Getting frustrated with the Outages again

My system is working perfect. Modes changed, sunrise stuff worked and coffee was brewed at scheduled time. No manual reboots, resets or weird events needed or observed.

Well maybe you have a better line to ST than I do. It’s been a week or more sine I’ve had everything work right. I have to go around every night a double check all the lights that are supposed to turn off with my “power down” action because ST randomly will leave a few on. Today is the worst. Nothing working at all. Oh and my apps aren’t executing either.

Honestly a company charging hundreds of dollars for this stuff should have its sh!t together more than this. Nothing is more infuriating than not being able to depend on this stuff.

Same. All my stuff is firing as expected.

STs knows this and trust me when I say, they are as frustrated as you are. They are working quite litterally 24Hrs/Day to get this stuff back up and running to full capacity.

This issue with scheduled events is especially difficult as it seems to only affect a specific group of people. Narrowing down the root cause can be difficult in these situations, but i can assure you they take this very personally and are working tirelessly with your best interests at heart.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing whatever smartapp isn’t firing to see if that resolves the issue? I’d be interested to know if that works or not.

My 12AM event didn’t run last night, but then the sunrise event worked just fine this morning. I wish there was logging of the smart apps like there is for devices. The missed scheduled event has happened before, but usually (if ever) not more than a day in a row so we’ll see what happens tonight. I did update the temperature settings for the app last night so that may be related.

1 Like

Some people say the glass is half full. Others say it’s half empty. I say it’s time to go to the liquor store. :grin:

@wackware I’m with you on that brother. I have even been looking at Vera3 and to my despair Wink as plan B if this keeps up for a week or more.

Or for those that don’t drink

Get a smaller glass.

Oooof. Those systems will make you even more mad
 I’ve had them. Dog meat IMO :smile:

If you do go there, we (community) will welcome you back with open arms. Cuz you will be back, soon prolly.

2 Likes

because of reliability or because they UIs are ugly?

Vera has both software and hardware resource issues. If you want something that is really reliable offline, look at Universal Devices ISY or Indigo running on a bare bones Mac Mini. These are both pretty rock solid.

If you really need external access though, it involves opening a port on your router; although for notifications you could use something like pushBullet.

1 Like

They may know it, but I have been a customer for well over a year now and there has rarely been a week that has gone by where there wasn’t some glitch or other. And that whole time they’ve been diligently working and rolling up their sleeves and “we’re just as disappointed as you” and “this time we’re fixing it the right way” 
 the whole home automation market is like an embarrassing amateur hour right now. I was hoping ST was the first “real” entry, but I don’t see how they will ever get mainstream adoption with duct-tape, chicken-wire job situation that exists today

@darkoperator I haven’t checked the logs (I’m at work now) I wonder how Smartthings backbone is set up? There have been outages before and everything has worked for me but not others. Are people on the west coast on a different server then the east coast? I’m in michigan Btw. Just curious why some people systems work fine and others don’t?

thanks will take a look at both, hope it does not get to the point I need to pull the trigger but first we where told to trust that it would be fixed, then the upgrade did not go so well, after it seemed the upgrade work we now have mode issues. I’m a tinkered and a dev but if it was a hobbyist type product I would not mind, but after $1k in a month in gear and time to setup it is becoming frustrating

Without knowing exactly what is going on I’m not sure you can make these types of accusations.

Not sure whats happening, but this is the first “glitch” i’ve seen in a very long time. With the pace at which they are growing any company would have problems staying “up” 99.9% of the time. Do you remember Facebook when it first got started? You were lucky to be able to log in once a week and now its a multi-billion dollar company.

While it’s true that I don’t know if they are actually using chicken wire and duct tape
 I assure you I have been as customer and a dev long enough to know that a significant chunk of stuff is “hacked” - can point you to then entire SmartShield “library” which is not documented at all and you have to fumble through code comments to figure out how to interface with it.

Reference their entire API until very recently was the same way - almost no documentation, APIs that either didn’t work at all, or did work, but not in the way we were told. Things like “RunIn()” where you want a task to be run in X seconds
 is really a suggestion
 it will run “around that time”

The phone app is just a mess
 there’s the Dashboard, “Things”, Hello, Home!" etc. I want to turn on my light - I can do that from the dashboard
 I want to dim it, Gotta go to “Things” - want to switch to “Away” mode - that’s obviously done in “Hello, home!”

I could go on for many more paragraphs. I’ve been living in this world a long time. I know exactly what the deal is.

I also left out a bunch of switched randomly dropping offline, apps being really slow (lights turning on 10 min after being triggered) etc
 just look at these boards.

1 Like

I challenge you to find something better. When you do let me know. I’ve had them all. Dog meat compared to STs.

Yeah, I know. Reference my earlier comment about the entire “home automation” market being amateur hour right now. But being the lesser of evils does not make it good. “Hey, we’re not as bad as the other guys” is nota good strategy

2 Likes

For the long term I 100% agree. But for right now that puts them at the top of the market place. They have big plans. Stick around. Facebook was the “Best Worst” option when it came out and now look at it. (I keep using this example because its the best way to illustrate that growing pains are necessary for a new field) If it was just status quo, we’d always have status quo. STs is challenging this field, so i actually thank then for these growing pains as it makes the HA field a more stable field in the future.

Thomas Edison’s teachers said he was “too stupid to learn anything.” He was fired from his first two jobs for being “non-productive.” As an inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb. When a reporter asked, “How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?” Edison replied, “I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps.”

It’s about to get crazy around here! We’d love to have to along for the ride! :smile: