Get ready to make the switch!

Post screenshot of the automation

I have only used sonos with STHM and they tested ok

I just tested with a light switch turning on and it read the message on my sonos speakers

This about all I can see or set

That should work

Will wait to see what the support gurus have to say. At least you pointed me in the right direction on the critical water valve issue. Thank you

What’s the right way to have a notification show up in either History or Messages in the new SmartThings app?

I have several SmartApps that used sendNotificationEvent() to add useful info to Notifications -> Messages without showing a toast directly in the app. Those events don’t show up anywhere in the new app. What should I change in my SmartApps so that a notification shows up without a toast? Is this a bug in the new SmartThings app?

1 Like

For whatever reason, they decided not to show presence as a device in the new app. You can kludge around it with this:

1 Like

Well that works slick. Thanx

With the last week being so historically disastrous on so many fronts for ST/Samsung, I’m pretty sure at their Monday group video call that at least one of them with a correct mix of conscience and business savvy, will suggest extending the forced migration into mid January. I can’t see how they can’t see they’re not yet ready.

5 Likes

My experience: I’ve been a long time user of SmartThings, I was just presented with the migration option for the first time last week. As many other users have commented, the experience did not go well. And as many of you are also aware, SmartThings support isn’t what it used to be. I reached out to them for help, but since being purchased by Samsung, the support is very very basic, and takes too long to be passed to a more experience customer service tech in order to get help with automations, scenes, and any sort of “advanced features.” So after a few days of “have you restarted your phone”, “have you tried deleting/reinstalling the app”, “have you cleared your web browser’s cache”… I gave up and just deleted the many automations and scenes that did not migrate correctly, and recreated them. So my advice, if you’re having issues, it may be quicker to delete it and start over, and don’t rely on support@smartthings. Of course, this made my experience horrible, since I’ve got many virtual switches and complex scenes/automations that I had figured out how to get working years ago (and long forgotten my logic). My advice, wait to migrate until you have to.

That all being said, I do have a question that I haven’t found a clear answer to in the community or in the past 1600+ replied to this thread.

Is there a way to click on a device and see all the smartapps, scenes or automations that use the device like we could in the classic app? If not, when will this feature from classic be added to the new crappy app? Sometimes when a device triggers, I’m unable to find what caused the trigger, and it would be helpful to have this feature that we have long relied on, added to the new crappy app.

8 Likes

Nope, there is not

ST does not provide any details on timelines nor what features may come in the future. But this is one feature many users ask for.

My advice - rip the bandage off and get it over with. Experience the pain now instead of delaying what is going to happen :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @jkp, that was the sense I was getting after reading through many, many posts. Which is insanely disappointing.

My main motivation for wishing I waited, was maybe, just maybe, they’d continue to add features and improve by the time anyone made the move. I wish I had waited, maybe issues would have been fixed, and then I wouldn’t have had the issues with migration and had to recreate so many things.

1 Like

I do believe updates and features will be added to the new app over time. But as far as the migration goes, it is going to be a bit of a hassle no matter when the person chooses to migrate. Converting routines to automations and scenes - ugh!

My advice is to completely ignore jkp, his zealousness in encouraging as many people to experience pain is perturbing. You’re right to wait, the new app has so many missing features still, it’s a downgrade, and lacks reliability it shouldn’t even be in the app store.

6 Likes

I agree, on so many levels…

As a tech geek, I had become complacent with my functioning smarthome setup. Where I’m thankful, is that this experience has forced me to (re)educate myself with the current options available to integrate all of my various devices together. Not to get off topic for this current thread, but I’m checking the community for suggestions of other options… either other hubs currently available, or even self-host solutions. If anyone knows of anything good, worth checking out, please PM me or post a link. I’d be very interested!

2 Likes

No, but you can still see the same information on the device page in the IDE.

Will the information ever appear in the new app? The existing information seems to be looking at subscriptions to the device within the Classic environment. It isn’t obvious that the same information is readily available in the new environment. I’d imagine it might be there somewhere, but not necessarily exposed in an API yet.

Totally an option for now… Unfortunately, that’s only an option until they do away with the IDE.

1 Like

No offense, if I may comment on that: If smartthings isnt able to provide a seemless experience then it IS the wrong provider.

So my advice: Rip the bandage off, throw the hub in the trash or put it on ebay, and switch systems to something like Hubitat.

7 Likes

Have you tested or do you know if this runs locally under STHM?

The device is local, but STHM is not local.

I’ve already had a couple leak alerts, so I know it works, but it’s not all local because of STHM (at least to my knowledge).

1 Like