HVAC Condensate Pump Alarm?

I recently had the condensate pump on my AC unit fail and ended up with a bunch of water in my basement. The new pump I put in has 2 wires on it that are meant to hook up to either an alarm or a shutoff for the HVAC system. What device would folks recommend I could attach to those wires and integrate with ST instead? I could be wrong, but that seems more reliable to me than just putting one of the water sensors down and hoping it is in the path of a future water overflow.

This is the pump: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-115-Volt-Condensate-Removal-Pump-CSP010/204480032

those two wires are usually attached to a float switch i believe. I don’t know of any smart float switches, but you may be able to use a z-wave sensor with remote leads.

I’m not looking to replace the switch, just something I can connect to the two leads that will alert me.

ah, in that case and z-wave or zigbee device with dry contacts will work. GoControl made a door sensor that has them, and others like Quibino have dedicated dry contact devices. You may have luck googling “z-wave dry contact sensor”

2 Likes

Assuming the two wires coming out of your condensate pump/resevoir are simply connected to a float-switch (i.e. no power coming from those two wires), you can simply use the following Z-Wave sensor which has screw terminal internally for an external switch input.

Just verify with the vendor, before buying, that the current shipping model still has ‘external contacts’. I am not sure if this feature has been kept or eliminated on newer revisions.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

Post pictures or let us know how this works out. Because this is something I might be interested in doing too.

The Ecolink sensor is great. I use it for other applications where I connect to the ports. However, it will not give you battery status information. You need to test it periodically to make sure it still works and is not out of battery. Mine usually lasts about 9-12 month…

How about using a water sensor like this? I use it for my sump pit - yes that is bigger but may work for you, too.

1 Like

I just got a mail: Arotec has a new device with external ports. This may have battery reporting. It’s a bit more expensive though:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDDX3K6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref=myi_title_dp&linkCode=sl1&tag=sso0e-20&linkId=07857678651265399caadcb6acea6466&language=en_US

I got the Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 and it certainly does have spots for wires, so that’s good! The holes in the case are too small for the wires on my condensate pump, so I just drilled them larger into a slot to fit.

However, I’m not sure how to change the parameters to detect the wires as opposed to the magnet sensor. According to their website, I need to change Parameter 1, but I have no idea how to do that. Any tips?

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000223859

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it also appears to be showing battery level, so that’s another plus!

can see if Aeotec has a smartthings handler with that setting or use this [BETA] Z-Wave Tweaker

Couldn’t find a specific handler designed to allow those changes, but the Z-Wake Tweaker you posted let me change the parameter. Seems to be working now. Thanks everyone for all the help!

3 Likes

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.