How to pair AONE KINETIC WALL CONTROLLER?

Hi

Are there any instructions on how to pair the smart things hub with an aone kinetic wall controller (Aurora product), not having much joy with it at the moment. The box and the website say they are compatible but Aurora only gives instructions for setting up from the Aurora app not the smart things.

Thanks

Dean

Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure that one is not going to work with smartthings. Like other kinetic switches, it is using zigbee green power clusters, and smartthings currently does not support those. The Hue Tap switch has the same issue. :disappointed_relieved:

So I think you’ve run into the first rule of home automation: “the model number matters.“ Many of the Aurora AOne model line do work with smartthings, but green power models probably don’t.

I’d be glad to hear that I’m wrong on this, but that was true last time I checked, which was last month.

@AndyPrice-Aurora

1 Like

Ok, found the comment from a company representative last year:

If the box for that specific product did say it was compatible with smartthings, then either something has changed or that’s an error that the company needs to be made aware of.

Thank you for all the replies. I was hoping this wasn’t the case having seen some of the older forum replies!

Just checking the smart things hub box which says ‘zigbee’ on it. But I guess it needs the ‘green power’ bit too. The annoying things Is I’m an electrician and I asked my wholesalers to discuss what I needed and that they had to be compatible with smart things and this lot was sent from Aurora on that basis. Just wired a load of down lights but now no switches for them.

Always glad to see more electricians in the community! (I am a network engineer, but definitely not an electrician. :wink:)

And, Yeah, unfortunately just “zigbee“ isn’t enough. See the following FAQ (the topic title is a clickable link)

I believe the other Aurora switches Will work, but of course those are mains powered. :thinking:

There are some other battery powered options from other brands that will work with smartthings, but the risk there is that if the home automation system isn’t working, you’re back to no switches, and it’s my understanding that that doesn’t meet UK safety code, that there has to be at least one switch in the room that will work without the system. But I may be wrong on that.

( under US safety code, you can make the whole house automated with no switches at all in most locations, except for the attic which has a special switch requirement in most jurisdictions. But there are very different rules from region to region.)

1 Like

Thanks for all the info, looks like it’s all going back and will have to rethink things, luckily it’s in my own home and not a customers!

2 Likes

What is your use case? How do you want to control lights and what lights exactly?

Those kinetic switches are basically remotes and not control relays. Do you need a remote or a relay (switch)?

I am just asking, because you wrote this:

1 Like

Given that the OP has just installed a bunch of smart lamps, a relay is probably not going to be suitable since it would cut power to the lamps. So a battery powered or battery free switch is probably going to be the best choice if it meets local safety codes.

That’s my point, I haven’t seen mentioned smart lamps. Maybe my misunderstanding…

Otherwise, I would use the Hue remote. They have nice cases to cover actual switches. Or the new Hue module, if it is compatible with ST. That runs from battery and can be connected to a non-powered real switch.

Otherwise, I use a Sonoff ZBMINI in one place as a switch. It is mirrored to a smart bulb. And the bulbs is powered always.

1 Like