GE switches and outlets

(Mark ) #1

I’m in the process of adding switches and outlets to my house. I have successfully installed a couple outlets and they are all working great. On the other hand I’m not having much luck with the switches. Several of the existing switches are 3 or 4 way in that a single light can be controlled from multiple switches, all hard wired. In this case do I need to install a regular on/off switch and then add-on switches or should they all be on/off?

After installing the on/off switch nothing worked. I didn’t even try to connect it to the hub yet, I was merely trying to manually turn the light on/off and nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I use these switches also. For a 3 or 4 way application you get the Add On Switch for the other switch areas after first installing the 1st real smart switch such as this: http://www.amazon.com/GE-12723-Add-On-Switch/dp/B00RKJS8MQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1441038636&sr=8-4&keywords=ge+smart+switch&pebp=1441038687111&perid=1Y46QR9HYR5CAM9K37M8
As far as why it is not working, if it is the new version you have to have the neutral wire hooked up.

(sidjohn1) #3

[quote=“mgraber, post:1, topic:21385”]
. Several of the existing switches are 3 or 4 way in that a single light can be controlled from multiple switches, all hard wired. In this case do I need to install a regular on/off switch and then add-on switches or should they all be on/off?
[/quote] 3-way: 1 on/off or dimmer and 1 addon, 4-way: 1 on/off or dimmer and 2 add ons

[quote=“mgraber, post:1, topic:21385”]
After installing the on/off switch nothing worked. I didn’t even try to connect it to the hub yet, I was merely trying to manually turn the light on/off and nothing.
[/quote] 3-ways can be very confusing this guide may help, if not call an electrician. :smile:

(Someday my dog will be automated) #4

If you don’t really need, or want, some of the switches to be 3-way or 4-way, you can always just hook up one of the on/off or dimmer switches and close the circuit on the other existing locations. This is how the Lutron Caseta switches work. You can then place a cover on the hole of the existing switch.
Just giving you a different option, but again, if in doubt, call an electrician.

Lutron use their own patented designs and proprietary protocol. Consequently they work differently, and are wired differently, than most zwave switches. So I would be cautious using them as a model for any other networked switch.