Hub Firmware Release Notes - 17.12/17.13/17.14

With all do respect, it would’ve been nice to know this before the update. So that we’re not going around the house popping batteries in and out. Did ST maybe talk about the possibility of having a bunch of sensors with red “device unavailable” triangles after the update?

Something really odd going on here as well after the firmware update. I open the ST app (iOS) and everything looks fine, all sensors online and working. Then I tap into any of the ST-branded sensors and navigate to the ‘Recently’ tab. Scrolling down I can see two events from several hours ago indicating the device went offline and then online just a few secs after (this is the case for every ST sensor on my hub). Then I navigate back to the sensor list screen and that sensor suddenly appears with the red triangle as unavailable! I can repeat these steps with any other ST sensor with the same result. Now, closing and reopening the app (or just sending it to background and back to foreground) sort of ‘refreshes’ the screen and all the devices are shown as online again. Doing the pull-to-refresh gesture does not fix this though.

What the hell is going on?

All of these posts are from that last couple hours. ST doesn’t care. They just need to get this update out the door so they can meet some arbitrary deadline. What happens to you or how it impacts your experience doesn’t matter to them. If it did matter they would be handling this differently.

I’d like to take this moment to report my main concern with this.

Popping the batteries out of the Things (I’m withholding the Smart until it’s all working again) sensors is a total pain. Sometimes literally!

This is directly at Eric/whoismoses:

If I didn’t care, would I have gotten barely 3 hours of sleep last night because I’m trying to do right by people having problems, helping individuals in the community here and wherever I can? Would I have taken my Saturdays and Sundays to write detailed communications for the community because I truly believe in being open and transparent. Do you honestly think that that everything we do is somehow to spite our customers, for who knows what reason?

I’ve bitten my tongue enough times, troll. Go troll somewhere else. You are bringing down the otherwise extremely high quality of communications happening in this forum.

29 Likes

Quick followup - I in no way meant my reply to mean that people shouldn’t post issues here. This forum has been a key way for us to “close the loop” between the numbers and text I see on the screen and the people using our product. I would like to thank everyone who has reported an issue here or through support, and thank everyone who is helping out their fellow community members by linking other discussions to this one or otherwise providing help. You guys really do rock!

9 Likes

Thanks Nick,

I think sometimes people have very high expectations and just expect all home automation products to just function without issue. I think it is very unrealistic for people to think that way.

Firstly if you want something to be 100% reliable then it more than often has to be wired and not wireless.

I mean if you think about what is being done here and the forces in play it is a wonder that most of it works at all most of the time. Wireless monitoring and status for hundreds of hardware products on multiple protocols across multiple manufacturers and Smatthings looks to integrate them all in one place. Tough job!!

A cloud managed platform that sits in AWS and is at the mercy of your internet connection/router/ISP/routing/AWS cloud outages etc.

Lets be real guys we are never going to get a 100% reliable infrastructure with the complexity stated above and there will always be issues. We really need to stop bashing the support guys here with ridiculous statements like “Sort it Out” and “Unacceptable”. People need to be realistic and set their expectations accordingly.

My personal view from having worked in the IT industry and as an Architect for over 25 years is if your looking for complete reliability and a 100% solid platform then open source is not the way to go as there is too many variables as stated above that come into play, but if you dont go open source and you allow creativity and integration (Like Smartthings does) then you really cant moan about it not being 100% reliable. Thats just unfair. Accept it for what it is which is a crazy good but very configurable platform trying very hard to integrate from allover the ecosphere and doing a pretty good job of it in my opinion.

I thank all the support team and appreciate the hard work.

I do however have some constructive feedback in terms of upgrades and firmware rollouts. I do think you should give people the right to defer upgrades/firmware and choose for these to be installed at a time that is convenient to allow for people who have complex setups to factor in the inevitable remediation time they will need to spend following an upgrade. You should look to investigate and give users that choice.

Thanks again guys.

Lee

6 Likes

Absolutely, 100%, unequivocally agree. Same with a migration tool. And I am thankful that people are posting their requests for such tools here because my job of demonstrating customer need when I bring these issues to management is about a million times easier! :smile:

8 Likes

@whoismoses please don’t quote me out of context. My comment was tongue in cheek and I have no plans of followin through on any compensation for loss of physical activity.

After updating yesterday to 17.12 (required manual restarting but was OK) my hub just went offline again today for about 5 mins - solid blue - but has now gone online again. Is that normal ?

Mine also just did it. I’m not even home (no one is) and I got disconnected notification and I have “HubUpdated” event in logs now.

I immediately connected to my VPN at home and my internet connection was fine and my firewall was reporting the hub IP as online.

Same here UK Hub offline today for 7 mins at 14:21 hrs with solid blue LED, Back up at 14:28 hrs.

Mine (which had updated yesterday) just went offline and then online a few minutes later on its own. And for now about half my sensors are still flagged as offline…

To point to the Migration tool request:

If my thinking is corre coorect, ST user accounts are equivelent to the Roaming profiles for workstations.
In that case, why not just capture the states for all the connected devices to the location hub and in the worst case senerio when the hub fries or bricks; the user will just log in to the new hub with the SSO creds and all the device(s) info will be deployed to the new hub. It is in line with what other companies are doing. This way, the end user does not need to think or do much. You already have the basic info for each account from our IDE’s, so it is just logical to run a script to survay all of the existing custommers’ hubs and any newbs.

Nothing to worry about in this case. I just checked with my coworker on the cloud team and they were reporting a database spike during some maintenance that caused some hubs to drop for a short period. Bad timing though… sorry for the scare.

1 Like

Same here. Half my stuff said unavailable so I toggled off the health monitoring and I could still control them so no idea why they’d report as unavailable with health monitoring on.

Another request for scheduling the update, even if it’s just something at simple as picking a time in the next 24 hours. I have about 16 out of 24 hours in a day that are convenient to run a hub update, while either nobody is home or everyone is asleep. My hub just went offline at pretty much the most inconvenient time possible, right around the time people are waking up and getting ready and lots of “wake up” automations should be running.

Hey, Nick…or @Aaron I was updated yesterday…And everything seemed to have gone well. However, this morning, my hub rebooted on its own. Is there anyway I can determine what caused the reboot? I can confirm that it was not a power hiccup on my end.

Seems I have exactly the same issue while I was away from home my hub was disconnected from internet I checked my internet router but seems there was no disconnection with ISP

I get my update today. Cross your fingers for me everyone. I won’t be home of course so if something does go wrong I won’t be here to help diagnose or reboot.

Really holding my breath on this one.