delete the devices until I get them out of SHM, which I can’t do.

3. I can’t find in “routines” where to set the Security mode of the SHM alarm system. Can someone screen cap that on iOS? Seems like it should be easy to locate it but maybe my fubared SHM area is preventing it from displaying?

4. In the IDE section under my location, it says “Alarm System Status: Unconfigured” but it shows as configured in the app (although I can’t uninstall it or use it effectively).

I’m seriously considering a factory reset avenue. No reply from support, but it’s only been 12 hours.

It’s also a holiday in the U.S. Give them some time. They’re buried at the moment due to the issues surrounding the new app launch.

I feel like I am relearning SmartThings all over again! Here’s a few of my thoughts on the new app.

1. I like the new design but like many find the font a bit too light. There is almost too much white space even though I do like the clan look. I especially like being able to organize into rooms and giving each room a custom picture. Both are very nice features. We were used to groups but rooms makes it even easier with the exception of the bathroom light that is manually adjusted for showering/bathing until I come up with a better solution. I’m not fussy about the Family setting for presence sensors since I’m using iBeacons and haven’t bothered trying to set up our iPhones as presence sensors since they never worked properly for that purpose before. The main feature I miss is the search in Marketplace especially when standing in a store looking to see if the device is compatible with SmartThings. All in all, I really do like the new design and hubby is adjusting to it, so kudos.

2. [vent] I am incredibly frustrated with the aftermath of the app update and seriously wondering if pre-ordering my hub was a wise decision given the current headaches. The app was released just before a major holiday so any disruptions became more annoying with holiday plans. Some of my motion sensors are not registering motion at all despite updating as mentioned in another post. Some of my motion sensors are sporadically working. Only two are working fully as they were before. I’m getting notifications for events when I shouldn’t and events not happening. I tried rebuilding my Z-wave network on the IED but that feature just gives blank results so isn’t working. I tried unplugging my hub, rebooting from the IED (nothing happens), removing all groups, taking devices out of rooms to see if they would work AND still nothing. So, it is hard to justify spending more to my hubby when our house that was working nicely before the app update is now just slightly one step up from dumber than a rock! It doesn’t help that the hub pre-order has been charged to the card but no ETA either AND quite frankly if the app update is any indication of the problems to follow setting up the new hub, I know my patience is wearing very thin.[/vent] On that note, I do have a support ticket in. I’m have faith that support will resolve this problem and I know I’m not the only one experiencing problems. The problem here does seem to be mainly with some motion sensors not registering motion. For the time being, I can control switches manually or via the app so I know the switches and bulbs are being recognized by SmartThings.

3. My three requests for the app are: search for Marketplace, search for SmartApps and a bit darker or bolder font.