Installing Alexa (Amazon Echo) Voice Service to Raspberry Pi

Dude! It totally works! The Echo app doesn’t recognize the device as on, but I was able to make the ST link. Created a “All Lights” group on the Echo app and can now say “Turn all lights OFF” and they turn off. Cool. It lacks a lot of the Echo features, but maybe I’ll look into adding skills through the developer website. No idea how to do that and I’m way over my head, but still.

Interestingly, if I say, “Turn off all lights EXCEPT the Den lights,” it turns off only the Den lights. Not sure why it’s skipping the middle part, but neat as hell, nonetheless. Can’t operate door locks, but I know why they did that - no real voice identification for individuals - a security risk.

Also - now I can’t get it to start again and not sure why, but I’ll keep playing. One of these days I’ll just buy an Echo, but this is fun until I get off my wallet.

1 Like

I found this thread after I read this article
Amazon’s Raspberry Pi guide lets coders use Alexa
Has anyone tried this in the UK?
If they have and it works I’ll be having a go today.

here’s the step by step guide Step by step guide

If anyone knows how to make the button virtual let me know.

I have ordered the pi, and will be trying tomorrow, I’m in the UK.

can you update the page if it works for you.

Thanks

Dale

Set it up myself today. Easy enough to run through and get working… But without it always listening it sort of removes the fun and ease of automation.

1 Like

I wonder if someone would think of a way to activate with a press on a minimote…

As long as you can connect the minimote to the RPi, it seems like it would be a short bit of code to change the HIGH/LOW status of the button pins on the board.

I guess the hard part is having the mic hear you, depending on where you are and what mic you’re using.

What I think would be cool is to somehow create a wireless button / bluetooth mic combo. Nerd points if it looks like a Star Trek communicator pin.

That method is WAY more complex than this one:

Button no longer needed.