Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Would this controller work on a fan without a light? Would I just cap off the light power cable? I have no neutrals in the wall for this fan so cant use a zwave switch but was wondering if this would work for that use case.

Absolutely! . . . you would cap off the blue light wire until you needed it if you ever added a light kit in the future.

1 Like

Unfortunately I didnā€™t ask for a breakdown as I already feel Iā€™m over a barrel. Knowing would have just made it worse.

Well let me see if I can help you feel better about your decisionā€¦

The equivalent alternative is what I installed over a year ago; A GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Fan Speed Control at $45 and a dimming light control like the GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting Control Smart Dimmer Switch at $40 and then you need a Aeon Labs Z-Wave Minimote at $36 for the remote control.
That totals to $121 for only ONE fan. Yes, the retail version would be awesome when available however this solution going the repair part route is not cost prohibitive when you think of the only real alternative that is available.

Hello all, I just installed a kit and want to share my experience:

I bought the KOF controller following dalecā€™s guide and installed it in a basic 3 speed fan.
Previous to the install, I installed the latest version of the controller and itā€™s children??

Followed Dales guide and it took about 5 seconds for my hub to recognize the controller once I pressed on the power through the remote. To my surprise, it showed up in Smarttings already with this new device handler and the light child device. So there was nothing further to setup. Just enjoy. And it works perfectly

Really great work guys. Thanks a whole lot

3 Likes

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Isnā€™t it cool how it can find the right device handlers automatically? @ranga wrote the original code with fingerprint listening line because smart devices when they are paired up successfully in SmartThings is broadcasting its fingerprint. The devices handlers are then written to interpret this fingerprint and get installed automatically. Of course you did the right thing by preinstalling all the custom device handlers first. For those that donā€™t, they have to manually got to the IDE and edit the My Devices to switch out the stock device handler for KOF-CeilingFan.

OK it seems we have TOTALLY hijacked this thread with posts about the MR101Z and the custom device handler.

Letā€™s try to start posting all comments about Home Decorators Ceiling Fan/Light Controller MR101Z - First Impressions and [BETA] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller back in correct thread.

This thread we should try to get back on track with the ā€œfutureā€ release of the Hampton Bay Zigbee Universal Fan Control :grinning:

It is interesting to point out that you can also purchase it at the location if u live in Florida to save yourself the shipping cost:

G.P. Warranty Service Center, Inc.
1951 NW 22 Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311

2 Likes

Yes indeed. I live in South Florida so thatā€™s how I got my controller. Good thing too, because the first one I got was defective and had to be replaced.

Want to be clear on expectations. Installing this fan controller means the dumb switch currently on the wall has to remain on always correct?

Yes, that is the preferred method. If the wall switch is turned off then all communications and control for both the handheld remote and the hub are dead and you are unable to monitor/control accurately. For example your app could be reporting the fan is still on when in fact the wall switch has been turned off. Or you may be using your app and want to turn off/on the fan and it will be ā€œstuckā€ because the status canā€™t be updated. It doesnā€™t physically hurt anything to leave the wall switch in the circuit except your automation control mentioned above.

HOWEVER you can still get in-wall control by replacing the dumb wall switch with in-wall remote which is compatible with the zigbee receiver (and you wonā€™t use the dumb receiver in this kit)

Universal Ceiling Fan Wireless Wall Control Kit

1 Like

Finally got back to reading this. Looks like Iā€™ll have to contact KOF directly and order one! Shame that HomeDepot doesnā€™t have the kit available. :confused:

2 Likes

I bougth one piece yestarday.

I broke down and ordered two from KOF so Iā€™m sure Home Depot will have it available any moment now. :wink:

3 Likes

LOL that is exactly what I was thinking when I ordered two of them as well. :grinning:

Make sure to take part in the poll for the look of the device handler update.

Quick updateā€¦ i installed the module in 3 of my fans (2 Kichler and 1 Monte Carlo)
The Kichler remotes worked with the HD modules, the Monte Carlo one did not ā€¦ Had to use the HD remote with that fanā€¦ Glad i ordered a few remotes to go with the 4 fan modules
Still have 1 more module to installā€¦

1 Like

I have installed new one MR101Z on my bedroom, work very well for 2 days but today stopped only works by remote control and this morning works againā€¦

I use this too:
[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

I do not know what happened.

Iā€™m in for two. I ordered this morning using the info from @dalec. The agent quoted $50 plus sales tax (Iā€™m in-state) for one; when I upped the order to two, the total became $88.

Please post any device handler issues in the Beta thread so we can keep track of any issues there.

1 Like

Hi Stephan,

Saturday I remove the ā€œ3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostatā€ App then works, but I have other 3 fan works very well only in my master room I have this problem, same time works same time not :frowning:

My set Up
MR101Z
Wall remote( I do not remember model)
[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller
[RELEASE] 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat

Thank you very much for you support.