SmartThings Community

Holy Moly - has SmartThings come a long way

(Pizzinini) #3

Sorry, I have bad news for the developer… someone has done most of the work for you already :wink:

(Pizzinini) #4

I also recommend you read this:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki

(Gerry) #5

Thanks…I’ll have a look. It’s interesting when things are a few years old…you end up reading useless old outdated info half the time.

(Gerry) #6

Excellent. I’m getting lazy in my old age LOL

(Pizzinini) #7

If you have an Amazon Echo you may want to search the forum for “Ask Alexa” and “Echosistant”. If you have a Nest thermostat search for “NST Manager” and if you use Smartthings on an iOS device, look for “Homebridge”… just to name a few to give you some ideas. There are lots of other really good apps.

(Pizzinini) #8

And yes, there is a getting started tutorial, too…

(Pizzinini) #9

Welcome! :sunglasses:

You’ve gotten some great pointers already, so I’ll just call out 4resources you might find of interest.

1. Welcome letter for those with a strong technical background:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Welcome_FAQ

1. Brief FAQ on using custom code in SmartThings, including the terminology used:

The process is pretty straightforward, basically you copy the author’s code and paste it into your own account,

1. So now where do you find the code to copy? There’s a lot of great stuff in the forums, but to be honest, the search sucks. :disappointed_relieved: So check out the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki. That includes both code and project reports.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

1. And finally, while you should find the project reports inspiring and interesting, and the Device Type handlers useful, here’s the reason why you may not need much if any of the custom code for smartapps anymore: webcore is essentially a scripting language for SmartThings. Very powerful, and has done most of the heavy lifting for you. Great for stacked conditionals “If This, then that–unless…”

Have fun! :sunglasses:

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #11

Welcome back! (And please give ActionTiles a try as the popular web browser based dashboard building app… www.actiontiles.com).

Also, if you want to jump straight to setting up scenes before you get too far down the rabbit hole of the other resources, see the intro to scheduling :sunglasses:. (The screenshots are a little out of date, but the information is still good.)

(Gerry) #13

Wow @JDRoberts thanks for all the info. I’ll start reading. Hey can you steer me to the best Honeywell Vista Alarm panel integration? I’ll be using the EVL-3 for now (since I have that).

I think this one here sounds like the one to use, but wanted to check ([RELEASE] Honeywell / Ademco Vista 20P Integration) Looks like @redloro is the author.

sorry, I’m not familiar with the specifics on that integration. I’d just suggest checking the “security” quick browse list in the project reports section in the community – created wiki and seeing what’s there. Once you get into one of the Vista threads, you should be able to find people using different code and get their opinions. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

(Gerry) #15

BTW. When I “reply”, I would have thought it would have included the thing I’m replying too. What’s the deal on this platform? I see you are doing it, but wasn’t sure how. Is it the “Quote Whole Post” icon that does that?

Thanks.

(David Hamilton) #17

Check this out for tying in your alarm accessories to ST.

(Gerry) #18

Thanks! I did see that one, but the Honeywell panel is so reliable, I think I’ll leave it in place and just “monitor” what it’s doing via ST somehow.

(Gerry) #19

Just tried it. Thats more like it!

(Gerry) #20

My Hub arrived today (to Canada and didn’t even have to pay customs or tax)! Guess I’ll have to figure out how to use it now!

This is an understatement!

(Martin P) #22

I like what @redloro did. I have his nodeproxy running on a raspberry pi (recommend hardwire network connection for better reliability) which gets events from the envisalink.

Will also make a plug for actiontiles as another interface for statuses and cams. Exploring webcore but treading cautiously.

would be interesting to see what you’ve learned in 7 months!