Goodbye SmartThings!

You comment is confusing to me. I moved to HE when ST abandoned Webcore. My HE hub is pretty much autonomous at this point. Everything is local and if Hubitat threw in the towel tomorrow it would still work exactly as it does today. I’m not sure how one would get burned by buying a stand-alone product that doesn’t rely on the company that makes it or their servers.

3 Likes

I run both ST and Hubitat (c7). I had no idea the C7 wasn’t ZigBee 3.0.

1 Like

Does it? I don’t think we’ll know that until we see the circuit board. To my (highly untrained) eye, it looks like all the 2.4 ghz non-wifi tests are for one chip. Could be the same as SmartThings V3/Aeotec where the chip supports multi PAN.

2 Likes

I was just asking about hubitat on another thread. I bought one because my pool controller can use it, but I never set it up.

Is migration just one at a time, or is there some tool that allows for batch migration?

No tools. Manually move one at a time

1 Like

Sir this is not an airport. You do not need to announce your departure.

6 Likes

Could be. It does look like it will support Thread, either way.

1 Like

Ooh, thanks for this. I have been a long time user of the ST V2 but this whole groovy change has made me question life and been looking at HA vs Hubitat vs staying with ST. This will give me motivation to keep ST and see how things progress for the next few months and if it goes downhill, look at the C8 upon launch. Thanks!

1 Like

[UPDATE] Looks like the board I originally posted at the bottom of this post may not reflect the currently shipping Aeotec/V3 hub hardware. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks @JDRoberts and @orangebucket for the clarification!

Here is a more recent photo showing the Thread dedicated radio has been removed

[END UPDATE]

[Original v3 hub hardware design]
The ST/Aeotec v3 ST hub was to have dedicated radios for both Zigbee and Thread.

1 Like

As originally designed, it did. So I always thought they were separate. But apparently sometime since the original design Samsung went back and worked with silicon labs and they decided to use the multi pan option to run both Zigbee and thread on a single radio. If you have the memory to manage it, that can be more effective way of avoiding cross interference, because the radio itself only handles one protocol at a time. @Automated_House was the first one to point this change out to me, but it has since been verified by smartthings staff.

1 Like

My understanding is that the production version was never populated with the Thread chip. Admittedly I completely forgot about this for a long time and so was baffled about the Zigbee/Thread sharing thing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! I never owned a v3. Still have my v2, though! :sunglasses:

1 Like

All three of mine are v2. The v3 has always been way too expensive.

If you really want one, a guy on ebay is selling ones with “broken wifi” for 50.00. Bought one it works fine with a lan cable

1 Like

i am not sure it is thanks to “goodbye” threads popping evey few weeks but my hub seems working stable for past 2-3 months. even arrival sensor works.
or did they fire inepts?

2 Likes

I’ve moved to Home Assistant for my automations and just using the ST Hub to bridge devices/entities.

Automation in SmartThings is too basic and very limited.

1 Like

Sorry which home assistant? Google?

I agree. I currently triaging my home for all my home automation on webcore and it barely do anything. Not to mention it clutters the app so bad with routines.

1 Like

“The” Home Assistant :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! I will look into it.

So tonight it looks like my house no longer works. Hardly anything that should have migrated to edge automatically has and all the groovy dth devices are dead in the water. I’ve decided that since I’m having to essentially reconnect 98% of my devices to a hub and ST did not come close to delivering the “seamless” migration that they promised and described, I’ll invest my time connecting up to an HE C7. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

(Excuse me while I manually confirm my schlage locks are actually locked.)

7 Likes