GE/Jasco ZW+ In Wall Motion Sensor (26931) Misidentified and Motion Detection Mode Change

I have been installing GE Smartthings wall switches and fan controls for months now and having no problem connecting and automating when various activity and mode changes occur, turning on and off the fans and lights,etc. I just installed the ZW+ In Wall Smart Motion Switch. Going in to the Smartthings app, I was disappointed to discover that the app thinks that it is a dimmer switch and has the controls for a dimmer. This foils my plan to do what I want from the motion sensor.

The plan was to change modes during the evening. So, the switch would be in manual mode most of the day, as we have a big frosted glass window for light, and most of the night, so as not to wake the partner as we go into the bathroom at night. However, we would like to have the mode change to occupancy mode during the evening until bedtime, approximately from 30 minutes before sunset, or 4 pm if sunset is not possible, until bedtime.

So, if anyone can help me with getting the item properly identified in Smartthings but more especially getting the motion sensing mode changes to occur the way I want, or suggest where to go to do that, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance

If you don’t mind some custom code, @MichaelS has put together a custom dth that (pethaps along with webCoRE) can do what you need.
You can find details and ask questions on this thread:

1 Like

TonyFleisher,

I would try any help, understanding that I am a novice with little coding experience at anything and would ask and really humbly require step-by-step instructions to implement any solution. However, once I learn I am a competent user.

Thanks
Todd

TonyFleisher

May 17

If you don’t mind some custom code, @MichaelS has put together a custom dth that (pethaps along with webCoRE) can do what you need.

You can find details and ask questions on this thread:

The following FAQ is based on the classic app, but it’s still useful because it will introduce you to the terms and concepts of using custom groovy code with smartthings. :sunglasses: (The topic title is a clickable link)

Very cool. Perfect explanation. Thanks so much for the link. I am going to give it a try along with the previous links and see what happens.

1 Like

So I added the DTH per instructions. I THEN deleted old the device in Smartthings and added the new one. It added according to instructions. It is now installed.

Thank you for all your help. I have another question.

The on/off is on the main screen and the other controls on the Settings screen. So for automation, only the on/off control is available. Is there any way to get Settings automated, as well?

Thank you for all of your help. I successfully installed the suggested motion sensor. It works as advertised. I am a little frustrated not being able to install webCoRE. Cannot install manually. Anyway, I am going to try Alexa Routines instead. I do really appreciate all your help.

1 Like

I’m reviving this thread for 2021 to see if anyone knows of an edge driver or built-in SmartThings support treating this as a motion sensor.

1 Like