How to change the Route of a device?

Havent found any posts regarding this issue here.

Several of my devices made strange routes connections, which I would like to change again. The below given examples shows a route from B to D to C to A. While A and B are only 4 metres apart and D is outside and C is on another level of the house.
Despite the fact, that I do not understand, how this was established - I really would like to sharpen the connection.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-24 um 14.26.18

How can I change this within my IDE?

Thanks in advance

Oh, because: it’s not working reliably anymore. The first named device lost the connection.

Are you talking about the zwave repeaters? If so, unplug them all, then plug in A wait a while plug in B… then C. If you are dealing with Xiaomi/ Aqara devices you’ll have to attached that device then look at the logging to see when its stops updating every few mins before adding the other repeaters. Think its in the 3-4 hour range

There is also a known bug where z wave devices are mapped in reverse.

1 Like

Losing connection is a whole separate issue, and as was mentioned right now the map that you see is not accurate. But I also wanted to add something I wrote in another thread last week:

As far as “stupid stuff” in the routing, that’s the standard Z wave algorithm, and I would tend to trust it. It’s not about what looks sensible to a human. It’s what works well for the network when the routes are discovered. There’s some balancing that goes on, there are issues of signal strength, there’s a certain amount of randomness just to provide more balancing. It may look like somebody dropped a box of ping pong balls from the ceiling, but that’s OK as long as the QOS is high enough. So unless you are having specific problems with an individual device, I wouldn’t worry about whatever mesh Zwave is setting up for itself. It’s not supposed to look like a human did it.

The whole point of having a mesh protocol like Z wave or Zigbee is so that humans don’t have to get involved. You don’t want to try “cleaning it up“ as you are quite likely to unbalance traffic somewhere. Better to just let the network create its own routes.

That said, obviously when you have a case like yours where a device isn’t working, you may want to take a look at specifics to see if you can identify the problem. I just wanted to say that long-term, don’t worry if the mesh routing looks goofy as long as everything else is working well, it’s probably taking into account factors that you are not aware of to achieve traffic balancing. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have even found that in my home, Leviton devices seem to prefer to route through another Leviton device, even if there are several Aeotec or GE devices that make a shorter path to ST hub. I have one Leviton dimmer out in the shop, 40’ from the back of the house, with two repeater devices closer to it in the back corner of the house, but the shop Leviton dimmer hops through another Leviton dimmer that is another 40’ farther away in the garage in front of the house, then back through other devices to reach the ST hub in the middle of the house. I have some bizarre routes in some of the devices in IDE.

I knew my thread was going to come up in here!

I’ve learned to stop worrying and love the weird routing.

Except I’d like to do something to one particular device that is slow to respond.

1 Like

Thanks all,
it seems, I have to accept this and will not search any (human) logic in it.

I’ll try to reconnect my missing device B by disconnecting the repeater plugs C and D (from osram/lightify) for several hours. Hope, this will fix the issue.

Just to complete the impression of a strange mesh, accept my attempt in children-drawing-style:

1 Like

This one looks exactly like one of mine. ^

First rule of home automation: “the model number matters.”

In the case of zigbee, unlike Z wave, each zigbee device will choose a “parent” repeater And then will send all of its messages through that parent.

The problem is that it is up to each individual manufacturer to decide how many, if any, children one of their devices will accept. For most inexpensive home automation mains-powered devices this is around five, but it can be as low as three and it is rarely more than seven. Sometimes, such as with Sengled bulbs, it’s even zero. For smartthings hubs, the number of children directly attached to the hub is 32 for the first generation and 64 for the newer ones.

There are people who bought a bunch of Sengled bulbs, didn’t have any other Zigbee repeaters, and found that they couldn’t add them all to their network because the hub had run out of child slots.

All of which is to say depending on your total network layout, you may not be able to force a zigbee device to use the hub as its parent.

Also, I’m confused about what your devices actually are. Osram only makes Zigbee devices, which is why I just went into this whole discussion. But most of the other posts in this thread have been talking about Z wave devices.

Zigbee repeats only for zigbee and zwave repeats only for zwave.

So what’s the specific brand and model of the device which is not functioning well?

Dear @JDRoberts, thanks again for your time and assistance.

The device which lost the connection to my v3 Hub (A) four days ago is a Philips Hue Motion Sensor (B). Which was added into Smartthings with the help of a custom devicehandler. It is -on purpose- not connected to my Philips Hue Hub and, yes, it is a Zigbee Device.
Battery level was at 67% and this devices is (was) used by -all in all- five applications via the SamsungHub. Google, ActionTiles, IFTTT, webCore and a smartapp called “speaker companion”. Not sure though, if this is relevant.

And you’re right: Repeater C and D are also Zigbee Devices: Osram Smart+ Plugs. And not connected to the Philips Hub- which is possible.

If the MotionSensor will not come up until tomorrow, I will delete it within the IDE and add it again.

In total 84 devices are registered to my v3 Hub. Should not touch the limit.

These are some stats of the disconneted MotionSensor.