Have smart bulbs won the battle over smart switches?

I have all enclosed fixtures in my house so the smart bulbs are not really an option. I tried using regular LED bulbs and they blow out in a few weeks due to the heat (I’m assuming).

I’m buying some switches for the bedrooms and hallways to hopefully make up for this. Using HUE bulbs in the lamps, where available.

There are a number of dumb LEDs which are made for fully enclosed fixtures. Cree has several models you should be able to get it any Home Depot. Phillips and Feit both have models as well, although you may have to look harder to find those.

Home Depot often has the Cree on sale:

As far as smart bulbs that can go in fully enclosed fixtures, there are one or two. I think eco-smart has one but I’d have to check to be sure. And Cree and has them in their Cree connected line.

Cree has done a lot on heat management and holds a couple of patents in this area.

Ideal for use in table lamps, sconces, totally enclosed fixtures and other general lighting applications

1 Like

I have 10 of the Cree connected bulbs. None are in enclosed fixtures but I do have 2 in recesses cans base up. They have been in service in my kitchen several hours a day for over a year. So far, they are so good. In fact of the 10 I have had one bulb fail. Cree replaced the blub without question within a week.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the reply. Was really disappointed when I also found out my switches have no neutral wire!

Was able to find a few bulbs rated for enclosed fixtures made by fiet… hopefully they last more than a few weeks as they were quite expensive and did not quality for the save on energy rebate.

1 Like

I started out with zwave switches but I was limited in where I could use them because my house had no neutrals. I started adding hue bulbs and the hue battery powered dimmer switches. They are ok but less than desirable. I had to buy plastic covers for my existing switches so people didn’t accidentally turn them off, and I ended up with an extra set of battery powered switches stuck on the wall beside them. Looks very ugly. Plus I use bigtalker to have my computer announce certain things and with hue bulbs the delay has grown to a minute or more. I’ll turn a switch on and bigtalker will announce it 90 seconds later. Pretty much have to disable it for any hue items.

Then I discovered lutron caseta. No neutrals required and they now integrate fully with smartthings. Response time seems just as good as zwave. Anyone else with the no neutral issue needs to look at these. I just wish I hadn’t drilled holes in the walls to mount those hue light switches because I’d get rid of them otherwise.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this!

I have no neutrals throughout my home and smart bulbs have been an imperfect lifesaver.

Now I will seriously consider Caseta. So glad to hear in integrates well! :smile:

I use the Caseta switches even in places where I do have a neutral and really like them. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m also a big fan of the caseta integration since I have no neutrals. It’s hard to believe it’s a cloud-to-cloud integration.

2 Likes

i use both bulbs and switches depending on the cost to achieve what i want. I’ve got a 5 bulb track light where one switch would do the job vs 5 smart bulbs. also have lots of single bulb fixtures connected to a single dumb switch that i would like individual control. so i’m glad both techs exist

2 Likes

For me, switches made much more sense. I tried Hue and LIFX bulbs in various fixtures around the house and the one conclusion we couldn’t escape was, that if the fixture was controlled by a switch, inevitably that switch would get flipped off at some point rendering the “Smart” bulb powerless. The SAF was really low at this point because it was confusing as to which switches needed to stay in the “on” position. You are also forced to either schedule the light in some way or use the app to turn it on/off, not convenient. With a switch, you have the ability to manually turn it on/off with out breaking a schedule that may be attached to the light. I thought I would miss the color changing ability, but found I didn’t use it that much anyway.

This was a very big problem when smart bulbs were first introduced. There now are a number of different ways to address this so that you can still have a switch at the wall where you expect one, but it won’t Cut the current to the bulb.

It may still be less expensive to use a smart switch and dumb bulbs, but for places where you really would like the color capability, including warm white to cool white, there are many more options available now in 2017 then there were one or two years ago. :sunglasses:

See the FAQ for detailed discussion

1 Like

I had previously tried the Hue dimmer switch, which I thought was going to be great. But it ended up being very unreliable and would frequently disconnect from Hue, all it took was a few times and that was it for the wife. The other annoying part with the Hue dimmer was that it was too big to fit into a wall plate, very poor design on their part. No matter what I did, I could never get Hue to be reliable.
I’m almost done retro fitting all of my switches to Lutron Caseta, it has been extremely reliable and I get Homekit and Smartthings as well. :grinning: I’ve been using these Philips “Warm Glow” bulbs on the switches that change from 2700k to 2200k when dimming, they look really nice.

2 Likes

Or, what’s behind door #3

3 Likes

Yup! Between talking to Alexa and having a couple of motion sensors in spots, my path is always lit as I move around the house.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but I just can’t get into voice control. It feels slower to me, we’ll see with more products coming out. What I really want is AI to predict what I want, what I’m thinking. It would need to take in all the sensory data and then learn when I turn on lights and then have it ready for me based on certain criteria. Then I won’t have to do anything, except merely exist. This is probably a little ways off, but I could see it happening with enough sensor data.
I’ve tried building scenarios where it takes ambient light levels and then triggers lighting, but it never seems to do it consistently, or the sensor misreads the levels or doesn’t report. And also, the more complicated the routine for the light, the less the wife likes it.

Choice is good. :sunglasses: Different things work for different households.

Slower than waiting for a scheduled event to occur?
Or slower than picking up your phone/tablet, launching the ST app, waiting for it to load everything and then having to select one or more screen controls?

Maybe I’m slower, lol. I always forget how something is named which when I ask Siri, she’ll frequently come back and say something like she doesn’t know what “Master” is in Master Bedroom lights, even though that’s the name. I’ve not tried Alexa. Maybe the new Homepod will be better.

Well then, try a voice recognition system that works and your opinion is likely to change.

From all accounts the HomePod’s Siri is the same as your phone’s Siri, save for better microphones. So if she’s already understanding what you’re saying and simply not knowing what to do with it then you’re likely to receive some disappointment for your $350. On the other hand, it’s already well-demonstrated that a $50 Dot will do the job admirably.

3 Likes

Show me a color tunable switch and then we’ll talk :grin:

2 Likes