Import Alexa devices to Smatthings

Hi! I want to import Alexa devices to Smartthings to control my devices with Galaxy watch 4. But I have the Alexa account already vinculated to Smatthings but none of the Alexa devices appears on Smart things. I have also smart life vinculated, but all device are showed. How I can solve it?
Thanks

Unfortunately you can’t. Alexa integration is “one-way”. SmartThings devices are added to Alexa and not the other way around.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

1 Like

I too wanted to use SmartThings to control devices that are not supported by SmartThings, yet were supported by Alexa.

It’s a long way around the barn for devices that SmartThings does not support, but it works with Alexa devices that I just want to turn On/Off.

I’m using Alexa Virtual Switches in SmartThings which have Open/Close capability that Alexa Routines can use as a trigger. So when I trigger the Alexa Virtual Switch in SmartThings, then a Alexa Routine triggers the SmartThings unsupported device on Alexa.

Example: I have an SmartThings Alexa Virtual Switch called Air Purifier. I setup SmartThings Routines to turn On (Open) and turn Off (Close) the Alexa Virtual Switch by various triggers. I then have Alexa Routines that when the Air Purifier Alexa Virtual Switch is Open (On) and another one for Closed (Off), to turn On/Off on the Air Purifier.

1 Like

I know you meant this, but just to avoid any confusion…

At the present time, it can’t be just a virtual switch, because Alexa routines don’t currently trigger from switches. Just sensors, locks, and Flic buttons.

It has to be a virtual device which is BOTH A sensor and a switch. When you turn on the switch, the sensor opens, and the sensor opening is what will trigger an Alexa routine.

Fortunately there are several community created devices of this type, so you can just use one of those. There’s even one which is an Edge Driver, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility with the new smartthings platform. :sunglasses:

See the community FAQ for step-by-step instructions:

FAQ: Can I trigger an Echo Action without Speaking to It?

1 Like

This is what I am looking for. I have a wifi double switch that is not compatible with SmartThings. I am trying to make it work following several tutorials but doesnt seem to be what I need. I have an Alexa routine to turn that switch on and off but cant seem to get ST to trigger. I think I am missing a step or something but cant figure out how to trigger the routine with the virtual switch. If you could point me to the right Edge Driver, that would be great.

Did you get a chance to read the FAQ at the link above? It explains all this. And it has a link to the right edge Driver . :thinking:

But the main point is that you can’t trigger an Alexa routine with any switch, virtual or physical. That’s an Amazon decision. Their routines can only be triggered from a sensor or a lock.

So…from the SmartThings side, The solution is to use a virtual device which is BOTH a sensor and a switch. When you turn on the switch, either by voice from Alexa or with a SmartThings routine (not an Alexa routine), in the sensor looks like it opens. When you turn off the switch, the sensor looks like it closed. So it’s easy to control, but you can still trigger an Alexa routine with it. :sunglasses:

Details in the FAQ:

FAQ: Can I trigger an Echo Action without Speaking to It?

The link to the correct edge driver is at the end of the first section of the FAQ, right above the “old information“ section. It’s also in the wiki how to article linked to in the FAQ.

Also, in your case it’s important to understand that your integration will only be one way. You will be able to use smartthings to turn the WiFi switch on and off using this method, but because an Alexa routine cannot be triggered with a switch, you will not be able to use your Wi-Fi switch to trigger anything in SmartThings. I don’t know if that will meet your use case or not.

Thanks, JD!

1 Like