Hue bulb without Hue Bridge?

You should have the full range available. The colors just should be inconsistent with what you pick in the color picker and in the names/background color of the main tile.

These still use the same 0-255 for available hue and saturation values, but they mean different things with the wider gamut. Some posts above I linked to the CIE chart with the gamut triangles to give you an idea of what’s different.

It’s possible we could get more granular color selection with either RGB values or XY coordinates, but we don’t have a good way of selecting those values from the available color picker UI.

1 Like

Any idea if the Bloom lights work directly with the device type you created?

Also, just to be clear since I haven’t gotten any bulbs yet - all I have to do is add the device type in the IDE before I pair it, correct?

I believe Bloom lights are RGB only, so they won’t work with any of the white color temp portions. You’d probably be better off with the Lightify Gardenspot devicetype. There’s an official version, but I have an updated version of it in my Lihtify repository on Github.

That should be all, but you may have to manually assign the devicetype to the device if it doesn’t automatically select the custom one. You can do that from the My Devices tab of the IDE. Click the device, then edit and you should see a drop down for devicetype.

At the moment, I have gotten the hue bulbs that are sold individually to connect automatically to my ST hub. I am able to control the color and intensity NO PROBLEM.

The issue is I have a hue bulb combo pack that came bundled with the HUE hub. The hue bulbs are not connecting to the ST hub. I do not want to have latency issues from ST Hub -> Hue Hub -> Hue. Is there a way to connect those bulbs from the combo pack with ST? I do not care about unpairing issues. Read through the thread and didn’t see a solution.

Thank you!

Those bulbs came pre-connected to the bundled Hue Hub. You’ll have to reset them before they can join ST. The reset procedure for hue bulbs must be done by a controller like the Hue Hub. Somewhere in the Hue documentation you should be able to find the procedure.

Another option is the Lutron Connected Bulb remote at Home Depot that can reset Hue bulbs.

Note: if you fire up the Hue Hub to do the reset, you may want to physically turn off your other ST connected Hue bulbs while you do it. Zigbee Light Link networks like Hue can “steal” bulbs from other networks. I don’t think it should happen automatically, but could save you some hassle to shut them off.

2 Likes

Yeah the bulbs that come with the Hue Hub are linked with ZigBee LL and cannot be paired directly with SmartThings unless factory reset. Annoying you cannot just reset the bulbs by powering them on and off a few times like most other ZigBee bulbs…

This is not the case for additional bulbs you buy though.

I bought a remote on eBay for £12, as described in this thread:

Good luck

2 Likes

Just unpaired them from the hub, and it seems like this is not enough? Still need the factory reset, which would require a remote? NUTS.

You can’t factory reset from the hue hub eh? That’s just… super convenient…

Cheers,

I highly recommend the Lutron Connected Bulb remote for that purpose. It can factory reset bulbs on any zigbee channel, which not all remotes can.

It’s possible for your ST hub to use a zigbee channel that isn’t part of the Zigbee Light Link subset because Zigbee HA (the profile ST uses) has a broader channel selection. Without a remote that can access all the channels, you might not be able to reset them from the ST network if you ever upgrade or change hubs. Might as well get the more flexible remote now if you’re going to reset bulbs.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with the other features of the Hue bulb, and I’ve updated the deviceType in a new branch on GitHub (enhanced features branch) adding a bunch of stuff that zigbee does natively in ZLL and providing greater flexibility. The additional custom commands can be called from custom SmartApps. I plan to create enhanced versions of other zigbee bulbs and a set of SmartApps to take advantage of the new features, so please let me know what you want to see.

See new thread for device here:

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I just brought a white hue bulb. I tried to link it direct to my ST but can’t get it to work. From what I see here no matter if the bulb is new, I still need the remote to get it working?

Look around the forums for the correct device type handler, don’t know the correct one off the top of my head but it does exist!

I even started my own topic, but was redirect here by JDRoberts… I can’t seem to find what I need to get this working. From what I understand is that the bulb comes from factory to certain channel and needs to be reset to work with ST. But I’m not sure if this is only with bulbs that was already connected to hue hub, or if applies to new bulbs too.

Hi everyone!

Leandroestacio, I’m exactly as the same stage as you. Just bought smartthings hub and trying to setup the hue white bulb.

Currently looking for a device handler that might work…!

did you guys try this one?

1 Like

The Phillips hue bulbs originally use the ZLL (Zigbee light link) profile. They use this profile to communicate with the Hue bridge, which in turn can communicate with a SmartThings hub over the local area network. In this setup the hub does not speak directly to the bulbs. This is the only setup which is officially supported by SmartThings.

Most brands of zigbee bulbs can be individually reset through a “blink method” where you power the bulb on and off in a specific pattern, and then it will reset itself. Phillips chose not to offer that for their smart bulbs, perhaps because they were concerned about children playing with the light switch and accidentally resetting a bulb to factory specifications.

SmartThings does not use the ZLL profile. Instead, it uses the ZHA ( zigbee home automation) profile. Most ZLL devices, including the hue bulbs, can be paired to a ZHA coordinator like SmartThings and will then use the ZHA profile instead.

The problem comes when you decide you want to take that Hue Bulb off the SmartThings network and move it to a different one. Or reattach it to a hue bridge.

Because the hue bulbs cannot be individually reset on their own, you can end up with a situation where there is no way to move the bulb off of SmartThings without buying an additional device. (In the US, this is most commonly a Lutron connected bulb remote, $30 at Home Depot. Although it’s a different brand, it just happens to use exactly the right commands to reset A ZHA bulb.)

So this is why SmartThings support only recommends using the Hue bridge. Otherwise customers could end up with a bulb that they cannot move back from the SmartThings hub to a Phillips bridge, and Phillips would tell them that it was smartthings’ fault. :wink:

But as long as you’re willing to buy the additional device if you do want to move bulbs off of smartthings again, it will work fine. As long as you have selected an appropriate device handler.

We’ll pause briefly here so that those who have not previously worked with custom device handlers in SmartThings can read the following FAQ and catch up:

So, the officially supported way to use Hue bulbs with SmartThings is to have those bulbs controlled by a hue bridge. You then add that bridge to smartthings, and the setup wizard for it will automatically add device handlers for the individual bulbs that the bridge tells SmartThings about. Which means the official device handler for Hue bulbs assumes that there is also a Hue bridge in the picture.

If you want to add a Hue bulb directly to the SmartThings hub without a Hue bridge, you can, but you will need to use a different device handler, which recognizes that the bulb is not attached to a bridge. It is likely that there will be different ones for RGBW bulbs and plain white bulbs.

It’s possible you could just use a generic zigbee dimmer device handler type, I don’t know if anything extra is needed.

@Sticks18 or one of the other people who have written multiple Bulb device handlers should be able to point you to an appropriate one for a hue white bulb connected directly to the smartthings hub without a Hue bridge. :sunglasses:

10 Likes

I cant thank you enough for the time and effort you put into this well explained post. I’m still not able to find a handler for my white bulb, but I’m going to do some more digging to see if I can find anything that might make it work. @JDRoberts once again, Thank you very much for your help.

1 Like

I cant thank you enough, all of you. @dshokouhi @JDRoberts @Sticks18 you guys deserve all the best. The handler @dshokouhi linked made my light work without the hue hub. Thank you again for all the help.

2 Likes

Does the feature to change colors with Music work with Smarthings and Hue lights without the Hue Bridge?

I just got my first Philips Hue light; one of the Friends of Hue: Iris fixtures.
I don’t have a hub/bridge yet (it’s just connected directly; and I know about the reset needing a remote, etc), and I have some related questions…

• Is there both a Hub and a Bridge, or are these just two words for the same thing?

• Which Gen Hub?
    I could buy a Gen1 hub from a guy I know for cheap. Why or why not to buy it?

• Wimpy Purple?
    Has anyone else noticed that purple is so wimpy on these things, or did I get a dud?

• ST Mobile App Doesn’t Save Last State
    Every time I go away fro this device in the ST mobile app, and come back, at least two of the settings for the device in the app change. First off, with it connected directly to ST (no hub/bridge), in the ST Mobile App there are 4 things I can adjust…

1. On/Off
  2. Brightness
  3. Color Hue
  4. Color Saturation

When I leave and come back, it appears as though the ST mobile app saves the state of the first two settings, but not the other two. So, if I want to adjust the other two, I need to change them to something else first, and then change it back to what I had it set to previously and make adjustments from there.

Is this just because of the fact that I have it connected directly to ST, and is this accounted for and taken care of while using them with an actual Hue hub/bridge?

Continuing the discussion from Hue Iris Bulbs on clearance at HD:

I had the same question, and found the following comments from @JDRoberts from earlier in this thread very helpful…