In-Wall, Two Switch Replacement options

As @Navat604 indicated, you can use the Leviton Vizia device but it comes with some caveats. Here’s a thread where a bunch of us discussed using it.

The long and the short of it is, it works, but isn’t supported directly through SmartThings so you have to tinker a bit. Initial pairing can be a much larger pain than normal Z-wave devices. On the other hand though, it’d serve the exact purpose of what you are describing. They are pricey, but try and remember you have two switches in there so it would be at least double the cost of a single switch (it’s closer to 2.5x).

I myself, have 2 of these devices installed and both work to about 95% of my satisfaction. There is 1 small edge case where turning a switch on locally (with your hand, old school method) turns on the light and the associated LED to indicate it is on. If you then try and turn off through SmartThings, the LED indication light remains on but the actual light (load) turns off as it should. Pressing the button locally again will turn off the LED indication light and NOT turn off the light (load) which is what I’d expect as anything else would cause sync’ing issues. It’s really just a nuisance and I barely notice it anymore. If you plan on pushing the button locally all the time, it might be more annoying to you. Ours mostly control exterior lighting which mostly is automatic.

Unfortunately, this is the only device that I know of that will serve this sort of purpose which was pretty disappointing. Maybe SmartThings will add official support or maybe a new device will come out to accommodate us better.

My personal recommendation, since you’re new to SmartThings, is to get a few of the more traditional switches under your belt before you jump right to one of these to make sure you have some of the process figured out. The last thing you want is to be blaming SmartThings when it’s the device and for that to then turn you off of SmartThings in general.

1 Like