Harmony Home Control

Trust me they aint doing anything to fix this. They released a new firmware last week and it still hasn’t been fixed.

@Ben @April

Whats the status of this Harmony issues? I mean it hasn’t worked since Nov for new users trying to integrate it with their ST’s . Think its about time to either get it resolved or remove it from your “Works with SmartThings” list:

1 Like

Is there anyway to downgrade the hub/remote firmware to one that works with ST?

I don’t think there is a way, but you would have to contact Logitech support for that one…

Hey guys,

Since this seems to be the thread… remember when the Harmony Home Control came out and Logitech mentioned that there will be a (paid) firmware update for those of us who bought the “Smart Control” product to allow us to use some of the Home Control features? Is there any news on this? I hope it’s out and I missed it…

Thanks

Not out yet. I gave up and sold my smart control on eBay and bought s home control unit.

I would doubt it. The firmware updates every time you sync if it isn’t current so a downgrade would upgrade on the next sync. But @Mbhforum is correct you really need to contact Harmony Support for this one. If you do and they tell you a way please share.

From what I’ve read those who added Harmony to ST before it broke still have it showing up even with the new firmwares (even though parts are still broken requiring a virtual switch?) Therefore if you could flash an old firmware just to get the cloud-cloud pairing done it shouldn’t matter if it upgrades at the next sync. Could this at least provide limited functionality?

I am getting this error now when trying to update my Harmony config

physicalgraph.exception.UncheckedException: com.netflix.astyanax.connectionpool.exceptions.BadRequestException: BadRequestException: [host=54.83.172.96(54.83.172.96):9160, latency=3(3), attempts=1]InvalidRequestException(why:(String didn’t validate.) [smartthings_prod][DeviceData][port] failed validation) @ line 157

com.netflix? What is going on here?

I’m new to the programming side of this whole smart home thing. I’ve been installing Savant systems for years now but the Programming side has always been done by someone else. I’m the hardware guy.

Savant cost thousands of dollars so I decided to search for a cheaper alternative for my own home. I decided on the Harmony home hub. So far it’s great.

The only thing is I thought I’d be able to do lighting too but it turns out you need an extra device to do it. I found out about smartthings from TWiT.tv

My question is how hard is it to set up lighting controls through the harmony using smart things? I was looking at the GE link bulbs. Do I need yet another hub to control those bulbs?

Smartthings really has me confused as to how it’s set up. Do I need to be a programmer to use it?

They’re using code originally written by NetFlix

You’re seeing a namespace identifier, not a network identifier. It’s very common practice to use an entity’s DNS name in reverse order as the root as this should guarantee uniqueness, even across very large code bases which frequently include code originating from multiple organisations.

Shortly after I posted this I figured it out that this was a cassandra client. Still, the question remains, what is going on with this. The logitech folks said they were aware of the issue over a month ago. This seems like an issue with the harmony connect app. What needs to be done to fix it?

The entire things is a joke I have been in contact with the people at logitech and they have no clue and with each firmware update I find I have to redo all of my activities with smart things actions… I am about to just give up and toss the thing into the fireplace… lame.

Netflix is jus supplying a package of code that either Harmony or ST are using.

Netflix, Google, Facebook etc all share a lot of code that is used by other apps.

When I submitted my support ticket to ST support I received a reply that it was a known issue that would be fixed in a few weeks and they would get back to me when it was fixed. I have heard nothing since…

It’s on of the most annoying things about modern software that requires you to update to continue using the product. When they mess up you can’t do anything about it. Playstation, ST, Harmony, etc…

I wish ST would be more upfront about their communication with Harmony and what the current status of this is. Support told me they were in communication with Harmony but if that were the case shouldn’t we have some status at least by now. The Harmony remote sells with 'works with Smart Things Hub as one of it’s selling points. Perhaps we should start a class action here ?

I receive emails from them several times week, “Try this”, “try that”, nothing ever works, and every time they update the firmware I have to keep redoing my activities. So annoying… They need to be careful or I can smell some class action issues happening…

From Logitech’s perspective, their integration is working with ST. I use it everyday and it works perfect. I am not defending them since they released firmware that broke the ST -> Logitech integration, however keep in mind, the integration that is broken is considered “Labs” aka Beta on the ST side of things. ST should be the one driving the fix and communicating to us since their part is the broken one.

Everytime Logitech does a firmware update though it breaks any activities associates with smart things for me, the entire thing just seems like a mess.

That’s a different story and Logitech needs to fix that. I haven’t had that issue. I am just using virtual switches on and off when I start and end an activity.

If you ask me. It seems like the people working on Smart Things support are no longer doing it because Logitech has their own smart hub coming soon. That’s a direct competitor to smart things.

Whatever the case may be, SmartThings should put a “might not work ever for new users” disclaimer on this Harmony blog post so people don’t waste the $300. That’s $300 ST users might divert to buying from the ST store!

I think this failed integration is now going into its fifth month with no clear status from either party. Yet both ST and Logitech continue to advertise the broken integration to lure new customers… I’m sure that’s a slap on the wrist in some states.